Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

HelpPlease

2024-04-15 2:59 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.747 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,460 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Angelbaby, kencatly, jrawrz, AMARIAH BETTINA, HelpPlease

Specific Phobias

13 years ago 0 659 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Shari,  I know this is off topic but I got to say I like the new pic and your little "Fawn is so Cute!!!

Red
13 years ago 0 1071 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
As promised, I kept me and the Python avatar on, temporarily.  The little gray and white Chihuahua I usually have up (in the pumpkin costume), is Sugar; she'll be 15 on Halloween.  My new avatar is of my other Chihuahua, Fawn (a.k.a. Puppy).  She'll be 9 in Nov.  She's much larger than tiny Sugar, so people call her "The Bronx" Chihuahua.  Someone from New York City called her that, I assume it means she's big.  I have one more pet to put up as an avatar.  My one eyed tiger kitty, Nala.  I will put her photo up next.  Oh, the bunny toy in the photo with Fawn, is Sugar's "baby".  She carries it around all the time and sometimes she leaves it on the porch to get fresh air :)  I love everyone's avatars.  I saw a few new ones today, so I thought I'd switch pets, so you can eventually see all of them.  Have a great day everyone!
13 years ago 0 2606 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
That is awesome Shari! I loved reading about how you overcame your fear of salamanders! It was delightful and funny at the same time. Continue to share how you are using what you learn from the program to overcome your panic in everyday life. It really benefits everyone here and it is inspiring to hear how the program is helpful to you.

Members, how has the program helped you recently? What moment in the past week stands out to you?

Samantha, Health Educator
Well, I'm cured of my salamander phobia and I'll tell you why.  My cat brought in another one and it crawled up my leg.  It's tail was dropped off (defense mechanism - they cat probably had it by the tail, so it dropped it to escape).  I looked him straight in his little lizard eyes and felt overwhelming compassion for him.  I think when something is scared or hurt, it pulls on my heart strings.  I walked him outside and he crawled down my leg into the grass.  I pet him and found him as sweet as a Python.  I am no longer afraid, I just want to help them get outside and away from my cat.  I made friends with them.  Shari the Salamander Whisperer :)
Since you're putting up a snake sculpture (I assume as an avatar), I'll temporarily put up my photo of me and the python.  I hope it doesn't bother anyone, like I said, just temporary.
13 years ago 0 1665 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Shari:  Honestly, no way I would hold a huge python.  yikes!  I gotta get a pic up of my sculpture of a snake to show you.
P.S.  Salamanders feel rubbery - eek :D
Davit, 

My daughter had a lizard and I enjoyed him.  And, I've also had a pet mouse which I enjoyed.  The problem I have is, I'm fine when they're in a cage and they're pets.  But, there's something creepy about them being loose in the house.  I'm not sure if it's the surprise factor, or that they are wild critters.  With having a 115 yr. old farm house sometimes field mice will come in during the winter.  I end up pulling one of those cartoon character responses by screaming and getting up on a chair.  I've also had a couple of pet rats.  Thank God, we don't have the wild version loose in our house :)  I make myself laugh as well.  Your friend, Shari

13 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Shari.

I'm rolling in laughter, I just visualized you with a snake around you trying to dance out of the way of a bunch of salamanders. Have you ever picked one up, they don't bite. They eat bugs in my green house so I like them. My phobia? I'm pretty much scared of anything unknown. Well maybe not mushrooms, but you know!

Davit, the wimp.
13 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Patti

Why a phobia about bees? It is not about bees. It is a "what if", do you have any others? "what ifs" can be triggered by anything related, News, TV show, neighbours kid got stung. Some thing in the back of your mind where you don't notice it that makes you think what if. What if can be built, like core beliefs from repetition. Constantly trying to do something and failing is one way to build them. "What if I try this, will it fail." "What if I try that, will it fail". That belief is only one step away from what if I get stung, which is only one step from "I will get stung."

What if is only the flip side of it won't happen. So when you see a bee flip the coin. And use caution to get rid of it.

Davit.

Reading this thread: