Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,507 Members

Please welcome our newest members: ALAICA, JD7, Ww12, Fwcl, anonymeLouise

Smoking

14 years ago 0 183 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Quitting smoking was one of my most recent changes I made in my attempt to overcome my panic issues, that as well as diet and excercise ( body and mind ) 

I always wondered if smoking and panic had a relation, so I researched it. Nothing is concrete as their havn't been a lot of study on this, but the studies I have found do indicate a relation to panic/anxiety in smokers.

So in my attempt to work on my issues, I chose to quit smoking. At 25 days quit I notice a difference. I am much more calm and the short drives I have been making are better.

It doesn't happen over night, we need time to heal from the effects, you can't expect to quit and the next day all is well. I do think once you give your body and mind time to heal, not only will you benefit from quitting, but the way you think and perceive things will be better as well.

I was diirected to the Stop Smoking Center site from here. It is a wonderful support community. We can achieve our goals here and not be alone. It makes a huge difference.

14 years ago 0 9 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
You breath the right way but I think the cigarette makes it worse. I think the cigarette sucks the oxygen from your blood and your body releases adrenaline to keep itself going after the toxins being breathed in.when we have a panic attack, alot of it is due to unnessecary adrenaline in your body with nowhere to go so when you have a cigarette and it starts releasing adrenaline your body starts to go into fight or flight mode. I think anyway... :confuse:
15 years ago 0 23 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello everyone

I have been a smoker for 13 years, and quit a week ago. I have been suffering from major panic attacks, with a constant light- headedness, diziness off balance, nausea and so forth. I'm also taking B-vitamin complex and read a lot of positive, meditation and inspirational books. I force myself to go out and chalenge myself on the things that scares me. I feel so much better every day and it seems like i'm heading in the right direction.

So back to your concern, i dont think you being a smoker at one point in your life has to do with your current panic.

I hope this helped you and all the best

take care

15 years ago 0 1693 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Sonia,

I am glad to hear that you are going to join our sister site, I think you will find it very helpful.
It sounds like you are motivated and determined to become a healthier and happier you...so stay strong, and please keep us posted on how you are doing

Breanne, Bilingual Health Educator
15 years ago 0 8 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
hi everybody!

I started smoking because of a bad day in my life when I had a big argument with my father and he beat me ....very sad, I don't want to remember!Since then, I always used to light a cigarette whenever I was feeling sad&stressed, whenever I wanted to "look interesting" or whenever I was bored or depressed.

I tried to stop smoking last year and I managed ...but only for 6 months....the worries made me think about smoking again like it was a sollution to my issues.
Today after I read these discussions here I realize that 1 thing is true: smoking affects anxiety.I have a very uncomfortable feeling of anxiety right before I light the cigarette and then I feel toxic for some minutes and feel the need to stop smoking.
The tought that smoking helps is just a false one because in the period I didn't smoke I felt much healthier and proud that I am controlling my weakness.
       The uncomfortable feelings I had just before doing something serius or important  were not going away with smoking.they were just delayed I think....because if smoking would help then why the worries keep appearing and make us light another cigarette?
      I see smoking as a vicious circle, a sort of weakness and also a way of appearing "cool" or more talkative.I saw that some people always talk more than usual after they light a cigarette and also appear more friendly if you light a cigarette, too.
Is like "why don't you smoke a cigarette?c'mon, just one!"...subtle invitations to be a smoker are everywhere.Especially in very hard times or when there are many smokers around you.
     Today I would like to think more about how bad smoking is...especially when I am anxious !And I will join the twin site, too because I have some ideas to stop smoking!
     Make a change in your life, choose to be healthier and less corruptible!

15 years ago 0 5 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I've been a smoker for 12 years and have been chain smoking during this most recent episode. HUGE congrats to everyone who's managed to quit, because I often feel like smoking is one of the only things that calms me down.
I don't drink alcohol (maybe one or two drinks a month, if that.... last drink I had was on Dec. 19), and my counselor and MD suggested that I try to give up coffee and cigarettes. I've worked in a squillion coffee shops and am looking to open one within the year... I drink coffee like crazy! I'm talking up to 6 shots of espresso a day, plus one or two cups of drip. When things were really bad for me in early January (back to back panic attacks or being in a constant, unrelenting state of panic and not sleeping more than 3 hours a night), I thought I'd cut out the coffee. But! It only made it worse. I know that it's probably psychological since this is counter to everything that they say coffee is supposed to do to you, but I've always associated coffee with relaxation and happy, good feelings. So after three weeks of no coffee, I got myself a latte. I felt so much better! It settles my stomach and calms me. Like I said, I know that's totally against everything they say about caffiene as a stimulant, but coffee just makes me feel better and I'll never cut it out again.
As to the cigarettes... I know I should quit, but just thinking about doing so makes me light one. And I get anxious if I'm running low on cigarettes, so I don't know how good it would be for me to try to quit while I'm still dealing with this rough patch.
I have huge respect for all the anxiety folks who managed to do it!
15 years ago 0 52 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Congratulations to all you guys and gals that have quit smoking and have found the courage to do so with anxious minds. I'm so jealous. No really, I want to quit smoking and had planned to just before my intial anxiety attack a month ago because my mom and my friend were in a program and were having great success. I have a book about anxiety and it says that now is problably not the best time to go cold turkey, but make it a goal, and try to only smoke in moderation. Space them out. The book also says, that an anxious person will light up and actually have a calming effect, because you are breathing like you are suppose to. Doesn't this make so much sense? This is not really what is happening, but because you are breathing correctly (minus the smoke of course) your calming yourself and think it's from the cigerette. When I first became anxious I went from about a pack a day to a pack and half. I'm back down to my usual pack now that I know what my problem is. Of course there are days where I feel I need to smoke more and some days, I smoke less. So to you and me, let's make it a long term goal if nothing else and try to kick the habit as soon as we feel strong enough, but only if you want to quit. I know I do, for my kids sake. I don't smoke in the house, but still it is not a good impression for them.
15 years ago 0 538 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Congratulations Zoe on 6 days without smoking. Woohoo!
15 years ago 0 7 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Im also trying to give up, today is my 6th day, finding it very hard but i know if i have one then i will feel anxious and panicy as thats what it did before, im also very unfit and want to start doing areobics as ive heard it helps anxiety plus it costs so much to smoke, and i have 2 kids who ask why i smoke, so thinking about all these helps me say no to the cravings, plus ive told people so dont want to let them down and last but not least if i prove to myself that i have the willpower to stop smoking then i must have the willpower to beat my agoraphobia lol

good luck to everyone else whos trying and well done to all those who have give up
15 years ago 0 1693 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Karla,

Have you considered joining our sister site, www.stopsmokingcenter.net?

Breanne, Bilingual Health Educator

Reading this thread: