Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.750 posts in 47.055 threads.

160,555 Members

Please welcome our newest members: PMYKEL JOHN, Water&Forest, MBERNICE ASTRID, SLOVELY MAE, BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN

I want to know everyones story...if you want to share :-)...

18 years ago 0 5 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I AM STARTING TODAY BUT MY QUIT DATE IS FOR THE FEBUARY 23. I AM DOING THIS FOR MY 7YR OLD BOY IS VERY ACTIVE (ASD) AND MY 15 1/2 MONTH GIRL. I AM DOING FOR MYSELF TO HAVE MORE ENEGRY. I HAVE BEEN SMOKING FOR ABOUT 16 YRS.
18 years ago 0 3 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
ok heres mine. I just turned 40 in Jan. I am married with 2 kids and I live in Greeley Colorado. My hubby has a machine shop and I do all of his paper work. FUN. I started sneaking cigs from my mom when I was 9 years old. and it just grew from there. Both my husband and I smoked and he told me he would quit drinking if I quit smoking. He is drinking again but I'm still off the smokes :mad: But I am NOT going to let it stop me. I was having a real hard time last night so I went looking for support and here I am. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/13/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 34 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,206 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $204 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 2 [B]Mins:[/B] 41 [B]Seconds:[/B] 40
18 years ago 0 20 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi RissaRoo I think sharing is a great idea, so here is my story. First congradulations on 10 days, I see we have the same start date, and since your from Seattle & I'm from Pittsburgh, if you were like me you consumed way to many cigarettes during the Super Bowl (great game) Anyway, like I said I'm now living in Pittsburgh we moved here from Ohio 14 years ago. I am the VP of Finance for a small wholesale company, I have 2 kids my daughter is 25 (and has now moved back in with her daughter who is 3) my son is 21 he's currently in the Marines and stationed in CA. I started smoking in JR High (it was cool to smoke in the 70's)and continued smoking for close to 30 years. I quit because I want to live to see my granddaughter grow up, I want to be able to walk 18 holes when I play golf, I'm tired of waking up coughing, I could go on but I think everyone understands. Well that's my story, thank you for asking and congradulations to you and your boyfreind 10 days and counting. Teri [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/6/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 10 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 313 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $83.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 1 [B]Mins:[/B] 0 [B]Seconds:[/B] 38
18 years ago 0 51 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi guys, I just wanted to hear more about everybody...like what what everybody does, where you are from, why you smoked, whatever you want to share etc, etc. Sorry if this seems nosy...I just like having an idea about who I am talking to. If you want to share that is :-). About me: I was born and raised in Seattle. I am 26 and a nanny. I am currently in school pursuing an elementary teaching certificate (to teach 4th grade). I went to school here and got my BA in Human Services (which I never used-no money in it). I met a guy soon after graduation, moved to San Antonio, TX for him, 4 months later broke up with him because he was a total jerk and 2 months later met the love of my life in a random twist of fate. I then moved back to Seattle and my new love moved to Seattle for me after he got out of the military 6 months later. We just quit smoking together. It puts a new dimension on our relationship because it was such a big sacrifice for both of us. We appreciate each other's struggle to be healthy for each other. I started to smoke to rebel against my parents, I thought they were too strict at the time. I come from a big Catholic family, and I thought I was so cool sneaking cigarettes behind their backs. By the time I figured out that smoking was a stupid way to rebel, it was too late and I was hooked! I smoked for about 11 years-eight of them heavy. I feel like a little kid again since I quit, it is so weird but so good. I can't remember a time that I have felt this good bodily and mentally at the same time. It feels good. Anyways thanks for the support and advice, I appreciate it so much more than you all know...I think we all need each other. RissaRoo [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/6/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 10 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 201 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $59.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 16 [B]Mins:[/B] 52 [B]Seconds:[/B] 41
18 years ago 0 125 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey everyone, I'm Sheila from Nashville. My quit began the first week of February. I had the flu or some other nasty bug that eventually gave me a touch of pnemonia. So that whole week I wasn't smoking as much as usual. On Friday, February 3, I had two cig's in the early morning hours that were fairly normal for a smoker with a bad cold. Around 9 that morning I started smoking my last cig. Lit that thing 3 times over the next three hours and could never take a hit without getting completly choked up, coughing my head off, and loosing complete ability to get a breath. I went to the doctor that afternoon. Among other things, my heart was eratic and racing, my blood oxygen level was way low, and my blood pressure was low. This prompted an EKG, which had horrible results. They sent me across the hallway to a cardiologist, saying that I may have some heart damage/disease from smoking. The cardiologist said that my heart may be under huge stress from the pnemonia, but then again, maybe some damage from the years of smoking, he even put me on the one a day aspirin regimine just in case I should have a heart attack. Also we would need more test and follow up after the pnemonia clears. I'm 36 years old and had that denial thinking of this shouldn't be happening to someone my age. Well, they definitly had my attention that day when they told me I had to quit smoking. I followed up with the heart doc on Valentines Day and after another EKG, he says there is no need to be concerned about my heart right now, must have been the pnemonia making things appear so bad. Maybe they were just doing their job or maybe they exaggerated a bit to scare me into the quit. I don't really care at this point, it worked, and I have no intention of giving up my quit just because I don't necessarily have to quit. I had set my quit date to February 4, the first full day of quit for me, but I started celebrating yesterday afternoon knowing that it had been 2 full weeks smoke free. It's a great feeling to be here: here at this point in my quit and here at this site for support. Smoke-freeness to all! Sheila [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/4/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 14 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 429 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $70 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B]
18 years ago 0 519 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I am Arwen's Mom. Arwen is a poodle puppy, a little girl dressed up in a dog suit. I am 59 years old, single, my boyfriend and I quit together each for separate health reasons. I was a lawyer for 35 years, quit, went back to school a year ago to be a dog groomer. I started smoking at 17 when a sailor in a coffee shop in San Francisco offered me a cigarette as part of a pick up line. I didn't go out with the sailor but after my first puff of Kent's went out and got a carton. I quit about 20 years ago for three years. I started smoking again because I just didn't like being a non-smoker. I just didn't like it. I liked smoking better. After three years of not smoking I thought I earned the right to make that decision. Of course, 20 years later, no matter what you like, if you can't breathe it's a whole different story. So here I am, struggling with not smoking again.
18 years ago 0 16 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
hey guys! i'm 23 years old and live in st. louis, mo. i graduated from college this past may with a b.s. in biology and work as a lab tech. currently, i'm studying for the mcat and hope to enter into med school in the fall of '07. i'm also planning my wedding now. my fiance and i are getting married next may and i'm very excited! so, for all these major events in my life, i've decided to quit. i didn't want to walk down the aisle reeking of smoke on my wedding day. and i didn't think it was very intelligent for a (hopefully) future doctor to be puffing away. i feel so much better for quitting. it makes me feel prettier, which radiates to those around me. thanks for listening, siobhan [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/10/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 6 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 96 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $25.8 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 10 [B]Mins:[/B] 2 [B]Seconds:[/B] 56
18 years ago 0 104 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
hi :) my name is sally and i live in oregon. I am a kindergarten teacher and i love my job. I have been married for 23 years and have 4 children. This is my second quit of recent years. My first lasted 4 months and i truly can't remember what caused me to start again after so long. This current (and last) quit is in in 17th day. :) This site has helped tremendously. I get strength from reading the posts and hopefully will contribute more in the future. Nice to hear about the lives of those we share a difficult journey with. :) take care all [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/31/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 16 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 332 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $64 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 22 [B]Mins:[/B] 29 [B]Seconds:[/B] 22
18 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Members, It is a great idea to share one's experiences with each other. Let's try and share only your smoking experiences and what brought you here. Other information can be shared through The SSC IM Messenger with many other members. Keep Strong, Josie _____________________ The SSC Support Team.

Reading this thread: