Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,500 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

I?m new

12 years ago 0 3875 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome Briana! I hope you are doing well today! We have all used cigarettes to mask emotions, that seems to be a very common issue with smoking. It's an addictive drug that we used to cover up / hide from our emotions. Go through the program here and read all the older posts you can find. There is a great wealth of information here to help you.
I also tried to quit many many times and I found I had to push myself to be positive to help me do it. I also had to recognize that I am an addict, and once I accepted that I realized that I had to treat myself the same as an addict, that I could never have another drag of a cigarette again. Use positive affirmations as much as you can, gather a tool kit of candy, gum, licorice, healthy snacks, straws, whatever you find helpful to keep yourself busy and your mind occupied. You can do it. A great many of us have done it here, and if we can so can you. There is a wonderful freedom that comes with conquering this addiction. I know that you can find it here. Good luck, post often and we will be here to help you.
12 years ago 0 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
This is a common concern for many smokers.

Having replacements and/or a list of replacement activities close at hand might help.  The program will help in this area. Finding alternative coping mechanisms is a big part of quitting.

Members, what are some alternative coping mechanisms that has worked for you?

Ashley, Health Educator
12 years ago 0 16 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
It will make it difficult because this part Natasha tries to flee in smoking, to hide from emotions. Luckily I'll lower some meds that block communication so from tomorrow on I'll be able to communicate weith her
12 years ago 0 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome Briana,

You have come to the right place. We can help you through this. Be sure to read through the program to arm yourself information.  The more you know and the more you prepare the better off you will be.  Plan on posting in the support group often.  You can even use it in times when you would normally be smoking.  Many members here attribute their success to the support they have received here.

Thank you for your honesty regarding MPD.  How do you think the MPD will affect your quit, positively or negatively?

Ashley, Health Educator
12 years ago 0 16 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I'm new here. I'm 28 years old and quit smoking a thousand times. I want this to be the final quit. I first decided I wanted to quit with Saimhain / Halloween as it is voor pagans (and me) the start of a new year, but I've quit tonight and tomorrow will be my first smokefree day.
At Saimhain I will do a meditation on my smoking behaviours and to let them go :)

I live on my own with my Lilac British shorthair, Leila, she's adorable and I love her so much! I don't have any family left accept an aunt and an uncle aborad, my parents died of lungcancer - no guessing why - and I'm not planning on following them any time soon.

It might be handy to let you'll know that I have DID/MPD, or multiple personality disorder, so I might post with different tones but that's because I'm not alone in the quit, lol. I try to post as much under one name, mine, but it can occur that I sound different because I'm influenced by another part of me :) So far.

I quit with nicotine patches. Herbal tea is my thing and tomorrow I have a fun day I'll visit a mate who just got herself a young kitty, so it will be early morning my time when I post or late afternoon and evening...

If you have questions, advice, just let me know. Enjoy the evening,
Bright Blessings, Briana Amara

Reading this thread: