Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,528 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

Anxious

13 years ago 0 63 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you Juanita,

Your post gave me so much comfort! :) xoxo

My next physical I will bring up to my Dr about the 24 hour monitor. What is it with us! LOL

Keep me posted on your appointment tomorrow I am sure everything will be fine.

Thanks again,
13 years ago 0 538 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Maggie,
Just recently I wore a 24 hour B/P monitor....I have the same fear of Dr's and  high B/P as you ...at the Dr.s it goes around 160/100....sometimes even higher. But after wearing the monitor and finding out my average reading was 120/76...I'm not worried about it at all...some of my "at peace" readings were as low as 98/55. One of them I was at the Motor Vechicles place geting my licence renewed..I was shocked when I found out that it was only 130/80 ha!
So now instead of getting even more anxious about how high it will be in her office, I'm working on acceptance..accepting that this is just me....(this is what we talked about last time)...and the hopes are if the pressure is off of me to have a "normal" reading my anxiety will decrease and it will be normal...she actually said to me that I had the most extreme case of anxiety she's ever seen..she's only young...ha! So next week I have an appt...but I'm not worried at all, will see then how the reading goes. High or low....its ok...anyhow, just a thought for you .
Juanita

13 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
My monitor is:   Life Source, model  UA-767 plus.  Distributed by A&D Medical.

1 888 726 9966  might get you the name of a distributor near you.

It isn't totally silent but a lot quieter than most and it single pumps, some monitors have an alarm or they double pump if you are over 149/90. Of course that just sends it up. This one has memory, it might be cheaper without it.

Here for you,
Davit.
13 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Maggie,

First of all, remember you can tell your doctor how you feel.  If your doctor is aware of your concerns he/she may be able to assist you to relax or at least have understanding when looking at your results.  Also, check out the relaxations techniques auxillary session.  Having a relaxed body can help you have a relaxed mind.

Also, pull up the 10 questions in session 3.  These questions will help you to challenge the anxiety you are having. 

Let us know how you do!

Ashley, Health Educator
Hi Davit & Sunny,

Thank you for your reply and support. Physical is done was anxious as the Dr. knows me and my blood pressure phobia. As soon as he walked in the room I said Dr you know I have been looking at that machine since I walked in here and that machine had me anxious for 2 days! LOL

Anyways, I did take a couple of blood pressure readings I had done for the past couple of months some high some low as he said nothing for me to worry about. When he took my blood pressure it was 160/90. My EKG is perfect & my ECHO have been perfect. It's all nerves..Anyways, Davit what is the name of the monitor you have at home as I would like to buy it and check my pressure at least once a month?

Thank you both again.. xoxo 

13 years ago 0 1665 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Maggie: Some people do experience what they call "office pressure".  I do all the time.  My doctor just laughs and says I'm allergic to her.  I have a monitor at home too and before going to my appt. I take it every day two or three times for at least a week and write down all pressures to show the doctor.  Needless to say, they are much lower at home.  I think it's anticipatory anxiety which makes it rise, I get the white coat syndrome all the time.  Good luck.  Maybe a relaxation exercise at home just before going to your appt. might be helpful for you.

Your friend, Sunny
13 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Maggie 

So it is not just white coat syndrome. I'm stable but mine is still higher in the office. Box breathing should bring it down some, but for me the best is to keep track at home with my own monitor. I have one of the newer ones that doesn't double pump and is almost silent. I take it three times spaced five to ten minutes apart and average it. If you are really a lot higher in the office than at home it would be good to keep a record at home and take it with you. 

I used to use mine when I had panic attacks to think it down. Calm thoughts and deep breathing would actually bring it down.

Here for you,
Davit

Hello all as some of you may know I have a phobia when I think about my blood pressure. Tomorrow is my annual appointment with my Dr and all day today I keep thinking about my blood pressure being checked tomorrow so I am having an anxious day. So scared it is going to be high. I make it go up on my own with that anxiety and fear of it. What a strange phobia. I have to admit I laugh at times about it. I am sure that phobia is part of my anxiety. Any suggestions on how to relax for this in the am?

Maggie

Reading this thread: