Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,525 Members

Please welcome our newest members: PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH, ALAICA

Made it 6 days, and just had a slip on 1 cigarette. Need help and encouragement.

6 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome!

Congrats on getting started on your quit. It sounds like you already have tons of knowledge and experience that will support you now. It also sounds like you already pin pointed what triggered your slip - caffeine. That's great! Slips are very common and the important part is that you learn from it and keep moving forward.

You ask an interesting question about the "void". I think many members here will understand what you mean. How did you fill the void when you recovered from alcohol and marijuana addiction? I bet you have a wealth of knowledge you can draw on now. 

Ashley, Health Educator
6 years ago 0 796 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Chris,
 You should be proud of the 6 days you were quit. That's a GREAT step in the right direction. I wish I could offer you some magic words that fill the "void" you are needing help with but I can't. I'm sure the answer is somewhere in these forums though. There is a lot of good advise in here. As you know, nicotine is a terribly addictive DRUG, insecticide, or what ever you want to call it, and it is hard to let go of it. My advice would be to complete the program at the top of the page and do tons of reading in the forums. The search feature is nice but it only goes back two years and there is a lot of good info prior to two years back in here. I wish the best on your quit journey, stay strong.

Not One Puff Ever

• Quit Meter

$23,213.85

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 772 Hours: 12

Minutes: 40 Seconds: 57

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

6 years ago 0 1 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi,

My name is Chris. I'm a 29 year-old man. My new year's resolution is to quit smoking for good. I had set a quit date of January 2nd, 2018. I was very, very motivated to quit, and stay quit from cigarettes, and am still highly motivated. I am also an alcoholic/drug addict in recovery (have almost 16 months clean from alcohol and marijuana, and actively work with an AA sponsor). I was a pack-a-day chain smoker for 4 and a half years, even though I had maintained several stretches of sobriety in the AA program. I just started going to a tobacco cessation support group. I can't make it there physically every week, but I have been calling the group and participating in it, via speakerphone. The facilitator of the group is incredibly knowledgeable about tobacco cessation, and I trust that she will be a great resource in my recovery.

Anyway, I had my "last" cigarette around 2:30am on January 2nd. I went to sleep and woke up that day and began using 4 mg nicorette gum. I made it 6 days without a single puff of a cigarette. The nicorette gum has been very helpful to me, as well as drinking water and eating healthy snacks (I've been eating sunflower seeds instead of smoking at night). I work at a restaurant as a pizza cook, and had my last shift before my weekend, tonight. There was one co-worker there who is a smoker. At the end of my shift, I bummed a single cigarette off of him, despite all the mantras I had been repeating in my head ("these things will kill you", "no such thing as just 1 cigarette"). I really need all the help I can get right now; this is why I've started using this forum. The tobacco support group I mentioned just meets once a week, and it's physically far away. AA meetings aren't good for me right now, as I know there are usually smokers there. My AA sponsor doesn't smoke, and is a great, great person for me to reach out and be accountable to. I already call him on the phone 3-4 times a week, and I find that this is sufficient for any cravings I have with alcohol and/or marijuana.

I have issues with caffeine sensitivity, and I think that my 1-cigarette relapse was mainly brought about by drinking way too much caffeine during the day before my work shift. I had two 16 oz. "shot-in-the-dark" coffees during the day before work, and was extremely wired on caffeine. I crashed from it hard, and was very fatigued and mentally foggy during my work shift. I took a break at work without smoking, but noticed my co-worker's pack of cigarettes, and asked him for one after work. I borrowed his lighter, smoked the cigarette, returned his lighter, and returned home, where I am currently writing this.

My plan for tonight is to take a hot bath, drink some water, use Nicorette, and redouble my efforts. Writing this post has already been helpful with my strong feelings of guilt and failure, regarding my slip. To anyone reading this, I need help with the proverbial "void" left over after quitting smoking. During those 6 days of sobriety, I know that I abused caffeine in place of cigarettes, and I know I need help with this in the foreseeable future. I went through an Intensive OutPatient group for alcohol addiction in 2011. I remember one of the facilitators there saying that caffeine activates the same part of the brain as alcohol, and that too much of it can be dangerous to a recovering addict. I know that the addict in me drinks too much caffeine because of the "rush" or "glow" of being wired. Whatever you want to call it. 

All this being said, I am still very proud and impressed that I made it even 6 days without a single puff of a cigarette. As it's said in 12-step groups, what's important is "progress, not perfection". My big desire though, is to quit and stay quit, and I'm writing this as a former pack-a-day smoker. More than anything else, I do not want to go back to that ****.

• Quit Meter

$386,010.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 6110 Hours: 12

Minutes: 29 Seconds: 10

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Reading this thread: