Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,529 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou

Anxiety and the bathroom

15 years ago 0 3 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Wow! I totally thought I was alone with this.  I too have a fear of having to go while I'm in a car or somewhere that there isn't a washroom readily available.  I find relaxation techniques and thought distractions work best.  The more you focus on what's happening, the worse the anxiety becomes.  Thank you for posting.
15 years ago 0 955 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Thanks for adding this to the discussion TaraElizabeth!

Members what advice can you offer TaraElizabeth? Has anyone had a similar experience?

Sarah, Health Educator
15 years ago 0 16 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I thought I was alone on the whole "#2" thing.  I have a huuuuuge fear of having to go while I am in a car, or somewhere where there is no bathroom.  Ever since I was very young I have had this fear.  I try and make myself go before I put myself in any situation where this could happen.  Once, I was on my way to a baseball game (when my panics and agoraphobia were under control)  with my fiance, it was in a big city and during rush hour, we were stopped in traffic in a tunnel for 2 1/2 hours, I needed to go soooo bad, I thought I was literally going to have an accident.  My stomach was killing me, and the panic attacks were making it sooo much worse.  The fear of the tunnel, traffic, and me having diarreah were dreadful.  Aughh I don't even want to think about that, it was AWFUL.  Any suggestions for someone like me who is so scared of this?
15 years ago 0 466 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome to the board Tsa! 
It may be a pain in the butt method of doing things, but can you can get off the bus and use a restroom at a nearby store?  The more you realize you don't have to sit through it, maybe that'll help.
15 years ago 0 406 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Tsa78,   As mentioned in Danielle's thread, you may want to try voiding before entering those social situations in addition to a relaxation technique.  If you have an ipod or mp3 player handy, upload some relaxing music that you can listen to and keep distracted on the bus.  Plan on exposing yourself to social situations more often to help you overcome your panic attacks in these situations.  Take the time to review our program as our program can help you with this.    Karen, Health Educator
15 years ago 0 1 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I have similar problem... I get worry about having to urinate during meetings or on bus rides. However, the more I am worry about it, the more urgent sensation I have to go. Sometimes I try to force myself in reading on the bus to distract my thoughts from thinking about urination. But it's difficult and so far it's not very successful. So if I am some distance away from getting to the destination and I have the need to urinate, my panic attack symptoms come and I feel awful for a while afterwards before I get back to normal.
So anyone with suggestion how to cure this??? 

15 years ago 0 778 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Think everyone hates going erm in a public loo . Why oh why do they have open top cubilcles . Its just so wrong !!!!
15 years ago 0 313 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Ok.. this thread just made me laugh... and Miki.. .I hate when that happens...

After two kids you'd think I'd get over embarassing bathroom behaviour yet I still don't want people to know I do "that".....  ha ha!!  My hubby and I have been together FOREVER and I still wait till he has left the house... unless I'm desperate..and if we're away... never in our hotel... haha!!  Ridiculous I am...but hey...

15 years ago 0 40 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
haha this thread makes me laugh.. i always try to time my work bathroom visits.. but sometimes they don't work out as planned. i remember living at college i would go for number 2's at the weirdest times, like 2am, 3am and my body just got used to it.. probably cos i was trying to avoid the 'busy' toilet times.

Diva - i'm glad someone else has the problem.. and truely sympathise!!

15 years ago 0 477 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I get uncomfortable also! But something I learned when I used to work was... when I would go in after someone went #2 and I come out and someone else is waiting for the bathroom... they're going to think I did it.. so I might as well have done it, ya know?? Hahah.

Reading this thread: