Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,525 Members

Please welcome our newest members: PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH, ALAICA

Close to an Attack

12 years ago 0 542 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Sunny and Carmie,

Hot showers and baths DO help, I love the flowing water on me. Today I am very anxious, I think its because I had very bad dreams and then drank two cups of coffee, I know very bad! to wake up now I am paying for it, coffee is not good for someone like me, one weak cup, but not two regular ones, it will wear off, I just hate waking up all shaky from those dreams.

I found a program on television, I think its the "church channel" its called "REFLECTIONS" its so peaceful and serene, it plays soft soothing gospel music and shows nature scenes, sunsets, sunrises, waterfalls, rivers, etc.... have you ever seen it? it helps, I still have too take the klonopin through, a low dose it does help through I wish I did not have too take it at all. oh well!

I am just hoping and praying that I can muster the strength and energy for Christmas for my family, I love Christmas, through Easter is my favorite, I want to go too church and see the alter all decorated and the grotto and prayer chapel, but I am so nervous about going, why I wonder? its such a beautiful place? I am working on the agorophobia now and heath anxiety, I am so grateful the panic's are almost gone, through it comes close sometimes, I guess its going too take more time, I am yelling STOP when I get those thoughts concerning sickness and death, and I try to distract. You guys have been great, thank you!
12 years ago 0 373 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Sunny, I love the relaxing tub idea!  Debora, I wanted to add that I was able to easily find some recordings (podcasts) of someone reading through the PMR exercise, which I found helpful in the beginning.  Of course, you don't have to follow any particular order of which muscle groups to relax - but I think it helps to have some guidelines (so you remember) and it's not as relaxing to read them yourself.  That's why I like the podcasts - and I would say more than half of the times that I listen to them - I fall asleep half-way through - but no pressure to do that.  Just relax and enjoy!
12 years ago 0 1665 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi D:  A good hot soak in the tub before these exercises helps too.  Just relax the muscles in the tub, put a candle on, soft lighting, soft music.
Good luck,
Sunny
I am going to start to do the exercises, I like how Carmie referred to them as a "vacation" thats what my body and mind need a vacation from my thoughts! I just wish I could sleep at night instead of during the day, its getting worse, I am not falling asleep till 6:00 or 7:00 o'clock in the morning and its terrible! then I sleep maybe five or six hours during the day, I am so tired my body aches from fatigue, I will do these before I go to bed maybe they will help me sleep! Thank you.
12 years ago 0 1665 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Me too!  Still use them often.  

Sunny
Hi Debora - Yes, those PMR exercises are so good.  They have really helped me when I've been anxious.  They help all of your muscles to relax - it's like a 15 minute vacation!  You should treat yourself.  I have to say that there were times when I didn't think that the breathing and the exercises and the homework were working - but everything is coming together now.  I really believe that you will be sharing similar stories soon enough!  Have a wonderful day and find those peaceful moments - they are there!
HI Carmie, Maybe I will use the relaxation exercises to sleep better and calm down, my sleeping has been terrible lately and its causing friction in my home and bodily symptoms, I posted about it on another thread. I am going to keep walking through, my dogs love it and I know its great for me, they pull hard sometimes but I am getting use to it. Its great that you run! Thank you.
Hi Debora - 
A year ago, I would never have believed it would be possible for me to be a runner.  I really enjoyed walking and when the cold weather came, I started walking on a treadmill (which I found boring but I enjoyed the exercise benefit from it). A friend told me about a program you can follow to really gradually begin running - and here I am a year later running as if I've done it my whole life.  I wish I could tell my teenage self how much I would enjoy it!  I am an ex-smoker and I've struggled with weight for much of my life.   Running has helped me to feel young again!  End of my running commercial :)  You too know the benefits of exercise and how good it can make us feel.
Anyway, I am on day 3 of almost no-anxiety and I'm pretty giddy about it.  Tonight I may finally try my panic simulation homework!
PS - If you look under the Auxillary Sessions, Progressive Muscle Relaxation is listed as PMR - it's in the same section as Box Breathing - I really think you'd like it!
Thats GREAT Carmie that you ran six miles! Wow! That is impressive and wonderful. Good for you! I don't run but try to power walk the dogs pulling me helps, I wish I could run, maybe some day I know its good for a person. Reading and walking help me and sometimes watching TV, but I would like too get out more into the world thats my Christmas wish! To join the world again, I do go out but not much, I did go to the store tonight and got a few things, one was a Christmas topper star.

I think you would like those movies, Leap Year is precious, the fighter is excellant, the acting alone is worth watching it, but the language can get bad, they say the "F" word in it a lot so little kids might not watch it, there is no sex and little violence, good movie but they could of toned down the language. I hope you enjoy them. and I hope both of us have a great week! Thanks.
Hi Debora.
I've added both of those movies to my list of ones I'd like to see.  I had wanted to see "The Fighter" after I saw the Oscars and they I forgot about it for a bit.
I am happy to have had two good days in a row this weekend.  This mild weather is something else.  I was only going to run for 3 miles today but it was so nice out, I ran for another 3.  Every weekend I think is going to be my last chance to go outside to run for a long time - and then I keep getting surprised with these "gift weekends", I call them. 
I hope that you will enjoy a peaceful evening tonight, watching some movies that inspire you.
I read that you are trying to get in 30 minutes of activity when you can.  That is very admirable. It is nice to read that you value this, too.  That is a guaranteed 30 minutes when you are taking great care of yourself and putting yourself first.  It's so important to remember, isn't it.  Enjoy!

Reading this thread: