Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,526 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

Quit Plan: 10-03-14

9 years ago 0 16 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello I have already posted here but need to ask did your quit plan worked successfully? Can you share the progress?
9 years ago 0 16 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I hope you will attain complete success this time..Smoking is meaningless activity so quit it for lifetime..
10 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi itsme,

Welcome to the SSC!

All of those times you triedto quit before are preparing you  for your quit now.  All those learnings are still with you.

The program offers great tips and exercises to help you  prepare. Be sure to complete it. Also, use the search feature to find  discussions that pertain to you in the forums. There is a ton of insight and information here. 

How are you feeling today?
Ashley, Health Educator
10 years ago 0 796 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Neel,
 I was a pack a day smoker for 37 years. I never tried to quit before, only tried cutting back and that didn't work out well at all. So when I finally decided to quit, I only wanted to do it once. I did a LOT, I repeat a LOT of reading before I stopped so would know what I was getting myself into. (Or out of depending on which way you look at it!) I didn't think I could do it cold turkey so I used NTR, the patch. To my surprise the patch worked wonders for me. I never had an urge. It was supposed to be a 10 week program, but in the 4th week, I started getting allergic reactions to the patch. By then, I had a lot of self confidence that I COULD do this after all and never used the patch again. I'm not saying that the patch will work for you, but it might be worth a shot. I'm sure it was easier than those needles.  I hate needles!!!!!!!
 A quit is 10% physical and 90% mental. You have to be determined in your quit, there's no way around it. Hang in there.
  • Quit Meter

$23,219.90

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 772 Hours: 19

Minutes: 14 Seconds: 38

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

10 years ago 0 2778 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Neel!!!

Welcome to the SSC and congrats for your decision to not quit quitting!!!  It looks like you had a great quit started, but I'm sure we ALL understand about relapsing, me included!  There does come a time when we do want our freedom more than we want to smoke.  That's when we do what we have to do for as long as it takes and we attain our freedom!  Nicotine addiction is hard to overcome, but it can be done and you CAN do this!!! 

You have found a great site with a great Program and wonderful support from those who have been in your shoes!  Continue on with the Program and stick close as much as possible to read and learn from your new quit buddies here on the Forums!!!  If you have questions, just ask!  The search function on the main Forum page works pretty good to help you find threads on topics you want to know more about, too.  Check out the Tools, too.  They can be VERY helpful in helping you understand how to defeat the nico-demon!

The Program also suggests that you look into different NRT's (Nicotine Replacement Therapy).  Patches, gum, lozenges, and Chantix/Champix have helped many quitters on their road to freedom and are proven to work well if you really want your quit more than you want to smoke.  I tried most of the nicotine related items and finally quit using Chantix.  It's not for everyone, but it really helped me.  So, if you don't want to go back and get needles stuck in your body, there are other ways to help.

In the end, though, defeating the nico-demon is up to you!  YOU have to make the decision to do what ever it takes to regain your freedom!  Going into your quit with a Positive Mental Attitude definitely helps!  Knowing every day that you are gaining your freedom and allowing your body to heal helps to keep you on track.  Thinking that you are loosing or missing out on something by quitting can really make you miserable!  So choose Positive! 

Stick close, Neel!!!  Read and learn and post often!  We're all rooting for you! 

Jim
  • Quit Meter

$44,280.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1059 Hours: 20

Minutes: 54 Seconds: 41

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

10 years ago 0 618 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Neel,

The others have answered your questions....I hope you are reading and learning here on SSC!  I just want to add...  
1.  Positive Thinking costs nothing at all.  2.  This is an Addiction you are fighting.  3..You have quit once before for 5 months, so you CAN do it again.

Your post makes me think you are looking for an easy way to quit.  There are things around which can help, but quitting smoking is never easy!  Being in the company of smokers is not a great idea at the start of your quit!  You say you  'just gave in to your weakness.'  This is why we keep emphasising the need to be really determined.....I mean so determined that you would rather walk away from temptation, than let the Nicodemon win.  It is a battle you have to win.  N.O.P.E. is the only way to quit!!!  Not One Puff Ever.  It is a scary thought, but it works!  It is very simple...

Whatever it takes, just don't smoke!!! 

Love Lolly.    
10 years ago 0 2 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Guys, Thanks for all the support provided. I am trying but had two sticks today already. I think I am going to try the carrot sticks and deep breathing. For me starting again, I think it was going out to a bar and watching some of my friends drinking and smoking that got me hooked onto smoking again. I was actually quite determined until the stress started building up of me being around people not being able to smoke - and I just gave into my weakness. Its hard to stop again though. Although what made me stop was visiting the IQS (I quit smoking) American franchise in my country and she did a lot of work on me which included acupuncture etc and made me quite there and then. I am not sure if I should visit it again or try the harder way by just saying N.O.P.E? Any suggestions are warmly welcomed. Neel
10 years ago 0 1140 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello itsme, and welcome to the forums. Congratulations on your decision to start quitting again. 

According to what I've read around here, the typical quitter takes an average of 7 tries before truly being done with smoking. Some will take fewer attempts, and some will take more. From what I understand, people learn lessons during each of their tries. They learn what worked for them and what didn't work, and then use that knowledge to try again and ultimately succeed.

With that in mind, what worked for you? What helped you to get and stay smoke free for 5 months?

Also, what didn't work? What caused you to stumble?

Answering those questions can help at this point.  
  • Quit Meter

$22,551.85

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 602 Hours: 21

Minutes: 57 Seconds: 2

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

10 years ago 0 796 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome Itsme,
 Penitent and Whisper have about said it all. Read read read!! 5 months was a great start to your quit. You've quit before so you KNOW you can quit again!  It's all in your attitude. If you think you can quit, you can quit. If you think you'll fail, you will fail.  Just keep a positive attitude and take it one day at a time. When you get an urge, deep breaths help. Munch on some carrots, grapes, crackers, hard candy, whatever it takes. Hang in there, the urge will go away in less than 5 minutes. As you know, it WILL get easier as the days go by. Just say N.O.P.E.! Do you know why you relapsed, and can you figure out a way to avoid it this time? If you can't avoid it, can you think of a way to cope with it? Check out the tools at the top of the page and get your meter running. It's nice to see how much you're saving, how long your quit is and how long you've extended your LIFE by not smoking! You're not alone here, we've all been there and done that.
  • Quit Meter

$23,219.90

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 772 Hours: 19

Minutes: 14 Seconds: 38

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

10 years ago 0 89 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Oooh another newbie like me, hop aboard. 
Hello itsme. I'm only a couple of weeks in here and honestly, if I can do that, anybody can do anything.
Lots of fabulous support in here for you. I depend on this site. At the moment it's my bible. It provides constant re-assurance, constant good sense, and the constant knowledge that neither me, nor you, nor anyone else is alone in this. I'm excited for you.

Penitent has given you some good advice, read, read and then read some more. Knowledge truly is power, the more you know about nicotine and the addiction to it, the better you will be able to recover from it.
I think the things that finally clicked with me was to take each day as it comes, no two days will be the same. Give your body time to heal, don't expect to be over it in a few days. Don't view your body as craving but see it as your body's way of healing from the damage that has been done by smoking.
Try not to look as this journey as giving anything up, making sacrifices, denying yourself anything or depriving yourself of anything......instead view this journey as re-gaining control over your life, your health, your wealth.....Write down all the benefits for not smoking and carry it around with you.
Look to this journey with a positive outlook.....You can do this, You will do this, Just believe in yourself and remember N.O.P.E.
Keep posting and let us know how your doing. Rooting for you 

Reading this thread: