Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.750 posts in 47.055 threads.

160,535 Members

Please welcome our newest members: BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN, Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima

Agoraphobia

11 years ago 0 218 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi abriannamama,

I can understand how pulling out a paper bag may not be your thought when in public. Though there is a purpose of that strategy (has to do with levels of Carbon dioxide and slowing breathing), there are alternatives that may help to similar degrees. You can try structured breathing, which in our program it is called box breathing. See auxiliary session 10 and then click on the couple of breathing sections. 

The goal is go use the breathing techniques to reduce stress, and when done effectively, it can even lower heart rate. Try to inhale for 5 secs, through your nose, hold for a couple of seconds, then breathing out through a parted mouth. Then hold again for a couple seconds. Then repeat. You can find more details in the section I mentioned (aux 10) of the program 

Hope this helps
11 years ago 0 4 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Though the root of my problem is panic disorder, I have alight issues with agoraphobia, I have had panic attacks while at parties and shopping at the store. I have not gotten totally to the point of avoiding public places, but I worry I could get to that point. My doctor recommended breathing into a paper bag when I am having symptoms of vertigo and dizziness because it will ease the symptoms. I don't know if I feel comfortable breathing in a bag in public though. Do you have recommendations to make this coping strategy work while in public? I am hoping coping strategies will help me avoid avoiding public places and social scenes.
11 years ago 0 1853 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
This week we talked about panic disorder, its characteristics and physical symptoms. People experiencing panic disorder may also develop agoraphobia, which arises form the worry that further panic attacks might occur. Agoraphobia causes a person to restrict their normal activities in an extreme way – they tend to avoid public places, such as shopping malls, public transit or restaurants for fear that another panic attack my occur. In some cases, home may feel like the only safe place to be therefore reducing ability to function in the outside world.

What have your experiences been with agoraphobia? Do you have any questions that we can help you with?

Reading this thread: