Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,622 Members

Please welcome our newest members: SJOLINE GEL, Duncan Brown, BBEA ANGELIC, HMAZO, MLISING

hope you can relate

12 years ago 0 619 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello selena. Welcome to the forums. Here you will find people that understand you and you will know that you are not alone.
12 years ago 0 1853 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello selena,

Thank you for sharing. I love your final comments:
- "we are never as alone as we feel"
- "we have all survived this long and we will keep surviving"
and, perhaps most importantly when we feel trapped in a situation/emotion/moment - "this too shall pass"

Many here share your experiences and concerns, feel free to use the search function to find more affirmation of your above statements! Keep reminding yourself of your own wise words, and as justducky said - the important thing is to not stop doing things, even if it's small steps!

I've listed some things to consider below, that may help when planning exposure: 

1. Learning occurs at moderate levels of anxiety and arousal. In planning your exposure work don’t make it too easy or too hard. If you pick something that doesn’t cause you any anxiety (a fear rating of 1 or 2) you won’t experience a drop in your fear rating because there's really nowhere to go.  As a result, you won't unlearn anything. On the other hand, if you pick something that causes a fear rating of a 9 or 10, it may be too difficult. Try to stay in the 3-8 range.

2. Exposure should be predictable. Plan your exposure work in advance and stick to the plan. Unplanned exposure doesn’t work well. Planning your exposure makes it a bit more controllable and a little less frightening.

3. Set a goal for the exposure that you can reach. Set a goal for the exposure session. You may want to stay in the situation for at least a certain amount of time (say 30 minutes) or experience a certain decrease in you fear rating (say go from a 7 to a 5). Setting a reachable goal will give you something to aim for. Achieving your goals step-by-step will allow you to feel good about what you're accomplishing.

4. Stay in the situation until your fear goes down. This can happen in two ways. First, if you pick a situation for an exposure that causes you a fear rating of a 4 to 8, then after an hour you should be experiencing a drop in your fear rating. If not, maybe it was harder than you thought. However, there’s another way to experience a decrease in fear, which is to repeat the exposure again and again. So for example, if your anxiety doesn't come down from an 8 in the first hour, try it again the next day. Eventually, if you repeat the experiment every day, it will start to drop.
5. If something is too hard, pick something just a little bit easier. If you end up having a fear rating of 9 or 10 try to figure out what you could do that would be almost the same but would result in a fear rating of 7 or 8.

For tomorrow, keep in mind that you have already succeeded.  Let the previous successes give you the strength to take on these future challenges.

12 years ago 0 66 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Selena,

I know its tough.  I think we have hypersensitive nervous systems and many external and internal feelings, thoughts and event tend to arouse us more than others.  I think the important thing is not to stop doing things out of fear.  Because the more things you stop doing, the more hyperaroused (anxious) you will be in the future.  This isn't easy, and I often feel uncomfortable, but at least you're living your life.  The theory is over time, you notice your anxious feeling and thoughts less.

Also, about low iron levels --> take the iron pills regularly.  Once your levels come up, you will have more energy, and will probably sleep better and feel more positive.

Keep posting!

Just ducky
12 years ago 0 6 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
 I feel stressed most of the time I have 2 small children and I love them but man oh man its draining. Probaby because when I'm not focused on them, I'm focused on all the internal symptoms think have. every little twinge is some life threatening illness. went to doctor had tons of bloodwork done came back everythings great except I have anemia which he told me to take iron and ill feel much better he sees it all the time, but to me or anyone suffering from anxiety do we believe we will be fine nooooo lol. every day I go out I feel faint or believe -I'm going to to the point I probably give myself the symptoms of fainting. And then I sit back and think....of the song by Tim mcgraw(not a big country fan but like him) live like you were dying. And I think if really was dying why the heck do I want to stay at home and wait for it, at least I could be out doing something fun and exciting and die doing that. Sounds simple right lol to anyone that has anxiety ya not so much....in theory sounds great applying that moderatley challenging lol.We may not suffer from a terminal disease but in our minds this feels like one. Being trapped day after day inside minds and bodies that won't behave how we want. we wonder why me, what did do to deserve this. we sit and watch people going out shoppinf, for dinner, to the movies etc....effortlessly and wish it was us why it be that easy for me. some times you have to laugh but many times we cry because its like we are missing ou. but we all have a life and life is about people and some may or may not understand but we have each other that does.and in the middle of the night when you think you cope someone else is feeling that same way. we are neveras alone as we feel. we have all survived this long and we will keep surviving. this too shall pass

Reading this thread: