Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,523 Members

Please welcome our newest members: mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH, ALAICA, JD7

Depression Panic Attacks

10 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Naa

Statistically more people with depression have panic attacks than the other way round. Depression is different from being sad. Depression is chemical, sad is mental. Being sad can be treated with CBT but actual depression needs missing chemicals replaced.

Depression can certainly cause anxiety, but so can just being sad.
A couple of questions: Is this depressed feeling new? How depressed? As in I can't do anything and it is so hard to even move or just I don't feel like doing anything. How up and down, so up you work all night and feel you don't need sleep and then so sad you only want to sleep or just more like life is letting you down sort of depressed with days that are okay.

I don't know what you are using for coping and relaxation skills so I can't say if you are doing CBT wrong. You could be.

The thought of taking medication is probably adding to your panic since you don't want to.

Is your Doctor a GP or a Psychiatrist?

It is not unusual to wake up early with a panic disorder if it is conditioning. Some people wake up in the middle of the night at the same time every night. Because it becomes annoying it creates panic which increases the chances of it happening. If it is just conditioning you can break the habit by forcing a change of thought by something as simple as getting up and making a cup of tea which you set by the bed and you don't need to drink it, but you do have to go back to sleep. If there is not enough time to do this before you have to get up then you can get up and feed the cat or brush your hair, look out the window, anything to make the waking up belong there, even though it doesn't so there is no reason to panic. I'm retired so I can do the cup of tea and go back to sleep thing no matter what time it is. Or I can just get up. What ever you do it has to be your choice, not panics choice. 

Theodore is a seal point siamese I rescued from death as an unwanted kitten. He is going on seven. Jasper (jabber, he talks a lot) is a siamese but lighter but not with lynx point markings, just lighter because he is only around a year. He just showed up one day in May and I've managed to convince him it is okay to stay. I'm the only person he is not afraid of. He will come in to eat now and sleeps in the house when it is cold or wet. He is going to become a house cat like Theodore. (theodorable) Both are males.

I'm good, just tired and bears getting in my apple trees is making me sad and mad at the same time.

Davit
10 years ago 0 85 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Davit
It's been a while. How are you doing? What's your cat's name? He or she?
I would really appreciate your take on this.

I have been up and down a lot in the last couple of weeks. My panic attacks seems more severe yet I am workinh harder than usual to help myself - Maybe I am not doing this cbt thing right? My doctor thinks I will benefit from a course of Lexapro but I am hesitant to try medication. I think it may be adding to my anxiety...

10 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
No, but you know I will check it out. Might take a couple of days.

Davit
10 years ago 0 85 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Can anyone shed some light on this? Someone pointed out that if you wake up from sleep with panic and wake up early most mornings with panic that you have depression panic disorder - that you dont necessarily have to have feelings of sadness but the that the underlying cause of the panic attacks are due to depression? Anyone heard it explained this way before?

Reading this thread: