Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,522 Members

Please welcome our newest members: FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH, ALAICA, JD7, Ww12

Driving Exposure

8 years ago 0 121 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
That makes sense and I need to calm myself down.  I am angry too often. 
I was tested November 2013. I am listed as a genius in languages and linguistics. I scored above average in mathematics which I was really surprised by. Mostly I was above average, but what's funny is I scored mentally retarded in puzzles. Overall I had a good IQ score although I know environment and upbringing play a role in IQ outcomes so I don't take them fully to heart.
8 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
You are absolutely right. Anxiety can often make no sense. However, people with anxiety often have high intelligence. When we are anxious our brains actually get stuck in fight or flight mode in our base brains. When we are relaxed we are able to access our prefrontal cortex more easily. Our prefrontal cortex is responsible for rational thinking. This is why exposure if often coupled with relaxation techniques and self talk. If we are able to calm ourselves down, we in turn calm down our brains which helps us think more logically and therefore less anxiously.  Ashley, Health Educator
Thanks Ashley that makes sense. Yes, that is something I can ask my therapist next time I speak with her or I can just email her and ask. It's just it makes no sense logically I know that driving should not bring on strong anxiety or panic  symptoms. I know there is no logical reason to get so worked up just because I am driving. No logical reason at all, but when I have to drive alone outside of my comfort zone those symptoms take over and that makes no sense if I know logical they shouldn't be there.
8 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
You get to decide what a moderate level of fear is based on your experience. If you are having trouble with this it might be helpful to work with a therapist who can assist you in figuring this all out. Sometimes exposure is best done with a qualified professional.

And great question, the purpose isn't to scare yourself the purpose is to not avoid what scares you and to learn how to be calm in these situations. By incrementally increasing the fear level and using the tools you learn here you are learning to change what scares you into something that you can cope with. Like with any skill or change in patterns it takes practice.

Ashley, Health Educator
How is scaring myself going to help if scaring myself got me in this ****hole in the first place?
What precisely is a moderate  level of fear?
9 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello,

Try setting small goals at first. Drive to a location and back and slowly make the driving challenges harder. Pick a location, route or time period that you think will give you a fear level of 7. You should feel challenged but not terrified. Let us know how you do.

Ashley, Health Educator
9 years ago 0 7 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
The mind usually learns from the exposure when you have a moderate level of fear.  Let us know how it goes!
9 years ago 0 96 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
How far into the anxiety symptoms should I drive my car? For those who know I have a serious driving phobia. 

Reading this thread: