Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.750 posts in 47.055 threads.

160,537 Members

Please welcome our newest members: BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN, Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima

Flower Power

13 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Davit, Sunny, Guy,
Maybe we should change our pics for a week to flowers...I'm just hooked on these hills though...!
13 years ago 0 1665 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Good sunny morning:   Delphiniums!  They come in different hues of blue, purple, pink, white.  They are awesome to me and make me smile everytime.  When you have a big patch of them, it is just heavenly.  You can use the whole stalk for bouquets, or you can just use the flower part for decorations.  I love 'em.   Oh, and the old fashioned Hollyhocks.  Then there's the Alaska Daisy, a beautiful show.  What about the coralbells?  A good old fashioned perennial which has been around for a long time.  Never fails.  I really like climbing vines too, clematis, red trumpet vine, old roses climbing over a wall or arbor.  I could go on and on.  I guess I love them all, but especially the delphiniums.

Your friend, Sunny
13 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Wild crocuses, they remind me of renewal, and determination. Besides I find them very pretty.

Davit.
13 years ago 0 89 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I'm kind of a burly guy, but I LOVE flowers! I really do! I don't know if there is one that is my flat-out favourite, but I like to buy my sweetie Bird Of Paradise flowers. I think she might only like them because I keep buying them for her.
Gerber daisies are great too. I also have fond memories associated with geraniums and sunflowers. The smell of the geraniums reminds me of late spring and the sunflowers make me think of late August as a kid out playing. We also had a print of Van Gough's sunflowers on our kitchen wall, so it reminds me of good times in the kitchen too.
Kalanchoe is nice as well.
I like nasturtiums because they are pretty and taste like lettuce with just a hint of pepper.
Crocuses remind of early spring so I welcome them.
Tulips remind me of the days I lived in Ottawa when my son was very young. I used to put him in the bike trailer and drive around the park. So they make me think of my son as the cutest baby boy ever.
Dogwood bushes are wonderful too. I guess down east they call them Orange Blossom bushes, because that's what they smell like. 
There is a plant that I've only seen once. My mom had it in every garden we had. It had the most beautiful little violet flowers and long grass-like leaves. It would open its blooms in the morning and then close by afternoon. She didn't know what it was called either so we just called it the morning glory.
Maybe I should get some flowers tomorrow. ;) Good thread!
13 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Vincenza,

My favourite flower is the rose. I had this wonderful english literature professor who cultivated them, knowing their latin names as well. The gift shops are great at arranging them, and they have a pleasant aroma.  There are so many of them with many colours!

13 years ago 0 1853 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Finally, Spring has Sprung  (at least for those of us living above the ~49th parallel)!  Time to switch over to your Spring/Summer wardrobe, dust of your bicycle, get outside and smell the flowers (no matter where you live).  

Our sense of smell is one of the most important and powerful senses.  Each time you inhale, the odors travel to the frontal part of the brain, the part that controls emotions.  This can elicit memories that we have experienced, heighten emotions tied with that experience and create new memories each time we smell the same scent.  Flowers are positive emotion-inducers!  

The next time you feel overwhelmed in your journey to better health, walk to your local flower shop, stop and smell the roses!

What is your favourite flower?  What emotion(s) does it evoke for you?

Reading this thread: