Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,527 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

Making adjustments

12 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
~m 

Nope, we live about 2000 miles apart in different countries. Of course they might be if we went back a few hundred years. My older cat Thomas's sister looks more like Reds cat.

Davit
12 years ago 0 376 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you Davit and Red for your encouragement and insight about this wonderful journey.  Are your kitties related? 
12 years ago 0 2508 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks Davit..She is such a sweetie..

I have been thinking about getting another pet for a long time..My little dog maggie passed away 6 yrs ago. I had so much anxiety over the idea of a new pet but not yesterday it just seemed like the right time and the right kitty..I can not believe how much working the cbt program here, having the support group and Educators has helped me...Ashley mentioned rewards and like I said before, being able to enjoy my life without panic and fear is the reward..I was able to get this beautiful kitty and I am enjoying her so much.. This is my reward..Living and enjoying the simple things in life again...This is living....

Red...
Pretty kitty.

Davit.
~m ,

Thanks for posting and sharing your experience too..I am so happy to hear you had a great time at the wedding..I know what you mean about it not being forced..Isn't it great..I wouldn't worry about mild depression I also get this after having things go so right. The exposure and anticipation about doing the actual exposure can be a little tiring. I think that my be why we are a little down after..I rest for a day or two and then I am fine again..It used to take days if not weeks or months, now it's only a day or two..We both have come so far...I am so proud of us..

Red...
Davit,

It sure is a believably good feeling..I just love that word..

BELIEVABLY!!!

Red...
~m

You haven't been saying much lately so I was wondering. It seems you are doing really well, even handling the after shock. It is normal to have that wondering feeling after a success since your mind in past would have said "I can't do this" But you have proved you can. There is also sometimes a mild depression when you start to think about all that was lost when you couldn't. There is also the "was it just a fluke" thought to deal with. Seems you are handling this very well.
Sounds like it just came natural and wasn't forced. I'm impressed, not that I didn't think you could but you were not saying much so I wondered if you were stuck.

Red 

When I tell people it will just happen without conscious thought they don't believe it since everything to this point has been work. But it is simple, enough positives in your memory bank and you will use them smoothly because there are not enough negatives to interrupt. Not that you won't have to build positives to new situations but it does get easier because you have positives to build on. And this you will do subconscious hence the feeling that it is just happening without your input. 

Both of you, is this not an unbelievable good feeling.

Davit.
12 years ago 0 376 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I was wondering if anyone else has noticed that it is getting easier for them to make adjustments to things and situations in life since they have been doing the cbt program??

Red....

Yes Red...  that is exactly what has been happening for me too.   My daughter's wedding was last weekend in another town... there were so many potential triggers (or should I say old triggers?)... travel, being with lots of people, staying in a hotel, boarding the pets, eating in public, having my picture taken, etc. etc. etc.  Such a long list of fears!  

The weekend went beautifully.  No worries... no upset... in fact, my dh was pretty nervous about everything and I was so calm and relaxed, friendly, smiling the whole time.  Naturally so... not forced!  I actually enjoyed the whole thing.  It was so smoothly done that I did not even have to think about strategy and backup plans or escape routes.  I just did it.  My older daughter was amazed 

This week (post-wedding) has been more of a challenge.  Have settled into a mild depression.   Before I would have panicked about that and taken myself deeper into it out of fear & self-loathing.  But this time, I'm telling myself this is a normal reaction to a lot of changes.  Kind of laying low and trying to just go with the flow... no judgments or panic.  We shall see.  I'm glad you are doing so well and are willing to share your success with us. 

Ashley and Davit,

Thank you for the support and Adda Boys..
The changes I have experienced and the reframing has been so subtle that I hardly noticed it was happening. Till last night when I was able to reframe my thinking and go back to working on my project. Which I was enjoying doing. It brought tears to my eyes when I realized what had just happened..I had changed for the better and it was becoming part of who I am now.

My reward is being able to enjoy my life more fully..This would not have been possible without the program here
and all of the support I have received from everyone here..When I think about the changes and progress I have made
it brings tears to my eyes..I am looking forward to the positive changes that will come as move forward.

Red....

Red

Yes and like Ashley says it is hard to do. Old habits die hard. But once started it does get easier.
Just that positive builds positive, negative builds negative thing. I've been doing that for a while. 
I picked up the habit from a guy that finds good in everyone and every situation. Annoyingly so, but he is happy. Nothing seems to bother him.

Davit

Reading this thread: