Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,507 Members

Please welcome our newest members: ALAICA, JD7, Ww12, Fwcl, anonymeLouise

First real day of quitting.

6 years ago 0 1 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
If a bird is tied to string or to a rope, he still cannot fly. No more strings or ropes! 4/23/18 3pmMT JJ
  • Quit Meter

$69,929.86

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 7816 Hours: 9

Minutes: 8 Seconds: 46

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

6 years ago 0 796 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Fse,
 Sorry to hear about your slip. You had six days you went without smoking and that was a great start. Remember that quilt you are feeling and remember how you feel now so the next time an urge tries to take over your life, you can use that quilt to try and fight the urge off. You're three days smoke free again, and it sounds like you are doing better this time, keep it up!  I don't know anything about the Wellbutrin, but I used the patch myself to help me quit, and I'm not sure I would have been able to quit without it. It took care of the physical part and let me concentrate on the mental part of the quit. If staying in the house helps to tame the urge, stay inside for awhile. Once you gain more control of YOUR life, then you can start getting back to a somewhat normal life. The urge or the wanting to smoke will subside in time. Remember, this is a life changing event for a smoker and it can seem overwhelming at times, but it is doable. Just look at me!  I smoked for over 37 years and I've been a quitter going on 5 years soon. You can do this too. 
 Something you might want to do if you're not doing it yet is start a journal or diary for quitting. It doesn't have to be public keep it private if that makes you feel better. Then you record each day and how it went, good things and bad things. If you had something that triggered an urge make note of it so you can work on that trigger for the next time. Pretty soon you'll notice a trend and you'll start feeling a lot more confident about your quit journey.  
Stay strong.

Not One Puff Ever...NOPE

• Quit Meter

$23,189.65

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 771 Hours: 16

Minutes: 27 Seconds: 11

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

6 years ago 0 2 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks for all the pep talk. I ended up slipping on Sunday. I had two. I felt extremely guilty and told myself no more. I threw the rest of the pack away. It's now Wednesday and I'm going strong. I really didn't want to quit but the longer I go the better I feel about quitting. I have a feeling today is going to be a hard day. The patches only do so much. I did get a prescription for Wellbutrin, I might start that. But the last time I was on it was for depression, it made me worse, so I'm a little nervous about getting on it again.

Taking walks don't help me. They remind me that when I did that before I would smoke and it makes me miss it more. The best thing that has helped me is to stay in doors where I never smoked. Hopefully this will get easier. The craving didn't pass on Sunday when I slipped. Missing it became stronger and stronger to where I couldn't take it anymore. But the guilt afterwards was bad. I went three days without one only to slip. 
  • Quit Meter

$11,422.67

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 343 Hours: 11

Minutes: 43 Seconds: 10

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

6 years ago 0 12 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I agree with what has been said here. I started last Sunday and had a slip on Friday. I was so disappointed. The different this time is I didn't let that carry me down a rabbit hole of failure. I'm on day 2 now. I am using the patch. I bought it last week on Day 1, but I didn't use it because I thought I could go without it. I was wrong. I know I have to beat the mental game and the rest will follow. For some of us....that's the way it works. 

But, as someone with many failed quit attempts behind her, let me reiterate what Tim said. You have to want to quit more than you want to smoke. My husband just pulled out of the driveway. As a closet smoker that even hid MOST of my smoking from him, this would be the time I normally jump up and get in a good two or three cigs while he's in town. Seriously. And watching him pull away triggered that feeling. But you know what? I want to quit MORE than I want to smoke. 100%. So instead, I'm writing this, getting ready to write my own post, and putting together the grocery list. I'll take my son with me when I go to the store because I'm not going to find a place to smoke instead. 

I think that is the biggest difference this time. I want it MORE than I want the cigarettes. Hang in there. I know it gets better. I just know it.  
  • Quit Meter

$4,965.75

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 220 Hours: 17

Minutes: 53 Seconds: 5

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

6 years ago 0 796 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Fse,
 It's hard with or without the patch, or any other NRT.  It's even harder if you don't have the right mindset. You have to want to quit more than you want to smoke for it to work. If you make a list of why you want to smoke or why you enjoy smoking and make a list of why you want to quit, the quit smoking list should be a LOT longer than the smoking list. If not, maybe you're just not ready yet. I see that you have started to go through the My Program, but you have not completed it yet. You might need to get better prepared for all the triggers that are EVERYWHERE trying to make you give in and give up your quit journey. 
 Grab a straw and when you want to inhale a cigarette use the straw instead. It will feel good between your fingers, and your lungs will fill up with clean air instead of all those deadly chemicals that are in the smoke. It does help ease the urge. Try and stay away from alcohol for awhile too, it will only lower your defenses. You can do this. You've already worked up the nerve to buy the patches and use them, that's a big step for a smoker, admitting that you're addicted to the drug. Just take it one day, one hour one minute at a time. Don't worry about the long term, concentrate on the present.
Stay strong.

Not One Puff Ever...NOPE

• Quit Meter

$23,189.65

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 771 Hours: 16

Minutes: 27 Seconds: 11

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

6 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome fse,

I am sorry to hear your first day was so tough. I think many members here can relate to what you are going through. Like Machiavelli said, it's normal and it will get easier. When you notice yourself fantasizing about smoking be sure to redirect, distract, avoid and delay. You can do this!!

Ashley, Health Educator
6 years ago 0 361 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello ... I know how you feel about the last time smoking in your life and this is normal ,in fact that mean you feel so well that you are determined to succeed and determined not to look behind you  after the last one... Do not fear the consequences they will be good consequences,I claim that after a period of time of started your quit  journey  when you getting stronger against nicotine addiction  ,you will wishing that you quitting early and get your freedom back long time ago... Goodbye you can say it to a friend (Good one)....BUT for nicotine!!!!! Look nicotine is ....An enemy and those who leave them an enemy should rejoice and not regret it ...SO please keep that in your mind also (You doing the right thing)....good luck in your quit journey Thanks. PS:In one of 2pac song he said (I wish my enemies will go away) .
6 years ago 0 2 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I started to quit last Monday. I failed and still smoked. I'm on the patch and narrowed my smoking habit to four times a day. But today is my first day without a cigarette. I'm having the hardest time not smoking. I keep telling myself that I want to be a smoker because I always enjoyed it. My reasons for quitting is the fact I've been a closet smoker and I'm tired of hiding it from everyone and I hate the smell that follows me everywhere. Even though I am getting enough nicotine in my body with the patches, I just want to go outside and have my friend sooth me. Feel that smoke enter my lungs and blow it out. I'm missing it so much. I am scared that I will go home and run to the gas station and buy my American Spirits and justify that I need to say goodbye to my last smoke. I can't believe how hard this is with the patch.
  • Quit Meter

$11,422.67

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 343 Hours: 11

Minutes: 43 Seconds: 10

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Reading this thread: