Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 7:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Cognitive Exposure

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Alex 2 1
lara 1 0

Most Loved

Browse through 411.751 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,576 Members

Please welcome our newest members: RREYES, TBACARO, RMUEGA, LARISTOTELES, DeeTart

What it means to believe

13 years ago 0 286 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
KT,

I'm so glad you got a good night's sleep and that it helped you feel better in a lot of ways! You're right, it doesn't mean everything is fixed, but is an important victory and I hope it will lead to more and more of them in the coming days and weeks. I'm glad you'll be sticking around - this support group is really a wonderful tool for us all!

All the best,
Teebs
13 years ago 0 122 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Davit,

Just wanted to say that I hope you have a quick recovery, and that
you will be up and around soon! We learn from you that even when
we hit a bad patch we can still cope and come through it. YOU are an
inspiration to us all. Take care of yourself.
My best to all.

sweatbee
13 years ago 0 538 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
KT,
So glad to hear you got a good night's sleep! you did it, and can do it again....and no crying today, wow! You sound positive now, and thats great!
I agree about Davit....what a remarkable attitude!
Juanita
13 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
KT

So good to hear, congratulations. I won't likely be in the hospital all that long, I will go home as soon as I can walk again.
That it how it starts, one accomplishment at a time. You just have to see and believe it works.
Yes please stick around so we can be here for you if you have any tough times.

Here for you
Davit.
13 years ago 0 18 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Well folks... I slept! I slept I slept I slept! And for about 8 hours before I woke up at all! I spent today feeling normal work tired instead of complete meltdown tired, and I haven't cried once all day.  Even though I've felt anxious about other things today, and even about whether or not this sleep thing would last, it was good to remind myself that I can do this.  I don't want to get ahead of myself here, but I've got one victory under my belt--a good start.  Thank you so much for your support... it really has helped! I took an herbal sleep supplement (even though I probably didn't need it) and went to bed an hour earlier than usual.  I think giving myself the extra time made me feel less like I was in a countdown to doom, and more in a period of rest that I knew I desperately needed.  

Davit, I am sorry to hear that you are in the hospital again.  But I really am so inspired by your attitude.  Your words have really helped me, and I hope that I may return the favor.

I think I'll be sticking around.
KT

You are doing well even if you are sad. Being worried about catching a cold or the flu is normal to. Remember sad can be either negative or positive or both at the same time.
Sad is okay. I'm sad right now because I'm in the hospital again but I'm also glad there is some where to be when I can't walk. So it is okay.

Here for you
Davit
13 years ago 0 18 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Honestly, what I think gives me the ability to hang in there is that I have no other choice.  If this were any other situation with any other job, I would probably have quit whatever it was by now if I was feeling this way.  But the internship I am working is just a part of the hard work I've already put into my degree, and I just don't want to run away from the process anymore.  Plus I really love the work itself, it's the presence of anything that makes me feel trapped by commitment that I use as an excuse to obsess.  Depression is much more a part of the mix, because of that.  I realize how much acceptance really has to go into it, too, and how much of my resistance I have to let go of.  Boy, what a daunting prospect.

To update you, I'm having a hard day.  I fell asleep pretty easily last night, but then my partner struck a fever in the middle of the night and was tossing and turning so much that it basically kept me up every hour or so.  I was really angry this morning, until I realized how sick she is, and then all I could do was worry that I was going to get that sick too, when I cannot really afford to be sick.  I felt pretty guilty once I got home, because I can't let myself take care of her like I want to, because I am afraid.  Like I said, I have optimism about the situation on the whole, but these dark days really can weigh on me.  Thank you so much for your kind thoughts.  As badly as I don't want to be doing this, I want to work through it if it means there is something brighter on the other side.  All I can do is just try again tonight.  

To answer your question, Ashley, I suppose what I am really learning is that I will be okay, even if I don't feel great all the time.  My general milestone has been the two-week mark in the past, where after two weeks I usually "can't take any more" and I find some excuse to quit what I am doing... of course then I feel just horrible about myself.  I just don't want to do that to myself anymore. Sure, I'm sad that I'm not happy, but I at least know I'm not doomed, and feeling that way significantly reduces my panic.  Not liking the way I feel is so vastly different from feeling out of control.  This entire experience is a gift, even as painful as it can be.  I just want to prove to myself that I am strong, since so many people seem to believe it is true.
13 years ago 0 538 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
KT,
Hi! You are very strong! I like reading that you are optimistic.  I was just reading an article on the reoccurance of bed bugs...nasty! You have a great attitude toward them!
I hope your psychologist app't goes well. I'm glad to hear that you are open to different approaches...let us know how it goes, thinking of you.
Juanita
13 years ago 0 11216 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
KT,

I am so impressed with your strong attitude right now. 

Not being able to sleep can be extremely frustrating and functioning on little sleep can be quite anxiety provoking  To add to the mix you have bedbugs!?  That's no fun at all!  But you are getting through it and winning victories all over the place!  This attitude will get you far in addressing your anxiety; I know you will get a handle on this.  Keep posting, working on the program and taking breaks.  Little by little you will get there and I am so glad I can be on this journey with you! 

It sounds like there has been some shifts in your perspective?  Is this true? What are you taking away or learning from dealing with this sleep issue?  What is the gift here?

Take care!  I will be sending positive sleep energies your way!

Ashley, Health Educator
KT

Interesting. Often something some one posts brings back memories for me. And some times I have to tell myself I am one of the free ones, this can't bother me and then it doesn't. I used to have a bowl of cerial when I couldn't sleep, It was light enough not to give me nightmares and the milk (calcium) was calming. 
There are lots of common physical things that get mistaken for panic. Some can even cause it. You just have to learn to separate them and what ever they are tell them to go away till tomorrow you have no time for them tonight.
Did you find that if you don't concentrate on sleeping that you do? 

Here for you
Davit

Reading this thread: