Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.750 posts in 47.055 threads.

160,557 Members

Please welcome our newest members: PMYKEL JOHN, Water&Forest, MBERNICE ASTRID, SLOVELY MAE, BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN

Tired of Stumbling, Quitting in a Few Days

5 years ago 0 180 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Post anywhere, but I really like following the storylines of quits, so to speak, so I'd be super excited to see you use this thread you started as a kind of quit journal. And here's to August 23rd as the big day. Only don't treat it like a big day - it's a day, just like any other, only that day you won't smoke (this kind of mental trickery and reframing helps me a lot, but you find your own groove.... and then write about it!!).  One day at a time has served me very well in other addictions as well.  If freedom exists for us elsewhere, then it can exist here, too.
5 years ago 0 14 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks Stellablue! That's encouraging to hear, glad I'm not doing this alone this time.

Just having a touch of anxiety about actually setting the date, as if I need to do this, this, and this before I make the decision. I guess there's never a good time, and next week looks more stressful than this one, so I need to pull the trigger.

Tomorrow seems rushed, and I have just a couple more things to line up, so Thursday, August 23rd is the day I will be a non-smoker. 

I am going to stay plugged in on this forum and group. I like the approach of a day at a time, it's worked for some of my other addictions in the past. And 30 is definitely more palatable than FOREVER! Lol.

I'm gonna do this, with the help of this group and best practices, and I will be a non smoker who feels better about himself after having quit.

When you say post on this thread, do you just mean this one? Or is there a better place for that on this site? Still working my way through it.

Thanks again. 
  • Quit Meter

$35,513.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 281 Hours: 3

Minutes: 13 Seconds: 51

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

5 years ago 0 180 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi and welcome!  This: 

I've tried quitting about half a dozen times over the years, my longest being about 35 days. I've tried quitting about 4 times this month: 10 days, 14 days, 3 days, 2 days. Mostly now I'm fed up with the fact that I keep stumbling. Real ding to your self respect and belief in your ability to change, but try again we will.

is almost EXACTLY what I wrote in my intro post two months ago, so I totally get how you feel right now.  That was my main motivator for this quit - I was just plain old sick of myself and sick of "trying" to quit.  I didn't feel 100% certain I was going to do it when I started this one, all I knew was that I had enough self-disgust and "fed up"-edness to fuel me for a little while. A little while turned out to be enough days to get my butt here to this site and start my own thread, and that helped me to commit.  One day just turned into another into another, and now I'm two months free.  I took the earlier days day by day - "I am not smoking *today* no matter what" (in fact, if you check out my thread you'll see that I stated early on that I was only aiming to go for 30 days, because at that time I couldn't handle the forever idea, but I could handle the idea of one month).  There is so much good information on this site, I really dug around as much as I could to help normalize what I was experiencing and prepare me for the future.  It also killed a lot of time, which was important. Anything that took up my time and kept me from smoking was good :)  I really want to follow along with your quit, so please post here!
5 years ago 0 14 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello all,

Just wanted to post an intro here because I want to be tuned into this forum as I'm going through this, again.

I've smoked for about 15 years, since I was 15 or so, and I'm just fed up. For the last several months I'm up to about a pack and a half to two packs a day, and not only can I not afford it, it's simply ridiculous. It's insane that this addiction does nothing tangible for me, actually only adds a lot of financial and social stress to my life, and I still hang on to it.

I've tried quitting about half a dozen times over the years, my longest being about 35 days. I've tried quitting about 4 times this month: 10 days, 14 days, 3 days, 2 days. Mostly now I'm fed up with the fact that I keep stumbling. Real ding to your self respect and belief in your ability to change, but try again we will.

I'm trying to be a touch more prepared this time. Going to speed read Allen Carr's Easyway Book again, and deliberately plan to avoid situations that have previously been triggers. Drinking with certain old friends, and my relatively tame version of 'partying' are both strongly associated with smoking. Those gotta go too for now until I'm comfortable back in those settings as a non smoker.

I started running again when I quit about 5 weeks ago. I'm still running, haven't missed a day, although 5 miles and 40 cigs ain't the best combo. I'm training to do a half marathon on Oct. 20, and I want to be, confidently, a non smoker at that point (much sooner really).

And lastly, this time around, I gave $500 to a friend to hold for me and he keeps it if I smoke (I don't have a spare $500). Now I just need to pick the date (within the next few) and get moving.

Only fear I have is really in my ability to commit. All these sites (and sites generally regarding behavior and habit change) say you have to be committed - the 'no matter what' sort. I just don't know how you know that with absolute certainty before you set out. That's what I'm trying to find before I set the date. Hopefully I will have it sooner rather than later, or perhaps I won't have that, and I'll still see it through.

Thanks for reading, best of luck on your quit to everyone on the site! 
  • Quit Meter

$35,513.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 281 Hours: 3

Minutes: 13 Seconds: 51

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Reading this thread: