Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.750 posts in 47.055 threads.

160,557 Members

Please welcome our newest members: PMYKEL JOHN, Water&Forest, MBERNICE ASTRID, SLOVELY MAE, BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN

I am scared to Quit!!

17 years ago 0 16 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Shaila, I am scared too. this is my 3rd day and It is so very depressing to see my co-workers headed out for a smoke break. It helps (not much, but a little) to think that they will still be enslaved and soon i will not. Soon I will be able to go out side for a coffee break and just simply to enjoy the fresh air and sunshine. for now i am avoiding going outside, while everyone else is feeding their addictions i will be on the stop smoking center website! Today is not easy. I cant think clearly and i feel like crap, but i know that with each day it "should" get easier. Hang in there. set your quit day goal and just remember, if you don't stick with it, in the end the only one you are cheating is ourself! Keep repeating "[b]I Dont want to be a slave anymore[/b]" Oh, how i long for the day when cigarettes don't rule my life any more. Be strong! Flowerpot [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 8/13/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 3 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 69 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $10.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 1 [B]Seconds:[/B] 28
17 years ago 0 10 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Shalia, I too have my quit date set for tomorrow and yes hun I am scared to. But I'm telling myself that I can do it. I know I can. I am sick and tired of being tired and dependant on 25 little things in my pocket. Write down your reasons for quitting..read them ALL day today...just do that and positive thinking. As far as the caffine is concerned, if you must have that coffee..take a book adn find a place outside AWAY from the other smokers. Me...I have decided its okay to sit outside but I'm going to do that...read, play with the kids or just sit and watch the world. Have you got yourself some rewards to look at when you've hit some milestones? Mine....one new piece of clothing per week or cd/movie whatever. Thats going to cost me less than smoking. Where I'm from (not sure if this is a canadian/us board) but my smokes cost me $7.50/day!!! Isn't that crazy? think of what you can do for yourself with that money!! Add me to your buddy list if you want and I'll push you if you push me okay!!! Come on we'll do it together! Sabina :)
17 years ago 0 30 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Dear Shaila ; I know what you are going through , i too found smoking and a coffee like a break from work , it was quite pleasurable, but let me tell you sthng Faith is all it takes I know for sure that nicotine addiction is not the main thing to fight , it is the psychological habbit that is tough , you have to beilieve you can do it. find good reasons to , challenge yrself infront of someone , find out yr motivation . is feeling like a failure okay with you or does it make you feel humiliated by the fact that a small cigi is more powerful that you are! play psychological games like i am , tell everyone that you can do it and brag about it , so you wouldnt be able to go back on yr words but also belive in yrself and that u can do it like you did it in many successful things in yr life . even if you haven't which i am sure you did ( every one succeeds when they truely try) , say to yrself this is going to be the time that u will teach yrself how to be strong , find yr motivation dear , you only have to find it ! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 8/13/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 1 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 6 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 2 [B]Mins:[/B] 40 [B]Seconds:[/B] 37
17 years ago 0 186 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi guys back at work this morning had a few ciggies thats my routine down to a tee...coffee ciggies at least 5 times a day gives me a reason to go outside! ...now I was hoping to set tomorrow as my Quit date ~ however I am scared I know this sounds crazeee but Im scared to quit- as I have tried a few times and the longsest Ive managed is 3 days smoke free. Does any one else have the same problem! plus im on this diet at the moment called Cambridge and all I crave is cofee and ciggies - I do genuinely want to give up but i dont know what to do!! I FEEL LIKE A FAILURE!! :8o:
17 years ago 0 186 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks guys - I feel like this is the year for me I have acheived so much it is unbeleivable: 1. First of all I lost 26 pounds and have only 7 pounds to lose to reach my target of 7 stone 7 pounds. 2. Kicked nasty x boyfriend to the kerb once and for all after 7 long years of hardship and emotional abuse!! 3. Gave up Drinking - was drowning my sorrows with a bottle of wine a day for months ( have not even been tempted to drink for the past 3 months) - so if I can give up drinking I can give up smoking I reckon. Last 2 things I need to do is 1. Give up smoking and 2. Find my charming prince I feel so much better about my life and I will quit..thanks for all your support Love Shaz xxx
17 years ago 0 1128 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
[IMG]http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m180/princessceleste_2006/thyhugsplumfairy7hs.gif[/IMG] You are NOT a failure, but dont set yourself up for failure of this quit before you even start. I have found personally that having a positive frame of mind and wanting the quit more than you want to smoke is the key to success. Its going to be hard, no doubt about it but the way i saw it, it was going to be harder telling my family and friends that im ill from a smoking related illness - something i could have changed but didnt. It IS achievable and we were all frightened to start with. All i can advise is that you beleive in yourself, follow the steps on the left post here often, drink lots of water, do what ever you have to do just dont smoke. I too did what you do i used to have set times that i went out for a coffee and cig, its nearly 5 weeks on and you know what, i no longer look at the clock, the sickarette no longer dictates to me - i am free :) PrincessC :) x [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 7/11/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 34 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 686 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $346.8 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 18 [B]Mins:[/B] 14 [B]Seconds:[/B] 8
17 years ago 0 8760 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Flowerpot, It will get easier! In the meantime, reward yourself for each smoke free day and change the routines you associated with smoking. Instead of a break outside smoking, try 15 minutes of listening to music or reading, a special treat, a computer game, whatever works best for you. Keep persevering, Danielle ____________________ The SSC Support Team
17 years ago 0 711 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Fear.......................it's the real reason that people do not want to stop. There are so many questions............. How will I get through the day? How will I spend my time? Will I enjoy social occasions? Will I cope? What will I do if I get stressed? Will life be less enjoyable? All of these and many more only work if you have the mindset that you are "giving up" something. You are not "giving up" anything! You are not "giving up", you are gaining................ Your sense of smell back. Your enjoyment of food. Your freedom from disease. More money. A sense of achievement. Control of your life again. Smelling nice. Not despising yourself for being a "smoker" (cos I did!). And the list could continue for pages and pages and pages........... Learn what you are dealing with, understand what will happen to you, get support from the site....................and then simply stop smoking. It is the only bit that we can't do for you. Do not put another cigarette in your mouth. Simple really.................but only easy when you understand the reasons for the fear. mad englishman [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/8/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 249 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,745 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �1245 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 41 [B]Hrs:[/B] 13 [B]Mins:[/B] 44 [B]Seconds:[/B] 56
17 years ago 0 1110 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
You probably are more afraid of failing than you are quitting. But its ok, you will try and try till you get it right. But hopefully you wqill get it the first time. I dieted and quit at the same time and its very satisfying to have quit and lost 20lbs at the same time. Set your date and go for it, it feels good to not be tied to those smelly smokes anymore!!! Its not easy but its worth it!! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 4/21/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 482 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 12,058 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $3615 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 63 [B]Hrs:[/B] 1 [B]Mins:[/B] 50 [B]Seconds:[/B] 43
17 years ago 0 2462 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Shaila, I'm not going to tell you to not be scared. I'm going to tell you to look at your fear right in the face. What are all the things you are afraid of? What is the worst that can happen? Are you afraid that you will succeed? You'll have to give up that faux friend if you succeed. Are you afraid that you will fail? You'll just get back on the wagon and try again. Are you afraid that you'll go through horrible, terrible vicious cravings like a junkie and they'll have to tie you to a cot in a cell for three days and you'll throw up and try to break out of the restraints and you'll be screaming and sweating and crying? NOT. You can do this, Shaila. I smoked for 40 years and I did it. I know you can do it. You can be afraid, but don't let that stop you. March right through your fear. Laugh at it. Acknowledge it. And then keep going. I think you'll find that once you get started, the fear will go away. Rusty :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/13/2004 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 609 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 17,064 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $2131.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 83 [B]Hrs:[/B] 19 [B]Mins:[/B] 56 [B]Seconds:[/B] 37
  • Quit Meter

$54,880.80

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 648 Hours: 2

Minutes: 53 Seconds: 33

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Reading this thread: