Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,507 Members

Please welcome our newest members: ALAICA, JD7, Ww12, Fwcl, anonymeLouise

oops!

14 years ago 0 2778 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Tracey!!!

Tomorrow you should be officially done with Hell Week, as far as we know!!!  We're all proud that you came back and are kicking ash with us once again!!!  When I quit, I definitely was thinking that drinking a couple of beers in the evening "could" be a trigger for me, but I knew that being around smokers would be an even bigger trigger!!!  What I did was consider a day-ending beer a reward for making it through the day smoke free!  It worked for me, but it probably wouldn't work for everyone!  As for me, I stayed away from ALL cigarette smokers for 2 - 3 months just to avoid any type of temptation!  Now when I smell any cigarette smoke, it gags me and I have to get the hell out of there!

So, avoid those triggers if that is what you think will work for you, and maybe try a small glass of wine in the near future when there are no other smokers around or any cigarettes laying around!

You can do it!!!

Jim

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 3/5/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 475
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 11,875
Amount Saved: $1,959.38
Life Gained:
Days: 80 Hrs: 13 Mins: 19 Seconds: 22

• Quit Meter

$44,242.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1058 Hours: 21

Minutes: 4 Seconds: 0

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

14 years ago 0 880 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
paddler38

You certainly should not be angry with yourself.  Save that ferosity for the object of your contempt.  For me cessation was all about relearning how to be who I am without falling back into the old patterns.  It does take time,  but the good news is that as time goes by and we become better students of our own patterns, the walk becomes easier to bear.  Keep working toward your goals...

stay well

nonic 

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 12/25/2006
Smoke-Free Days: 908
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 27,240
Amount Saved: $9,534.00
Life Gained:
Days: 173 Hrs: 6 Mins: 46 Seconds: 0

• Quit Meter

$66,517.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1302 Hours: 14

Minutes: 50 Seconds: 24

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

14 years ago 0 90 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Even if the nicotine is back in your body, you have the knowledge you gained from those 2 days to draw on this time.  What worked for you?  what will you do differently if faced with the same situation that caused this slip?  We learn from even the shortest of quits.  Just refocus and get back on track.  We're all here for support!
My Milage:

My Quit Date: 6/19/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 365
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 4,380
Amount Saved: $1,149.75
Life Gained:
Days: 30 Hrs: 10 Mins: 36 Seconds: 59

14 years ago 0 3307 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Glad you came back.  I have been where you are at and I really appreciate your honesty.  Stay away from situations that will draw you back to the stinking thinking.  Stay here with us for awhile and find non-smoking places to go to.  Ask your friends for their support and understanding and most important do not ever give up on quitting.  So worth it.

Keep the Quit
Sparky

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 3/27/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 84
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 840
Amount Saved: $168.00
Life Gained:
Days: 12 Hrs: 4 Mins: 27 Seconds: 43

14 years ago 0 916 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome back Paddler!!!
Keep your ice water on hand, and don't drink for a while!
Marivi

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 1/23/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 147
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 2,205
Amount Saved: $220.50
Life Gained:
Days: 16 Hrs: 18 Mins: 44 Seconds: 25

14 years ago 0 625 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome back paddler.....stay mad.....it helps......

Stay Strong.  Now you know how important N.O.P.E. is......

hugggggs and coooookies
Keeping the Quit
Bob

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 1/27/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 143
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 4,290
Amount Saved: $600.60
Life Gained:
Days: 29 Hrs: 23 Mins: 38 Seconds: 57

14 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey paddler,

Thank you for your honesty.  Slips happen, it is amazing that you are back at it again so quickly. Take what you learned from this slip and use it in your next quit.  What could have you done differently to prevent it?  We often say avoiding potential trigger situations is important when you are beginning your quit.  Always do everything in your power to avoid trigger situations when you first start.  But what would you do it you can't? Or if a trigger is unexpected?

You should be angry about your addiction. It is not fair that this addiction has so much control over people and their health. Use this anger. Get mad at the Nicodemon for making you slip and making you feel this way.  But he is not going to win the next time is he? You will beat him this time!

It takes 48hrs for Nicotine to leave the body. 

Ashley, Health Educator
14 years ago 0 816 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello paddler38  Glad to see that you're not quitting on your quit. Most people try numerous times until they're finally successful. Sorry to say that you have to go through the nicotine withdrawal ( Hell week ) all over again. Don't be discouraged though. Understand that you only have to go through withdrawal once though. Of course it tough , probably the hardest thing you've ever done. Eventually you'll have more good days than bad. Do drink ice water to help the craves. Do read posts here. Do read " the book ". If you want to stop smoking more than you want to smoke you'll be successful. Alcohol is a trigger that's best avoided at the start. Don't smoke under any circumstances. Better days ahead.  breather
My Milage:

My Quit Date: 11/11/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 220
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 11,000
Amount Saved: $5,280.00
Life Gained:
Days: 40 Hrs: 7 Mins: 13 Seconds: 15

14 years ago 0 3 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Well I had just posted my first post and felt strong after 64 hours nicotene free, then i decided to drink a couple of glasses of wine with a friend. I was fine until I took her home and her husband was smoking. I felt like an idiot thinking "just one" and I proceeded to smoke 5! But I'm back on the quit wagon again, did not buy any, and I reset my quit date. I know alcohol and other smokers are big triggers for me. Thank you all for your words of encouragement. It helps me to post because I'm forcing myself to be honest. This is hard at times and I feel angry to be so addicted. The 7-11 would sell me cigs. when I was 13 yrs old. Not blaming others. I'll keep fighting. Thank you again for being here! Question: I went 2 days smokefree, then smoked 5 cigs. Does that mean it will take 72 hrs. to get out of my system?
My Milage:

My Quit Date: 6/17/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 2
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 24
Amount Saved: $5.48
Life Gained:
Days: 0 Hrs: 4 Mins: 24 Seconds: 1

Reading this thread: