Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Alex 2 1
lara 1 0

Most Loved

Browse through 411.750 posts in 47.055 threads.

160,559 Members

Please welcome our newest members: PMYKEL JOHN, Water&Forest, MBERNICE ASTRID, SLOVELY MAE, BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN

starting from scratch

14 years ago 0 31 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks everyone for your replies, I know I'm very impatient and this is something I have had to unlearn as it can cause more frustration I think its just a case of taking it a step at a time.  I have pushed myself hard in the past and then bereated myself when I haven't achieved my goals, I have had anxiety(mostly social) for over 20yrs and have kept it under control with medication but due to a major change in my circumstances I want to deal with it from a different angle as I think mine involves self esteem as well.  The cognitive part wasn't around before so the repeated exposure helped but didn't get to the root of the problem.  Hopefully combining what I am learning on the site and the feedback I receive from others who are effected can get me on the right road and if I learn anything on my journey I will be able to give something back.  I maybe just need to centre myself and remember its all worth it.

14 years ago 0 81 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Ladybird,

First I have to start by saying I thought of you the other day.  I seen something that said "LADYBIRD"  on it and it reminded me of you!  :)    I have to say that posting and seeing replies helps build the confidence that you need.  Not just you, I should say that WE need!  I keep telling myself that my panic attacks like last night are a reminder that things could be worse.  It does kind of help some.  I hope that this will help ya!  Try to keep busy!

Lisa
14 years ago 0 11215 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Ladybird,

I am glad you are using the program.  Working through the whole program can help a lot and will especially help in addressing avoidance.

What has motivated you before? Members, how do you increase your motivation?

Ashley, Health Educator
14 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
ladybird.

A year isn't that long actually. some things are pretty set and do take a long time. I have found that if I just cope that it is a form of mild exposure and slowly the anxieties have been shedding like a chicken moulting. Some have just gone on there own. If you learn some exercises to cope then you wont be so worried every time you have to do something new. Oh yeah, the anxiety will still be there but it wont be able to settle in. Try it, it works. At the end of the day do some reinforcement exercises. Sit quiet and revue the day and tell yourself that it wasn't that bad and tomorrow will be better. Lie if you have to! If you do this often enough you will start to believe it and silently it will be true. Don't be surprised if some of the anxiety just fades away on it's own. Be aware though of the ones that try to sneak in. And the new ones. For those you will still need the relaxation and distraction exercises. Soon you will find yourself doing them unconsciously. This one doesn't make sense but it works, smile a lot and laugh at yourself. It might be a form of distraction, I don't know but it does work.

Davit.
14 years ago 0 31 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Feel like I'm starting again as some of the things I was doing last year I have not progressed in and the anxiety is still there which is not helping my confidence to try new things.  I have read the exposure section and thought I would try the breathing exercises to help my confidence so that if I am in a situation I can get the anxiety down before I have a panick attack, any tips for trying to build the motivation and determination up again I really want to be OUT THERE! enjoying life just feel I'm going round in circles and not to sound "poor me" I'm exhausted!

Reading this thread: