Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,502 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

Physical Symptoms

14 years ago 0 2 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

hi ashley

thanks for your response.  i am hoping to see a naturopathic doctor next week.  i am hoping that they can help me to treat the symptoms and tackle them from a preventive perspective.  i am just seeking relief... this latest symptom is something that i have never experienced... it is so intense and oddly painful.  has anyone else experienced intense pins and needles/prickly feeling all over your body.  i even feel them on the bottoms of my feet when i walk.  if so, how did you relieve your symptoms?  thanks for any feedback.

14 years ago 0 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Kham,

I hear the frustration in your post as I read it and it frustrates me aswell. Especially when you say doctors say it's "only anxiety".  I think they are unknowingly doing it but they are still minimizing what anxiety is.  Anxiety is very real, with very real symptoms.  The good thing is that anxiety can be managed and controlled, you can lead a normal life. 

Have you tried any alternative therapies? Counseling,, homeopathic doctors?  There are lot of options and since you say medication is the last resort they are worth looking into.  Also, have you started working your way through the program? What do you think of it.

Keep posting on any thoughts you have.  I am looking forward to getting to know you better.

Ashley, Health Educator
14 years ago 0 2 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
i have been suffering from generalized anxiety disorder for over 5 years now...after experiencing a life threatening medical emergency.  i have been tested for ms, and many other neurological disorders.  everything/all tests come back fine... which is great...  however am in an almost constant battle with my symptoms.  they are real.  i live with them almost every minute of every day.  i was on celexa for over a year, but i didn't feel like myself and i gained over 40 pounds. i went off of the meds in september of last year.  i have definitely had a recurrance of symptoms and they seem to be getting progressively more intense.  most recently i have experienced a feeling like my "skin is crawling"...prickling sensations all over my entire body...itching.  i made a trip to the er this past weekend to make sure that i wasn't overlooking something, but they again attributed it to my anxiety and psychosomatic pain...... i am almost to the point where i am considering going back on medication... but this truly is a lst resort for me.  what frustrates me is that physicians and the medical community seem to refer to it as  as "only anxiety"... like it is not legitimate or real. well, as i said, it is very real, very scary, very debilatating.  i am tired of living like this.
14 years ago 0 7 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello Crystal, I'm also new here. I'm glad you're here with me. I also suffer from anxiety for the past several months. Has gotten really bad in the last 6 months. How did you know you had a blood clot? I have panic attacks every night. I wake up to a panic attack when I finally get to sleep. My first response is to call 9-1-1 and hurry and get dressed because I think I'm dying! Scary!
14 years ago 0 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Crystal,

If you have concerns about your medication it is highly recommended to discuss these concerns with your doctor. He/she can change your dosage, give advice or recommend alternatives.

Advice and suggestions are good but when it comes to your medication. Your doctors advice is best.

Let us know what you find out.

Ashley, Health Educator
14 years ago 0 3 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I started to take a new medication the other day called Remeron which seems to have calmed down some of the physical symptoms.  I take this at 10:00 pm just before going to bed.  I also take a Valium at 4:00 pm and ativan as needed during the day.  I have noticed that I seem to be sleeping a lot more.  Yesteday I fell asleep on the couch at 7:30 pm, woke up at 9:30 pm got ready for bed took my Remeron and slept through until 8:00 am this morning.

Has anyone else experienced this?  Is it just getting used to the new medication that is causing me to sleep this much?

Thanks for any comments.
14 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks you for sharing your experience with us.  This is very helpful and by using the program you can progress and gain knowledge and momentum.

Step by step Crystal you can do this.

Josie, Health Educator
14 years ago 0 24 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Crystal!  I have been experienceing anxiety and PA for 3 1/2 months now.  It does get better though.  Follow the material in this site.  It seems like hard work at first but it gets easier.  Just like anything in life- if you get a new job or you're doing anew task-- it will be hard at first but it gets easier.
It is very unfortunate that we have become super vigilant with our bodily sensations which we previously have just disregarded as something else or didn't notice them at all.  This is what we're facing.  Please remember you are not sick and you are not alone.  What's happening is that we have become over sensitive to our bodily sensations.  Through exposure we'll relearn that these sensations are not harmful- in theory we may think that yes they're not harmful but they are soooooo scary.  Try your best to endure these scary moments -- I read this somewhere and it helped a lot-- During a PA you should
ACCEPT
WATCH - write down the scale of your PA every minute or 2
ACT NORMAL
REPEAT
EXPECT THE BEST

Take assurance in the FACT that ALL your blood test and EKG turned out normal.  This means nothing's physically wrong with you.  These symptoms we feel are really scary BUT not harmful.  Another exercise that really helped was-- for example you have chest pain and you're scared you'll have a heart attack-- try doing jumping jacks for 1 minute-- then observe if you had the heart attack-- then try doing it for 2 minutes and so on-- can you still do jumping jacks if you are having aheart attack? =)  Can you have a series of heart attacks everyday for weeks or for months and still be doing jumping jacks? =)

I'm not saying I'm 100% better BUT I'm hoepful I'm on my way.

With work - it does get better.

Lovine

14 years ago 0 3 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
So things seem to have gotten harder, or at least definitely not any better.  It has been a week of heavy physical symptoms with the two most prominent ones being strained breathing, or missed breaths and chest discomfort.  This landed me in the ER on Monday night where an EKG was ran along with a ton of blood work only to find nothing wrong and was told once again it is all anxiety.

The ER doctor made some great suggestions (change of medication, psychiatrist referral) which he sent to my family doctor who I saw the next day, and I have to say was very disappointed with this appointment.  Which is weird, since I normally like him so much and he makes me feel better and safe.  My family doctor seemed really reluctant to do the psychiatrist referral, although he did prescribe a new medication which I will start tonight and will hopefully bring some relief.

The other thing I am finding frustrating is my doctor keeps talking about all these other things that have gone on on my life in the last 6 months (job promotion, split from partner) and although I understand these may be a contributing factor he is not hearing me when I say that the trigger for my attacks is when I feel something physically wrong, which brings on a fear of dying.  With all the medical issues that have arisen in the last 6 months I feel as though I have become a hypocondriact and I wish he would hear me when I say that this is what I truly believe is bringing on these attacks.

Is there something I can do to get thru this?   Will all this ever end?   I don't want this to be the rest of my life.
14 years ago 0 955 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Crystal,

Thank you for sharing your story with other members here.

Although it sounds like you have a difficult time with your health, it seems like you have a very positive attitude and this can be very important in your own journey.

Take some time to read through the posts and the other resources available on the site. Many members have reported these helpful as they begin to understand their own anxiety.

It is also strongly encouraged that you speak to your family doctor or physician about your symptoms and how they have changed over time. Perhaps he or she will be able to suggest new strategies to help you cope with these symptoms.

Please continue to post and let us know how you are doing. Be well.

Sarah, Health Educator

Reading this thread: