Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.750 posts in 47.055 threads.

160,539 Members

Please welcome our newest members: BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN, Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima

Exposure Work

11 years ago 0 11 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks for the advice, that actually makes a whole lot of sense. I think I know how to go about the exposure work now (:
And of course - I've been seeing my doctor regularly as my panic attacks are fairly new. I'll check out the questions to the experts section & I've already checked out the session on worry and have started doing the worry challenge daily. Thanks for the help!
11 years ago 0 11215 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Sea-b,

This is a good question.  Davit has offered you some great advice. When it comes to diagnosing you though remember to check with a doctor first. Only a doctor can diagnose you in person.

Check out the Questions to the Expert section - there are a few areas there that may help you. Particularly the question about doing exposure work with thoughts. Sometimes just thinking about certain things causes anxiety.

You might also want to check out the auxillairy session on Worry. This session has great worry stopping techniques.

Let us know what you fidn out!

Ashley, Health Educator
11 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Sea-b

Half way down your post you mention the key problem. All of these things have the same root. Not having control. This is Agoraphobia. Not as most people think of it though. Hypochondria is real and is a sub of Agoraphobia. Treat it the same way. Treat Agoraphobia and all others fall in line. Almost all fears and phobia have loss or lack of control as their root. There are ways to take control of any situation no matter how bad it may seem. Acceptance is one of them. Prioritizing is another. Build your exposure around ways to take back control, and by this I do not mean "my way or the highway". The way to neutralize fear is by deciding that what ever you are doing it is your choice. It may not seem like it but it does give you back control. Use it as a mantra. "I'm doing this because I want to" . Never say "have to", that is negative. 

Davit.
11 years ago 0 11 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I'm not starting exposure work until next week but I had read through the session. I'm not to sure what I could do for my exposure work. My panic attacks are always unexpected & do not come on in a certain situation. I'll give examples of things that do make me anxious and maybe someone can help me. 
- Being the centre of attention or speaking in front of lots of people or people I do not know.
- Fear of failing or not being able to choose a college program ( I can't seem to make up my mind )
- Fear of new situations with new people
- Things are stressful at home so I also fear things will not get better & worry about the situation a lot even though it is out of my control. 
- I also may have slight hypochondria or health anxiety, when I;m sick I fear I have the worst of the worst and that I could be dying even though I know deep down that I am generally healthy.

If someone could help me figure out where to start it would be greatly appreciated!

Reading this thread: