Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,531 Members

Please welcome our newest members: BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN, Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima

Ahoy! I really wanna stop.......

11 years ago 0 1853 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Wishing you all good luck in your quits.  Each of you sound determined and motivated to end your addiction and with the support of this group, I know you will succeed!

11 years ago 0 1140 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Original Post by: max london
Wow. All this contribution from others is really helpfull. I am really gratefull and honoured. I agree with the general consensus that being ready to quit is essential, trying to avoid life (i.e. stress!) for the timing of the actual quit may not actually be beneficial to it's success. As it happens FROM TODAY I AM A EX SMOKER AND AM STICKING TO IT!. Chocks away; thunderbirds are go; code green etc etc. This quit is ON. woohoo!

I had a cold that's turned into some sort of chest infection that makes the thought of smoking none to hard (most of the time!) to resist. Figured I might as well roll with it. I'm gonna print out of a hard copy of that book. Thank you jim for mentioning Allen Carr. I have read those books and they are very helpfull (and true!). 'Working On It'; you referred somewhere in the forums to a book called 'Freedom from nicotine' - is that part of this programme or the one by John Polito.

Here's the link to the Freedom from Nicotine ebook. http://whyquit.com/ffn/index.html
  • Quit Meter

$22,562.15

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 603 Hours: 3

Minutes: 19 Seconds: 25

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

11 years ago 0 711 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Max,

How is it going pal? It sounds as if you have done a fair amount of reading and research before stopping smoking. When I stopped in 2008, it was information and support from people on this site that made it actually quite easy to stop. Just get through the next 3 days and all the nicotine will be gone. I'm on day 3 now (you can read all about my sorry arsed fall down a man hole elsewhere!) and with managing the blood sugar levels with juice, have again found it quite tolerable. I am sitting there at times timing craves and finding it fun! As each one comes and goes it is a sign that the nicotine is leaving and the brain is kind of re-adjusting to the fact that I do not intend to put anymore of that filthy stuff inside me again.

You will succeed if you really understand the addiction and you don't mistake the craves for something that they are not.

I'm only a few hours ahead of you so know exactly how you are feeling. Keep reading and posting and go for it!

Brent
11 years ago 0 16 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
P.S.

Looking forwards to seeing everyone in the 'whos quitting this month forum'.

Max
11 years ago 0 16 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Wow. All this contribution from others is really helpfull. I am really gratefull and honoured. I agree with the general consensus that being ready to quit is essential, trying to avoid life (i.e. stress!) for the timing of the actual quit may not actually be beneficial to it's success. As it happens FROM TODAY I AM A EX SMOKER AND AM STICKING TO IT!. Chocks away; thunderbirds are go; code green etc etc. This quit is ON. woohoo!

I had a cold that's turned into some sort of chest infection that makes the thought of smoking none to hard (most of the time!) to resist. Figured I might as well roll with it. I'm gonna print out of a hard copy of that book. Thank you jim for mentioning Allen Carr. I have read those books and they are very helpfull (and true!). 'Working On It'; you referred somewhere in the forums to a book called 'Freedom from nicotine' - is that part of this programme or the one by John Polito.

11 years ago 0 15 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Sly,

I find what you said very important for everybody: You chose to think of yourself as a non-smoker instead of someone who tries to quit. And this changed how you felt. I am only on my 5th day, but I try also to visualise and to think of myself for someone who is a non-smoker, ex smoker, and who is going to be smoke free for ever. I think it helps...
11 years ago 0 186 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Before I quit I had picked other dates to quit through out the years of smoking.
My reason for not following through with those past dates was always a stress thing.
The date would come and something stressful was happening or going to happen so
I would tell myself oh  just wait for a better time.
This time when I decided to stick with my quit date the stressers still entered  my life.
My Mother in law was told her cancer was back , and My Grand Daughter was born premature.
I sooo wanted a smoke  but convinced myself it wouldn't help anything and I am so glad I did.
My Grand Daughter is beautiful and doing fine and my Mother in law was miss diagnossed and has a clean
bill of health and has decided that if I can quit smoking she can to.
Everyones quits will be different.I really hated mine the first month.
The start of my second month I chose to think of myself as a non- smoker instead of some one trying to quit
and for me it is really making a difference to how I feel.
Life is good =)

11 years ago 0 153 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Max,

I totally had the same experience as Working On IT in terms of quitting while multiple stressors were and are going on in mylife.  My doctor actually expressed a lot of doubt as to whether that was a good time for me to quit, even though he has been harrassing me for years to quit.  What I found was, negative though they were, the stressors forced me to focus on them and deal with them rather than focus on the cravings and feel sorry for poor little old me, which I would have done had I tried toquit during a calmer period in my life. It also forced me to do other things to bring down my stress levels rather smoke such as yoga, deep breathing, a lot of reading (kept my mind and hands busy during "down" time), a little sweet treat (not a great choice but hey it was soothing), going for walks,etc
11 years ago 0 1140 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi max,

I took a good long time to get around to the actual quit, as well. I think a lot of it was mental preparation that needed to happen.

However, don't let life stressors keep you from quitting when you are ready. Some of the quit literature even suggests quitting during a stressful, busy time so that you immediately learn how to handle stress without a smoke. I happened to quit during a very intense week at work, and it served me well. Since I was so busy, it reduced some of the obsessing about cigarettes. 

Not saying you have to do it my way. But once you've done your reading and have some strategies, you can quit regardless of what is going on. 
  • Quit Meter

$22,562.15

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 603 Hours: 3

Minutes: 19 Seconds: 25

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

11 years ago 0 2778 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Max!!!

Do take the time you feel you need to prepare yourself for your quit!  Remember the 6-P's.... Proper Planning Prevents Piss-Poor Performance!  Continue on with the Program here, download that book you mentioned and you might want to consider reading Alan Carr's book, "The Easy Way to Quit Smoking".  I think someone mentioned that it could also be downloaded for free and many of your quit buddies here highly recommend it.  

While you are planning, try to keep a Positive Mental Attitude about your upcoming journey.  Keep telling yourself that you Can do this and that you are nearly ready to do battle with the demon and vow to never lose a battle when the war starts!    The bottom line is that if you want your freedom more than you want to smoke, you will be successful!  So, read and learn and continue to psych yourself up for the day that you start kicking that demon's ash!  

Jim
  • Quit Meter

$44,295.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1060 Hours: 3

Minutes: 55 Seconds: 3

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked