Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-20 2:48 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.755 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,649 Members

Please welcome our newest members: PKENNETH LANCE, JSABAS, ASHAINE, EFAJARDO, MMAGTARAYO

panic while driving

18 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Members, In regards to panic while driving, we encourage you to use the search function to search "driving" on the Support Group.This discussion has been a topic and occurred before. More assistance can also be found through Session 4 of the panic program. Some of the examples for how to make a treatment plan have to do with driving. This may be of assistance to you. There has been lots of encouragement for people to cope by using distraction (breathing, counting cars, listening to the radio). Distraction is an "ok" short term strategy but in the long run you want to use the panic program to come up with a plan to "face your fear" in a gradual step by step way without using distraction. Distraction is not a good long-term solution because distraction is avoidance. Individuals need to focus on facing their fears, instead of distracting themselves. You can view more information by taking a look at the Panic Program. Hope this helps, Josie ______________________________ The Panic Center Support Team.
18 years ago 0 375 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
wowwww! I'm sooo proud of you Prevail! That is wonderful. The fact that you DID IT! U went over that bridge.....thats amazing. Good job! and i think you should go one day when there is no traffic. U should make it one of your exposure goals (if you are in the right week of the panic program to do so). Keep up the good work. U actually motivated me to drive over a bridge now lool. Seriously!!! way to go! :)
18 years ago 0 3 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Well, today was the day I'd be getting fingerprinted for a new job. To do this, I was to go to the sheriff's office here in New Orleans, which is not far from where I work. Because I don't have a car yet, my co-worker was to bring me. As we were getting out of the car at the sheriff's office, we were told that they're no longer taking fingerprints at that location, but were doing it on the Westbank. To get to the Westbank, you have to cross the Greater New Orleans BRIDGE, which is one of the biggest around here. I was freaking out on the inside. I slowly calmed myself down telling myself that I had to do this someday, so why not today, right? On the way to the Westbank, I told my co-worker the jist of what I experience. There was traffic, but it was moving at a constant speed - thank God! I made it across the Mississippi River in one peice, with just slight anxiety - not a full blown attack. Coming back was a little harder to do because there was more traffic coming in to New Orleans, and there was also a wreck at the very end of the bridge. We were in stand-still traffic at the very bottom of the bridge for about 10 minutes. It wasn't too bad of an experience. I'd like to try it again someday, when there's less traffic. I have friends on the Westbank, and it sucks that I can't see them because of my anxiety. Today proved that I AM capable of overcoming this. :p
Good job Prevail!!! U see, its just anxiety! Once our mind gets distracted, our anxiety is not really there. But once we have nothing else to think about but anxiety, it just comes creeping up lol. But we can do this. We have to try to be strong! There is that light inside of all of us.....we should really start to use it! I'm proud of you!
Angel, thank you so much for the encouragement! Yesterday, I tried adding up the license plates of the other cars to get my mind off of the situation, and it worked! :)
Prevail i have faith in you! The best thing for you is to not avoid this. U should get into the car and just drive again. Even if you just start out with short distances! If it helps you feel any better, i also get panicky at red lights, bridges, and busy intersections.....really i do! those are my worst moments. But i try to work through it. I know u can do it! U are strong....just get out there and do it!!! :)
I'm 23 and I've been experiencing panic and anxiety while driving since I was 18. I try to avoid interstates as much as I can, and sometimes I have anxiety sitting at redlights (especially at busy intersections). I have an intense fear of heights, so I avoid bridges as well. I avoid all of these things for fear of having a panic attack. I lost my car due to Hurricane Katrina, so I haven't really driven that much in about 7 months. I'm scared that if I get a car I won't be able to drive it.[font=Arial Black]Text[/font][size=4]Text[/size]
18 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Angela, You have come to the right place! Please feel free to roam the site at your own pace. If you look to the left of the screen under "TOOLS" you will find many supportive tests. These tests are not diagnostic tools and are not a replacement or substitute for a physicians advice. The purpose of these tests is to prepare you with information that you can present to your physician. When you're finished the test, you can either print your Final Report or email it directly to your doctor. We also have developed a Panic Program. This program is 12-weeks and involves the tools mentioned above. Each session is based on the previous session, so we strongly advise that you work slowly through the program and not jump ahead. If you have any questions or concerns with our "TOOLS" you can contact our support department at support@paniccenter.net. Looking forward to hearing from you soon! Josie ______________________________ The Panic Center Support Team.
18 years ago 0 1 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi...I just registered for this today and while looking through I saw this topic. I am 20 years old, and didn't begin to get help for my depression and panic disorder until I was 18. I never got my drivers license, and had a good excuse in high school for it. I had a knee injury for a while, but then "never got around to it"...no one knows that I am scared to get behind the wheel of a car because of panic attacks. Even the people know who I have them don't know that is my reason for not driving. Just a few weeks ago, the person driving the car I was in had to get her hair out of her face because she couldn't see and asked me to hold the wheel for a second...I said I didn't want to...and when she said "it's no big deal, just grab the wheel for a second, it's easy"...I borke down crying. Now, feeling embarassed and just absolutely ridiculous, I don't know what to do. I've come a long way with my panic attacks but this one aspect of my life is really holding me back. If anyone has any thoughts on this, or any ideas to help me overcome this I would appreciate it more than you could ever know...being so afraid is just so tiring, not to mention humiliating.
18 years ago 0 8 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Today it's snowing here... Snow and rain just makes it even harder for me to drive. Another thing I dislike is narrow lanes - esp in a construction zone, where there is no room to pull over!

Reading this thread: