Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.750 posts in 47.055 threads.

160,535 Members

Please welcome our newest members: BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN, Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima

Consider cutting caffeine

11 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I enjoy wine.
I enjoy making it too.
But I limit myself to a glass with supper. Rhubarb which is not a very exciting plant makes an excellent wine that goes with most meals. Alcohol does effect how a person thinks and feels. So does caffeine from tea, coffee or chocolate. To a small extent you can deal with this change in thought pattern. You can also choose when to live with this change too. I have one coffee in the morning and no chocolate or black tea after supper. If I break this rule then I have to live with the consequences. Some times I do but most of the time I'm pretty good. Medication side effects are more of a problem for me because I have no choice when I take them. 
I have one advantage. I have learned for the most part how to deal with the anxiety and panic that comes as a side effect of caffeine and alcohol. For those who haven't avoidance is the best bet. You can go back later or use it as a treat for your accomplishment.
The choice is yours. (I seem to be flogging this poor horse, but it is true) The choice is yours.

Davit.
11 years ago 0 11215 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks for bringing up alcohol Shari.

You are right, alcohol can cause problems with anxiety and depression - it is best to avoid it.

And yes, Shari is right, avoiding situations that scare you can reinforce the fear so you should work towards facing your fear but avoiding food and drinks that exacerbates the anxiety is a good idea.

Ashley, Health Educator
11 years ago 0 1071 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I think they meant it's not good regarding avoidance in situations.  For example, if you're afraid to do something specifically, not to avoid it, it makes it worse the next time you're in that situation.  In this case I think they are talking about health and not adding additional food/drinks that make symptoms worse. 

Shari
11 years ago 0 10 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I have cut my daily caffeine intake significantly and it certainly does reduce my anxiety symptoms. However I thought avoiding something that causes increased anxiety is not going to help anxiety in the long term?  I believe there was a thread about this from an earlier date. 
Hope it's okay to bring up one more item - alcohol.  I rarely drink, but had a Mojito with lunch with my daughter the other day and it was a big mistake.  A lot of the drinks have lots of sugar in them and it just really made me feel off and bad.  I have a very low, if not zero, tolerance for alcohol and it did a number on me.  You are always told it's a depressant and it will calm you down, but it had the exact opposite effect on me.  I felt really anxious to the point of it being uncomfortable.  I used my coping skills to get through it, but I felt off for a good while, so much so, that I'm going to pass on all alcohol in the future.  I don't want to feel that way again.  Again, it's how it effected me personally.  I don't know if other people find it to be the same experience or not, I'd be interested to know if alcohol effects anyone else in the same way?

Shari
11 years ago 0 1853 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Shari,

You brought up a good point.  Sugar/Candy is also on the list of foods to avoid in order to manage symptoms of anxiety.  

Members, if you are up for the challenge, cut out coffee and sugar from your diet this week - and share how you feel or what changes you notice, either physical, mental or emotional symptoms (better or worse) after one week.  

I agree.  And, for me personally, sugar aggravates symptoms of anxiety and gives me the same feeling as caffeine.  I remember in the 70's growing up in Northern Maryland and all of the kids, including myself, would be jacked up on Kool Aid and yardstick plastic tubes of Pixie Sticks.  All the kids would cup their hands under the giant Pixie Stick for the powdered concoction while others were chewing off bits of sugary candy off of the candy necklaces everyone was wearing.  We'd run around like wild hooligans in the neighborhood on a sugar high.  The memory of it makes me laugh and when you're a kid it doesn't seem to bother you, although I don't know how we made it to adulthood on that stuff.  But, as an adult, I don't find the anxiety symptoms caused by sugar, to be fun; I'd rather spare myself the icky feeling :)

Shari
11 years ago 0 1853 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
There are many foods that can be aggravating your symptoms of anxiety.  Drinks that contain caffeine like coffee, tea and hot chocolate inhibit the production of hormones in the brain like serotonin, the "feel-good" messenger in the brain.  Caffeine can also affect your ability to sleep - leading to anxiety and stress. 
Consider replacing coffee and black teas with herbal teas and water.  Staying well hydrated and getting enough sleep will help improve your mood significantly!

Reading this thread: