Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,526 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

I Lost It

10 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Red,
What do you mean by "pulling a permit"?
10 years ago 0 2508 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Davit,

I sure would like to get out of the noisy insane city..As you know I have traveled around a bit and looked but have not found anything yet. During this time my health has gotten to be a bit of a problem and we have gotten older.
So a large property is out of the question because we could not do all the work ourselves now..We could hire help but will have to find out what the possibilities of getting help would be in the area we move to..Time is marching on and it sure would be so nice to have a quiet place to spend out our days..The freeway is at the end of the street and creates a lot of noise for us now but would not be a problem for a person who spend most of his or her time at work..We are retired and home most of the time now and are not traveling as much as we used to and would love to find that quiet magical place to live and spent the rest of our lives...and get away from all the noise and the crazy neighbor..

Still looking..
Red..

10 years ago 0 2508 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Davit and Hugs..Love your pics...Beautiful!!

Hi Hugs..your neighbors having a handyman and his wife over at 10 pm is a bit strange..makes me wonder if their is something else going on over there..

As for loosing it..your reaction sounds pretty mild to me..I guess you could say I have been loosing it a lot lately..I look at it as asserting myself which has paid off for me lately. I got tired of making calls and sending emails so I put my a complaint in writing and posted it on Yelp..That sure got everyones attention and heads starts flying and my problems at the clinic were magically taken care of..

Of course if  this was a issue with my neighbor next door that would be a different story.. Our neighbor on one side of my property is a bully and he gotten stranger over the last year..He even installed motion lights and cameras out on his house..We pulled permits and put up a 6 foot fence 2 years ago in front because of him hitting our house with balls and his dogs running up and barking at us when we were trying to come and go out our front door. We pulled permits and had a inspector come and sign it off when we were done. While I was in the hospital last year this same neighbor built a storage building out of brick on our property line and within 6 feet from my bedroom..I asked the inspector if we could build storage on the property line and he said no it has to be setback 5 feet to be legal and to prevent a fire from jumping from roof to roof..so I emailed a complaint to the planning dept..We tried to talk to the neighbor and he threatened us, saying we should of said something earlier. We told him that was not possible because I was in the hospital when he built it..His response was to threaten us and say if you want to play that way we will play that way. We are not sure what he meant but he did scare us.. So we don't even try to talk to him now and avoid him like the plague..He is that scary..and guess what his illegal building is still standing on the property line within 6 feet of our bedroom window..except now we have to wonder if he is going to get up on it's roof with a ladder and climb over the back yard fence and into yard and coming waltzing through our back door..

If I was you I would be careful and pick my battles with neighbor with caution.. 

Just a little note of caution.
Red..
10 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hugs

For a grump in reasonable health the country works, see we have freight tacked onto everything except taxes. Taxes are low and if I burn some wood in winter, grow food all summer, buy things on case lot sales don't drive too far and limit how much I play on my tractors the cost is about the same as yours. I get free hospital care, free ambulance trips and almost free medication. Electricity is my biggest expense. These are the things that chase people back to the city. But for those that are self starters and can see the advantage of working part of the time on their own place it works. The right place here can be paradise. The wrong one can be a drain. There are better places than mine, but not many. And what price do you put on quiet. In the city, quiet can be very expensive.

Davit
Davit,
As you said before though, the view makes thin soup.  On the other hand, the cost of living in the city is probably much higher than the country and if I weren't such a grump, and could manage it, I could be connected to to the pulse of a vibrant arts community,etc.

Right now I'm walking around like a zombie since I ate to many cookies from anticipated conflict.  Two things I remember about this are a) what I fear hasn't happened b) What I fear isn't what I'm afraid of, but the association with needed the people around me at some point.  They probably helped mom out when I was out travelling for the company that burned me out, bullied me, and discarded me, so I'm barely able to crawl out of bed, and have the life people are expected to have after giving a loyalty to a "corporation".
10 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
The reason there are bylaws is simple. When someone owns something they think they have the right to do with it what ever they want and when ever they want. Courtesy is the only controlling factor. Used to be, good fences made good neighbours but now bi laws limit their height and material. I can pretty much do as I please out here as long as it won't damage the highway and is low enough that planes won't hit it. Erosion is the only other factor. As long as I pay my taxes I'm left alone. But my neighbour is a half mile away and sometimes I hear big trucks go into his place at night. It is certainly better than constant city traffic. Cities are getting so big now one might as well live on an acreage. The drive to a crowded store makes the higher expense of a local store seem worth while. What price is sanity.

Davit
I was probably rude, but had to whisper "stupid" while our neighbour and her new handyman was working for the 3rd day in 5 days in the back garden.  I was taking out the garbage, and felt I probably slipped, since her visiting handyman's wife turned around slowly.

I probably was impatient since I didn't get much done today since my stomach was aching.  Also, I don't believe I'd be listened to if I said anything about.

I checked with the bylaws and I can record what's going on for someone to check on within five days.  If it was urgent, I could understand, but gardening décor is not urgent, at 10 pm.

Reading this thread: