Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,501 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

Why did you quit?

12 years ago 0 251 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I quit because I like the real me (meaning the person I am sober) and not the monster I became when I was drinking... I quit because I am saying no to monsters!

Ready

13 years ago 0 1022 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome bobby!  You've come to the right place.  Thank you for reviving this topic.... I think it is really crucial to our success to not only know why we quit (or cut back) but to understand why we drink in the first place and continue regardless of the consequences.  Anyway.... I'm glad you are here.  Contratulations on 2 weeks sober!  How did you do it???
13 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
bobby,

This is great success!

Thank you for sharing with us.  Feel free to share with us your ups and downs.  We can all learn from one another!

Congrats!

Josie, Health Educator
13 years ago 0 1 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi everyone, 
I decided a couple of weeks ago to reduce my alcohol consumption after a rather embarrasing heavy night (not the first one). I'd been thinking about it for a few months but that night was the final straw. I only planned to cut down but for the last 2 weeks I haven't drunk anything and I tell you what it feels amazing. I feel healthier, stronger, more energised.. Everything!! It really does pay off to stop drinking and I know that I will not be stepping back to my old ways!!! 

Good luck everyone, it really is worthwhile! 

13 years ago 0 79 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Because I am a control freak...tho only with myself.  I want to be able to control as much of my life and my life's direction as humanly possible.  There is so much in life that I have no control over so if I can control just this one thing...my actions...then I can at least take part and take personal responsibility for the positive outcomes of my actions, not just the negative ones.  I hate Minnesota because I hate being cold and I hate winter. I hate myself for moving here and for rendering myself helpless to move for a time which has now resulted in my falling for a man that will never move from here.  ...so I wake up every day and know in my head and my heart that, tho I can't control the weather or the traffic it causes, I can control wut I do and wut I eat and push myself to feel happy at least in my physical well being...go to the gym, be productive at work, eat good, go home and enjoy my book and my dinner without drinking so I can wake up tomorrow and do it again.
13 years ago 0 325 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I will agree with all of what Athena has posted as she has hit the nail on the head for me, especially the shame part. I do not want to wake up in the morning hating me..........It feels so terrible and it is so hard to move on and care about anything after you feel so down. This past week has been the best for me in a very long time. I actually like me and if feels so good.
13 years ago 0 171 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
My reasons for quitting
- to set a good example for my children
- to find time to do the things I enjoy
- to get my self respect and memory back
- to stop a downwards spiral that would inevitable end badly
- to get rid of the shame
- to feel better
13 years ago 0 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
You can post it in your blog if you are more comfortable.  Or you can create a new thread.  Whatever works best for you.  There are no set rules.

Ashley, Health Educator
13 years ago 0 1022 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Is it OK to post a non-success story on this thread?  If not, you better delete this now.  I have a policy to not write while drinking so I'll just say.... I want to post about why I do drink and then also about why I want to quit.  I can't seem to do one without the other.  The WHY do I drink in the first place... um..... comes readily to mind.  Why I want to quit is more problematic.  Where should I post the why do I drink v. why do I quit???  Blog maybe?

13 years ago 0 221 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi everyone,

All great reasons to stop drinking.

~m, its tough when the craving comes. I encourage you to write all the positive things you are feeling and thinking when you are not craving alcohol. Then when you are, you can go back and read these. It can be powerful reminder when you are in a tough moment.

Keep posting member!
Helena, Health Educator

Reading this thread: