Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,529 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou

HI!! I am new here and I want to quit smoking more than anything!

13 years ago 0 331 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Cowgirl, how are you doing today?  Hope all is well and that you get on to post soon. Have a wonderful day!
13 years ago 0 331 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Cowgirl.  Sorry I was not able to respond to any posts over the last few days.  I had a lot going on and was having some trouble signing in as well.  I am back though and glad to see that you are still hanging in there.  Looks like you had a lot on your plate and having a boat load of stress is never easy but you got through it.  Managing stress is very important not only in a quit but anytime as this can have a major impact on our own health and wellbeing.  One thing to remember is to not let other individual's stress become your stress.  When dealing with family it is easy to take over someone's issue (sooooo easy to do!) but we have to remember OPP---other people's problems!  You can be a support and as helpful as possible but do not let that bring you down.  I believe women as mothers do that a lot but it is not worth it!  If you are broke then you can't help fix others!  Take some time to think about whether the issues are really worth it especially since so early on it quit's we are looking for reasons to get stressed out so that we can justify smoking but I know that is not what you want to do.  I am super sad to hear about casey lee.....I am a huge animal lover and this is such a traumatic event but it sounds like she will be okay.  Animals are more resilient than people.....you don't see animals smoking do you....haha joking but really both you and casey will get through this and I believe with some TLC she will regain her sight.  Like Tiana suggested, don't focus on the slip but focus on what you can do in the future in similar situations.  You can do this.  You are stronger than you know....you just need to prove it to yourself!  Much love, Natalie.
13 years ago 0 54 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I have a grasp on my slip up now...I know my dog is ok and she is healing and I accept what could happen after this surgery.....having or losing her sight in the one eye.  The other stresses I have in my life such as my daughter being sicker than a dog and my momma's broken shoulder....I can handle.  I think the helplessness I felt over the dog and watching her suffer while I waited til the holiday was over was more than I could handle.......as well as missing spending Xmas with my family due to my sister and her husband and my daddy smoking was rough.  But, I am past all that now and I feel alot stronger about being tougher on staying strong and staying quit!

Thank you all for your help.....!
13 years ago 0 653 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Cowgirl,

Sorry that things got the best of you! Sounds like the stress was too much for you to handle. I know you came to us to try to stave off that demon. That was good thinking! Slips happen. So now you have had a learning experience!

Common high-risk situations for many people include:

* Being emotionally upset
* Social settings in which temptation is likely
* Unexpectedly encountering the to-be-avoided object

It is very important to have a plan prepared ahead of time to cope with these situations before we encounter them. Although the easiest way to cope is to avoid these high-risk situations, for some scenarios, it is not possible.

For these situations, try writing down the specifics of what happens to you. Ex: When I am stressed, I just want to relieve it by grabbing a cigarette and calming down.

Next try finding alternatives to what you habitually do when in this high-risk situation. Ex: When I am stressed, I will take a long warm bath instead; When I am stressed, I will take a walk;When I am stressed, I will have a cup of tea and write in my journal.

Does this sound do-able? What is the next stressful situation you have upcoming? What is your strategy going to be?

Tiana, Health Educator
  • Quit Meter

$79,476.25

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5540 Hours: 16

Minutes: 4 Seconds: 46

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Thank you for your replies and encouragement......I had a minor slip last night praying someone would answer me....the people that are around me have no clue what it is like to quit smoking so as hard as I fought the urge.....I did the unthinkable...but I am back on track I pray for now.

Casey Lee had surgery on her eye this morning.  The vet said she had an ulcer on her eye and it tore her third lid, so he sewed it back up and she has a 50/50 chance of keeping her sight.  I am cleaning her bedding so when she comes home later on she will have a clean bed to re cooperate in.

Hope everyone has a great day!
13 years ago 0 653 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Cowgirl,

I'm very to hear you have soooo much on your plate right now! Very challenging. Well, think of how strong you are to be handling it all! You are doing so well and I'm proud of you, as is everyone else on this site! We are here for you, as Charm says.

Hope today is going to be a better day! At least make it smoke-free as that is the best thing you can do to take care of yourself! Use your strategies to keep on track. Read the program. Remind yourself why this is important to you.

Tiana, Health Educator
  • Quit Meter

$79,476.25

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5540 Hours: 16

Minutes: 4 Seconds: 46

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

13 years ago 0 312 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Sorry Cowgirl about not seeing this post till this morning...I had just about had it with the Holiday weekend..so went to bed early to get it over with and start a new day.

You know, it would be so nice if we could just tell the world  "I'm quitting smoking, so would you guys just settle things down for awhile".

But, unfortunately, things will go on and there is not much control we have over it.

However, with everything you are going through...you can control just one thing and that is:

DON'T LIGHT UP AND SMOKE... that you can CONTROL...

Hope you have a better day today...let us know what the vet says.

Charm

Freedom Meter

Smoke-Free Days: 87
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 1,746
Amount Saved: $321.90
Life Gained:
Days: 12 Hrs: 3 Mins: 56 Seconds: 38
You told me to post what I am going through.......well here goes......
My dog is about to lose her eye, at the least, I hope that she is ok...been sitting here the whole holiday weekend with no one to take her to for help.  My daughter is sick as a dog and has 4 kids........and needs my help.....My room mate is sicker than a dog and has no regard for others about spreading the germs as they cough and sneeze and never wash their hands.....my momma has a broken shoulder and is still in horrible pain after 7 weeks.....I had a very sad blue Christams.....alone.....by choice as my dad and sister and her husband all smoke........and I was not ready to deal with that yet...not strong enough....

And, Right Now.........   I WANNA LIGHT UP AND SMOKE!!!!!!!!!!

thats what I am dealing with today@!
13 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Yup,

Week One is considered Hell Week..week Two is heck week and the rest is for the members to fill in!!

Don't be discouraged, it gets better and every one has a different journey, post with us and let us know what you are going through!

Josie, Health Educator
Is the first week of not smoking what you all consider Hell Week?"  Sure feels like hell...........

Reading this thread: