Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,514 Members

Please welcome our newest members: AABBYGAIL RUTH, ALAICA, JD7, Ww12, Fwcl

New to the group.

14 years ago 0 113 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I agree with foxman about taking that first drink...I kind of found that out the hard way over the holidays (and it's embarassing to admit!)...it's hard to understand why I go back to something I know does not make me happy...I often ask myself why can't I just stop?? I think a goal for myself will be...to not have that first drink, to instead drink something healthy like juice or leave the situation altogether so the temptation isn't as much.

Also I've never tried any drugs to help with this. I feel that I have already put too many bad things in my body (alcohol) and maybe it's time to get back to the basics...

David, I'm honestly considering talking to my doctor about it also because you knwo what? This way I'll feel more accountable to someone who I respect, but someone who is far enough from my family and friends that I won't have to be aroun them at all times. I have a check up next month, and I might muster up the courage to mention that especially over the holidays I have noticed that I drink more than others, and it is a real concern to me...well, I'm still toying with that idea in my mind...has anyone else on here ever talked to their doctora bout it?

14 years ago 0 1562 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
AA terms Alcoholism as a 3 fold illness. Obsession of the mind (mean we decide to quit drink in the morning but later in the evening we come up with some reason to drink and we push the decision to the next day) that forces you to take the first drink and then the phenomenon of craving. Once you put that first drink, you can't control the amount of drinks you take. Then when not drinking we are restless irritable and discontented.

The only solution is a spiritual one. Antebuse is a fear based solution. But alcoholics it does not work. We ignore the danger and try what happens when we take a drink. I know a woman who was on antebuse, on her last binge, she was constantly looking in the mirror to see if she had any allergies while she was drinking wine after being on pill for a week. She ended up in a hospital. Luckily she survived. 

14 years ago 0 49 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi.

Sorry. In my previous post "What do you consider to be an addiction of the mind..." was meant to be "What do you consider to be an obsession of the mind?"

I'm typing this stuff from work and am doing it quickly so others do not see what website I am on.

Thanks for reading.
14 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
David,

We are here to support and share our experiences and knowledge with you.  The tools provided can help you progress and gain a better understanding of this addiction. Shared medications experience is just that, experience.  Making an informed choice to help your mind and body is a great step towards progress.

We are here for you.

Josie, Health Educator
"Obsession of the mind..." Foxman an addiction is an addiction, What do you consider to be an addiction of the mind, and how is it different to an addiction.

I want to take any help I can get - drugs, or other.

Feeling like the past couple of posts here have been nothing but negative posts. I thought this was supposed to be a "support" group.

Don't know...

Thanks for reading.
14 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Checking with your doctor with any medication is advised.  We cannot prescribe any medication and encourage you to work with your doctor and share your ideas and research with them.

Josie, Health Educator
14 years ago 0 1562 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
if you take antebuse and still drink, (an alcoholic will definitely drink) there could be severe ramifications. The person who consumes alcohol after taking the pill, may even die. So, if you think you have an obsession of the mind, you should be careful.
14 years ago 0 224 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
David,

If Antabuse is something you might consider using, I'd definitely talk to your doctor about it. There are always precautions you have to take when taking any sort of medication. You could present the research you have done on this to your Doctor and see what they have to say about it. If you think this might be helpful in your situation, definitely talk to your doctor.

Luciana, Bilingual Health Educator
Hello again.

I just did a web search on Antabuse. I'm now quite excited about trying it. I think that this may just be the little boost I need to keep me going.

A few years ago I used Tylenol to help me to keep from drinking - you should not drink if you are taking Tylenol - so around noon I would take a couple of Tylenol, and then two more at around 4:00 in the afternoon. This way I knew I could not, and must not drink that evening. This worked very well and helped me start off a "sober period." I find that once I am sober for a few days it becomes easier to stay that way - until I begin thinking that "a couple of drinks to relax might be nice," and it all comes crashing down.

I only used the Tylenol for a week or so to get things started, and it did the trick, so maybe being on Antabuse would be a good idea.

Has anyone here tried Antabuse?

I do really want to quit this stuff. It has messed me up enough already.

Thanks for reading.
14 years ago 0 224 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Leanne, welcome back to the forum.

Why do you think cutting back did not work? If the temptation was too much,  and you think going cold turkey would help, I would suggest giving this a try.

Set goals for yourself, and follow through with them. Use the SMART principle Samantha was talking about under Goal Setting. Set goals that are specific, measurable, achievable, realistic, time based.

What goals will you be setting for yourself?

Luciana, Bilingual Health Educator

Reading this thread: