Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.750 posts in 47.055 threads.

160,540 Members

Please welcome our newest members: BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN, Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima

Positivity

12 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi anerol

Yes I understand what you are saying. You are not the only one that got caught in that trap and had to work your way out. I'm glad you understand it and it is not forever.

Davit.
12 years ago 0 517 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Davit,
I said I don't like it when people say that it's a cure to everything because It sounds limiting to me. If someone thinks they're negative then if someone else tells them that being only positive will get you better then, the negative person will feel discouraged and feel like there's not hope for them. Well, at least that's the case for me. 

But I think if they can be understanding, like you, by saying that it will be hard and more descriptive, the negative person can feel more hopeful. I think I was a robot before I got anxiety, to tell you the truth. I was always trying so hard to be perfect and not make a scene. I still have that mind set, that's probably my core belief.. but I THINK I am more accepting and actually appreciative that I'm not a robot but those tendencies still appear. 
12 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Anerol

Changing negative thought to positive thought is how you get rid of anxiety. That is a fact. BUT. It is not going to happen all the time and it is not necessary or desirable all the time. It would be like toast with out peanut butter. ( you don't want to be the same all the time even if it is safe, that would be boring to you and everyone else ) Variety in life is desirable. Blocking out all unwanted emotions would make a person a robot with no personality. We need to be who we are. We also need to visit undesirable places and times so we know we are alive. What we need is the ability to change negative thought to positive so that when the load gets out of hand that we have a safe place to go. In other words stopping the thought before it becomes disturbing or a panic or anxiety attack. My Apples and Oranges thing. Be who you are but visit the other world for the necessity of doing it but never let the negativity get so high you lose control. 

People need to stop looking for perfection so much that it gets pared down to the point that it has no meaning anymore. That would be like taking all the paint off a canvas and leaving just white. It would express nothing even if it was safe. ( you wouldn't offend any one, but would you please anyone. )

Davit.
12 years ago 0 517 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I tend to have a difficult time thinking positively because I feel like I get stuck and stubborn in my negative thinking. But when I can realistically realize that things can be seen positively, a lot of weight does get lifted from my shoulders. However, I don't like it when people say that that is the cure to everything because if we knew how to do it, we wouldn't be negative.
12 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
It helps me create some new self-talk, and practise or rehearse different behaviour.  It's hard for that to anchor, though, since the world around me may support the negative behaviours that are part of my negative core beliefs, which I practise(or was...where did I put that list?)each night.
12 years ago 0 2606 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hugs4U,

Reframing a negative thought would be an example of positive thinking. How has being able to reframe negative thoughts benefited you?

Samantha, Health Educator
12 years ago 0 252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

I really believe in the power of positive thinking now..This was not always the case for me..I was definitely a pessimist before starting the cbt program..
The cbt program here and someone very close to me helped me learn how to be a positive thinker..I really couldn't see how this person could be such a optimist and be so positive about life and so trusting...I have really learned a lot from him and the other positive people in my life..I believe that when you associate with people that are optimistic and positive you also become more optimistic and positive....

Red.....
12 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Vincenza, what's the difference between thinking positively and "reframing" a thought record which is negative?

12 years ago 0 1853 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Positive thinking can be a very powerful tool to use in everyday life. Those who use positive thinking are more likely to anticipate happiness, joy and a successful outcome to every situation.  Some say that whatever the mind expects, it finds.

Members, what are your thoughts on the powers of positive thinking?

Reading this thread: