Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,509 Members

Please welcome our newest members: ALAICA, JD7, Ww12, Fwcl, anonymeLouise

FEAR List Exposed

16 years ago 0 341 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I try just keep talking to myself sometimes with I guess self talk. I try to say over and over again " you'll be ok", I say it allowed so I actually hear it. I've been trying to go for walks every day now, and I keep walking a bit further, sometimes its hard to go walking and I just say, you can do it, you need this, you'll be fine, and after i've walked a bit it passes, i do have setbacks but I try not to be too hard on myself. Today I didnt walk, I just felt so tired.
16 years ago 0 1288 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks for sharing with us members. What techniques do you use to help you deal with these fears? Sylvie, Bilingual Health Educator
16 years ago 0 11 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I truly relate to the unreality phase of a panic attack. I have often felt like something was taking over my mind or I was losing my mind. Now that I think about it the shortness of breath and anxiety feed these irrational crazy thinking. I appreciate the post on this I never thought about how the breathing affects our thinking. I started back on 5ml of Lexapro a couple of days ago. I took the medicine for about a year and weened myself off and did not take any for 6 months. I would eventually like to be med free. I realize I am just masking the problem. Thanks.
16 years ago 0 313 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi JenL10.. I went through the schizophrenia phase about 10 years ago.. LOL I actually glued the pages of our medical reference book together so that if I needed to look something up I wouldn't see those words.. Seems ridiculous to me now but it helped then... Something reassuring though that I read recently is: "People do NOT "go crazy" in a sudden or spontaneous way. Mental disorders involving behaviours that are labeled "crazy" (such as schizophrenia or psychosis) develop VERY gradually over a period of years and do not arise from panic attacks. NO ONE has EVER started to hallucinate or hear voices during a panic attack. In short, a panic attack cannot result in your "going crazy" no matter how disturbing or unpleasant your symptoms feel". Now if your like me I like to understand the physiology behind it too.. so... Reduced blood flow to your brain (called arterial constriction) that happens due to shallow breathing during a panic attack can give you feelings of disorientation and a feeling of unreality. It has nothing to do with going crazy no matter how eerie it feels. Hopefully these facts help you out a bit. They do me definately. Knowledge is power..and a very helpful tool during the rough times. Remember though it does get better and you play the largest role in your "recovery"... if that's the right word. Take care!! and keep posting. We've all been there in one way or another.
16 years ago 0 4 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
HI I just wanted to tell you after reading your post. I too have recently started the fear of schizophrenia, my uncle has it and when I am having an attack or offish day I have the fear that I am getting it. I call all my family memebers and ask if they honetly think I might have it. Most people laugh at me, my mom explained it all to me adn made me realize I don't have it but that fear is still int he back of my mind. That and going crazy! Just letting you know your not alone, and I am releaved to see that I am not either:) Jen
16 years ago 0 9 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I can not say how comforting it is to see so many others with my same fears - it makes me feel like I am not alone in this "messed up struggle" .... here are some of mine fear of dying fear of passing out fear of going places by myself (will go anywhere with my husband - he is my "safe person") fear of driving alone (still do it - but only to work and home) fear of some off the wall disease fear of a blood clot (I have Factor V and have had 2 clots in my leg in the past) fear of a stoke I have had several medical test ran to make sure there is nothing "Medical" wrong with me - but I am afaid that the dr's missed something - or I will doubt that actually know what they are talking about (??) fear that I am going crazy - that I might have to be commited if this keeps up fear of taking meds (I obsess over this part) fear that this will never go away I am afraid to be between towns when traveling - always wondering if an ambulance would get to me in time if something happened (stupid I know!) fear I will not see my kids grow up fear that my husband will get sick of all my fears and leave me the funny one is fear of going to the bathroom at work I have to make sure someone else is in there before I will go in - same for public places ...lol! and pretty much just fear of fear this could go on all day.... but will spare you guys the rest of the list ... lol!! I just started meds last week (Prozac, which I am terrified of) and looking forward to this web site helping also!! ... already all the stories and others going thru my same issues has helped!! :p
16 years ago 0 341 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi, I see a lot of myself in the lists. My fears are: driving ( i used to but had panic attacks now i'm too scared to) flying ( I used to but havent in 5 years) I just quit my job because of panic attacks. I hadnt had panic for 2 years, I was off my meds even. Going out alone, with my husband i'm fine but alone, i just recently got a panic attack. being in a car in a crash severe summer storms dentist ( i have to go for a crown its gotten to the point where i just have to go, i'm terrified of the needle.) My doctor cant seem to find the right meds for me, she keeps changing them. I feel like a guinea pig, I would like to try find other ways to help me, instead of the meds. I know its ok to take them, but the side effects are awful. Felt good to say that to others who have the same fears, thanks for being there.
16 years ago 0 313 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Miki.. That must have been a tough day. Reading your list though... I've had them all... and I'm still here.. getting through it all and so are you. I know it's tough and if you feel like chatting... I would love to. It's great to have the chance to talk to people who understand... May tomorrow be a brighter day
16 years ago 0 477 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I spent all day today... Fearing death... imagining what it will feel like. My other fears... Driving Having a panic attack while driving alone. Car accident. Forgetting to breathe. Fainting while driving. My loved ones dying. I may never be able to work again. Change... going on. Having fatal diseases. Any physical sensations I've never had. Eating and drinking unhealthy things. What I would do with out my water or cellphone. My husband stop loving me. Being alone forever. And many more....
16 years ago 0 1288 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
DazedMommy, Everyone has fears, but what's most important is to learn how to develop strategies that can help you minimize them. Work through the program and don't be too hard on yourself. Keep persevering, Sylvie, Bilingual Health Educator

Reading this thread: