Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Emergency Happy Questions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-06-11 2:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Questions to challenge negativity

2024-06-03 3:43 PM

Depression Community

logo

Social anxiety disorder

2024-05-29 1:50 PM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Most Loved

Browse through 411.758 posts in 47.059 threads.

160,770 Members

Please welcome our newest members: MereM, browcari, Cas151, Britanica78, m_ladyschoolme

Hi Everyone

21 years ago 0 1 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
HI THERE BETH. MY NAME IS JOSH AND I SEEM TO BE GOING THROUGH A LOT OF THE SAME THINGS YOU ARE. I WAS READING SOME OF YOUR MESSAGES AND IT SEEMS WE HAVE A LOT IN COMMON WHEN IT COMES TO OUR HEALTH. I'VE BEEN SUFFERING FROM ANXIETY AND PANIC ATTACKS FOR A FEW YEARS NOW. I'M ONLY 23 AND I HATE IT. I CAN'T LIVE MY LIFE HOW I REALLY WANT TO. I'VE LOST ONE GIRLFRIEND BECAUSE OF THIS AND AM ABOUT TO LOSE ANOTHER. SHE MEANS THE WORLD TO ME, BUT SHE JUST CAN'T SEEM TO UNDERSTAND. I REALLY NEED SOMEONE TO TALK TO ABOUT THIS. I'VE BEEN ON SEVERAL DIFFERENT MEDS, AND RECEIVED SOME COUNCILING, BUT NOTHING REALLY HAS BEEN ALL THAT EFFECTIVE. TALKING TO SOMEONE WITH THE SAME PROBLEMS I HAVE WOULD REALLY HELP ME OUT TREMEDOUSLY RIGHT NOW. IF YOU COULD, WILL YOU PLEASE WRITE ME AND LET ME KNOW SOMEONE IS LISTENING. THANK YOU. JSYNDRAM@AOL.COM
21 years ago 0 77 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Beth..you get a blue ribbon for saying that. The garden isn't tht gorgeous yet...but will outdo Butcharts Gardens, our main attraction here, If I have anything to say about it. Re-grassing and putting in that pond or else. The hole's been dug for 2 years.....oh yeah...I said I'd be quiet and go to bed..so ...Night all..even tho its early for me..only 11:25 pm here. Love and night to all...LUV, SUZY. ***PS...thanks for that Beth...guess whaere I'll be in the am...in the dirt!!!!!
21 years ago 0 75 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Suzy, Good to see you again! Hope your vacation went well, it sounds like you had a very relaxing and fun time! I'll also bet that your gardens are gorgeous! Being outside makes me feel better, although i'm more of a forest person than a garden person. Anyways, good luck with your med-weaning, i wish you every success! Beth
Beth...glad to hear that your finals are allmost behind you, and I bet you did great on them. Nice to see you i the posts. I haven't posted much lately either, but have been away for awhile, Getting hold of tapering off some of my meds berfore the winter duldrums show up, and spending a lot of time in the garden. Gets rid of a lot of frustrations. I give those ol' weeds heck. They just don't realize that when you are away, they are NOT supposed to grow. Luv yas, and gld to see you posting here. Hope things stay well for you. LUV, SUZY. ;)
Hi, Cherry. So glad to heare that yopu are getting things undeer control and know what your atriggers are or have been. I wish you success in loering your meds. While I'm away a the beach and out of town for any lenth of time, I can decrease mine as well, and hopefully son, can master things without taking any. Gradually cutting them down in quantity, and as you, realize that they started when I was a small child. Afraid of not measuring up I think was the biggest thing. I'm at an age now tho, that it really doesn't matter. Take me or leave me, its all the same. And if uptight, I can always vent on my kids for not phoning enough. (Bad girl, Sue) LOL...buat it works, and they do phone more. Hopefully, soon I can get off all of them, and just carry Xanax for emergencies.So pleased to hear that your doing well. LUV, SUZY, and thanks for caring. ;)
21 years ago 0 90 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Urgh, PAs in grocery stores suck! Bleurgh! Well, they suck everywere, really. Love the story about the shopping cart! Cherry, I'd love to know more about your fears when you were a child. Does anyone else find they were agoraphobic as children? I know in theory you have your first panic attack in your late teens or early twenties and from then on you start avoiding certain situations etc, but I find I've been agoraphobic for all my live. Yes, the panic attacks started when I was 17, but I've always had problems spending the night away from home. When I was little I couldn't even sleep over at the neighbours' flat, three steps away from our own front door. At twelve I cried through a whole weekend staying with a French family. At 13 I ran away from a school trip on the first day because I couldn't bear being away from the safety of my room. At 14 I had to take all the cuddly toys from my bed (loads!), my tape player (these were the days before walkmen!) and all my Elvis tapes with me so that I could bear going on holiday with my parents. Elvis had just died then and I was convinced he was protecting me from heaven. Some weird teenager I was! I'd love to hear what other people's experiences were as children! Marianne
21 years ago 0 3 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Beth and all others. I just joined today and glad I found u guys. I've had panic attacks since January,..gettin better but it's a long process. I had to laugh as I was reading through what u said Beth about the abandoned cart in the grocery store. I've been guilty of that a couple times,..lol,...sucks,..doesn't it?? Made me smile! We all need to smile. Kiki
Hi, folks...doing just fine these days. Celebrating our 10th anniversary on the eight and went on holiday. Great time swimming in the ocean and big sur; then to the lake. Having a small problem sleping sometimeds, but I think thats due to my smoke quit. I blew that and starting over and into my 4th dy. (Lost over 3 months clean) (UGH) Spending a lot of time in the garden now. As you were talking earlier about the anniversary of 9/11 coing up; I can say that I am really concerned about whether something horriffic will happen or not. There is really nothing we can do to control things that happen like that, but I think it has brought everyone closer together as one big family and are aware of things we cannot control. I personally don't think too much will happen as they are all too busy fighting amongst themselves right now. The world has become so small compared to when I was very young. Everything affects everyone now. We must pray to Jesus to intervene and help us thru those hard times and I truly beleive that He will ber there for us. I started thinking that we should leave town and go to a remote area until 9/11/02 passes, but isn't that like burying our heads in the sand. What will be, will be. Just don't dwell on it and remember those who have passed, keeping them in our thoughts at all times. The whole world has changed and even tho it ws a terrible thing that happened, the possitive that has come from it, we must be thankful for all. LOVE TO ALL, and we'll keep each other in our prayers. LUV, SUZY. :confuse:
21 years ago 0 75 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Cherry, Thats funny, i'm the same way. Sometimes i feel like a secret agent or something, always scanning the room for exits, threats, etc. I like your idea about spirit scents, any suggestions for good ones (like vineager???haha) Its also been a while for me since my last major panic attack, however, unlike you, i have no desire to get off the meds!! I NEVER want to go through what i already have! ALSO, i think its great that you make jokes about this, i do too, although i offten feel flippent. The fact is, neurotic people can be very funny, if you're one of them. Its no laughing matter during a panic attack, but laughing afterwards helps me, i think that its a more positive response rather than catastrophizing the experience. My last therapist shared something with me that i thought was funny. Ever seen an abandoned grocery cart in the store? Thats how you know someone has been there and had a panic attack. This is SO TRUE, abandon ship and escape with your life! (By the way, the shopping cart is a true story, he's had more people who admit to abandoning their carts in grocery stores than he can shake a stick at!) Now THAT'S funny. (Its b/c people panic about the length of lines, the crowds, high aisles, etc.) Anyways, glad you are well! Beth
21 years ago 0 10 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Beth! I am Ok -- thank you for asking in the intro forum with Elaine. And how are you today? My panic attacks are manageable at this point. My maintenance medicine is at its lowest dosage this time. I hope to be able to get off on it soon (it's been already 5 years that I have been taking this med and I am concern that it may have its side effects, though my Psychiatrist assured me that this SSRI type of med can be taken for longer periods. Next month, we will re-assess my medication. The battle though is in my mind. Whenever I have to do some errands and be someplace else, I make a mental check of the exits, where the nearest hospital is, or the area where I can hurriedly get a taxi ride, or locate my nearest friend JUST IN CASE. Funny how I have to have my "securities" in my bag: a spirit oil or something that I can inhale to alert my focus, and a bottle of water (hah-hah!) Guys, I have to make a joke of this...anything that can make me at ease is a regular. Its been 5 yrs since I had my full blown PA, but looking back I think that I am pre-disposed even when I was just a little child. I had fears mostly of being ALONE--AND FOR AS LONG AS I CAN REMEMBER. So I am still working on this. Take care YOU! SCBB, HI! Hey, paging Suzy, where are you I miss you! LUV FR PHILIPPINES CHERRY :)

Reading this thread: