Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,618 Members

Please welcome our newest members: BBEA ANGELIC, HMAZO, MLISING, JHAYLO, AEREVE

Rebuilding your Self-Esteem

14 years ago 0 50 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Goofy,

Thank you. You've made a good suggestion. Taking slow is probably best. I guess I never thought of breaking it down into slow, separate steps like that. You've opened my eyes to somethng that would appear to be of commen sense and easy to see. Hoever, in this case, your input has helped me to open my eyes to that possibility of trying to regain control of my thoughts. I appreciate your help.

Fallabe12
14 years ago 0 1044 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Fallabe

I can understand your frustration to maintaining continuous awareness of our negative thoughts and behaviors.  It does take a lot of time and mental energy and I have fount it to be physically exhausting as well.  I can tell you I have gotten better with it over time.  However, sometimes I get tired (literally) of doing it.  Some things have become automatic, some things I'm conscious of and am working on and some things I'm just now recognizing.  I would suggest you just start with one or two....work on them and then add a couple of more.  lol, I have a long list to add.  When you get tired, give yourself a break, pat yourself on the back for making as long as you did!  That is what works for me.  And then I pick up and go at it again.  
I hope this helps - I would be glad to hear of other ways to do it or how others do it.  I canso relate to how time consuming, frustrating and exhausting it becomes

Lost,

It's very understandable how you would feel you are not yet fully ready and equipped to go through with therapy. However, you giving up and stopping the therapy is just one more way your depression is trying to hold you back. You must fight this no matter how hard it is. If you resist therapy, things might not get better anytime soon and things might get worse. I'm not saying they will, but, I just think you should be careful and take more time to think about it before you decided to stop therapy.

What is the severity of your depression, would you say? I hope this is not too personal, forgive me. But depending on the severity of your depression will determine how desperately you need this therapy. Ask yourself, are you able to mentally afford not going to therapy? I think you should do some reconsideration and try and figure this out. Don't give up!! Depression make it too easy to give up. Keep at it!! Then, later on, after some time, if it seems to not be working for you the way you anticipated, then decide to end it, but please do not quit before you even really start.

Hang in there,
Fallabe12
That should be I can't, not I can in the last sentence of mine. I definitely will spell check next time. I make enough errors in my life, I don't need typing errors as well. Lol.  
I understand he importance of changing negative thinking, thus leading to the changing of one's behavior. However, I feel that my negative thoughts are so automatic, I don't even know when I'm thinking them. I'm not very conscious of it. Having to monitor my thoughts seems like such a grueling task. I easily get frustrated when I try to monitor myself and often give up. If I am successful in monitoring my thoughts and replacing the negatives with the positive ones, I only have that for a day or two and then it goes away. I can seem to keep it going continuously and consistently. Any suggestions?
14 years ago 0 910 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
As for challenging my inner voice! I am working on it! lol!
14 years ago 0 910 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hugs to all who need one or want one! I agree, hugs are good!
14 years ago 0 63 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks all....
I'm sure you will be hearing how it goes.
14 years ago 0 1044 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Lost, tis a wonderful thing to be able to crawl into someone's arms at any age and have a good cry and not worry what others think.  If we need a cry and in another one's arms, lets do it!  Need not be ashamed.
Sounds like your Thanksgiving weekend was pretty difficult.  I know mine wasn't as bad as I thought it would be but sucked.  I usually don't look forward to Mondays, but I'm excited about going to work - outside - in the rain - freezing. 
I hope things pick up for you as that holiday is gone for now.  And prepare yourself for the one ahead.  I'm going to start working with my therapist on that one - maybe be a little proactive.

I agree with Pete, don't push help away.  Hang in there with the therapy and it is very hard and it hurts sometimes to go through the therapy process but it is so helpful.  I also think your husband sounds very supportive of your continueing your therapy. You  left there with hope and exercises and enthusiasm.  I think you can regain that.  Don't give up on the therapy  - that just may be one of those distorted thoughts????????

It seems you have a lot of information in this post you made here that could help your therapist with what you've been through this past holiday weekend.  Take it and go. 
More hugs and (if needed) a boot out the door to go to the therapy appt.

14 years ago 0 63 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Pete you always having insightful and encouraging things to say. I appriciate your input as well as the input of others.  I suppose we all have a different perspective on life and what not... and we all have a different way of saying things.... Knowing that I can just say---whatever and yous won't laugh and slam the door in my face means more than you know. I did read your post about "mindfulness training"  Actually, I think I interrupted a great discussion between you and Goofy.  I had never heard of (or thought of) mindfulness until then.  Oddly, the next day is when my therapist mentioned it.
 I thank you for the hug... now, may I just sit there for a while and cry?

Reading this thread: