Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.750 posts in 47.055 threads.

160,557 Members

Please welcome our newest members: PMYKEL JOHN, Water&Forest, MBERNICE ASTRID, SLOVELY MAE, BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN

Need Help with a Problem!!!

18 years ago 0 36 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Tanya here. I did speak to him last night about the dangers of wearing two patches at once and also smoking the cigars. I actually printed out newbkr's replys and read them to him. He said that his blood pressure was fine right now but yes he would stop wearing two patches at once. I told him to check with his doctor and perhaps his Dr. might recommend another way to go for him or perhaps even approve a high dose in combination with a lower dose patch. He said okay, he would do that. In the meantime, to the best of my knowledge, he only wore one 21mg patch today. However, I do know that he has contiued to smoke cigars today and when I questioned him about it he told me that he was very nervous and it helped to calm his nerves. I just can seem to get through to him that he should not be doing that. I know that it is the nicodemon talking to him, but he keeps telling himself that it's okay as long as he doesn't inhale and isn't actually smoking cigarettes. Well I guess that, for today, it is one small step in the right direction. I will keep woking on him. Thanks for all of your great input. It has really helped alot. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/29/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 15 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 318 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $75 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 9 [B]Mins:[/B] 41 [B]Seconds:[/B] 49
Thank you, you have been a great help. I will speak to him later this evening and I'll let you know how it went. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/29/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 14 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 298 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $70 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 7 [B]Mins:[/B] 30 [B]Seconds:[/B] 8
Dear newbkr, He seems to think that cigars don't contain nicotine therefore they are okay. I will talk to him again about wearing two patches at once and explain the risks as you've told me and hope that he listens to me. Do cigars contain nicotine? [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/29/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 14 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 298 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $70 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 7 [B]Mins:[/B] 28 [B]Seconds:[/B] 25
My father-in-law and I started our quit on the same day using the 21mg nicotine patch and I'm very proud of him because he has not smoked any cigarettes in 14 days. However, today I found out that he is actually using 2-21mg patches at once and has taken up smoking colt cigars. (He says that he doesn't inhale). He says that his cravings are too intense and that he needs to use two patches. I believe that this is very dangerous especially since he is on heart medication and is diabetic. He is a very heavy smoker and has athsma and C.O.P.D and if he doesn't quit now, I think that his days are very numbered. I'm not sure how to approch this situation because the last thing I want is to see him going back to smoking cigarettes. But I also think that he is setting himself up for failure by smoking the cigars since he is still getting nicotine and not breaking the habit. I've told him about that and every time I do he says tomorrow I won't smoke any more tomorrow. Now two weeks have gone and he is still doing it. Can anyone tell me what to do? How should I approach this situation? [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/29/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 14 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 296 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $70 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 7 [B]Mins:[/B] 21 [B]Seconds:[/B] 6
18 years ago 0 254 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Just a thought here. If he won't stop on his own, consider calling his doctor and telling him what your father-in-law is doing. High blood pressure can lead to strokes (my mother had several due to her uncontrolled high blood pressure) and definitely a heart attack could be lurking as well. There are no "symptoms" to high blood pressure, so he will not know if he has it or not. But I know with one 21mg patch (what I am wearing now) my blood pressure is a bit elevated, and I am on medication!! This is really important, and if he doesn't take you seriously, perhaps he will listen to his dr.? Good luck! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/19/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 25 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 381 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $168.75 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 7 [B]Mins:[/B] 6 [B]Seconds:[/B] 24
18 years ago 0 711 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Tanya, mad ex smoker of cigars for twenty years here! As you have already been told, the cigars do contain nicotine.....actually they have a lot more that cigarettes so are even more dangerous in combination with patches. If you don't inhale them (which most cigarette smokers end up doing) they work by the nicotine being absorbed through the lining of the mouth. I would actually suggest that you seek professional medical advice on the situation, it sounds like massive doses of nictotine to me. Brent
18 years ago 0 80 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Cigars and cigarettes are both rolled up tobacco, so definitely yes! And whether he gives up the cigars or not, wearing two patches that strong at the same time is a big no-no for a person on heart medication. The only way he should do that is by clearing it with his doc first to make sure his heart muscle is strong enough to tolerate that and his blood pressure's not too high for that much nicotine coming through his skin at once. Some docs will okay it, but he needs to get the green light from his doc before he starts using the stuff some way other than according to instructions. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/9/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 3 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 54 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $9.75 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 8 [B]Mins:[/B] 51 [B]Seconds:[/B] 38
  • Quit Meter

$204,394.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5898 Hours: 21

Minutes: 42 Seconds: 16

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Hey, this is coming from a cardiac nurse....what he's doing is very very dangerous indeed. Smoking while wearing a patch, whether you're smoking cigarettes or cigars, is a bad idea. Whether he inhales does not matter. The lining of your mouth can absorb the nicotine just fine, and the combination of two patches on and smoking at the same time can raise blood pressure to dangerous levels, not to mention elevating heart rate dramatically, both of which are dangerous to a pt on any type of heart meds. Please tell him you checked with a nurse and got confirmation that what he's doing is very dangerous. If he's going to use NRT, he needs to use the patches or gum strictly according to directions and needs to get his physician's approval before adding anything to the mix of medications he's surely on (given his diagnoses). It's so hard to watch a family member with health problems do this to himself. I understand. I have a dad doing similar things. :( I think the best we can do is give them the information, encourage them to make the right decisions, and then do our best to lead by example. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/9/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 3 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 54 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $9.75 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 8 [B]Mins:[/B] 48 [B]Seconds:[/B] 15
  • Quit Meter

$204,394.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Tanya - I'm shuffling off to bed and may not get to check in until very late tomorrow, but I'll look for your update. Hope the conversation with him goes okay. (If you figure out the magic to getting a parent to take care of himself, be sure to let me know!!)
  • Quit Meter

$204,394.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

18 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Crazy, Newbkr has the right information. What you choose to do with it is up to you. You have every to be concerned for your father-in-law. He is playing with fire and will get burnt! If he doesn't listen, have him talk to his doctor and/or pharmacist and they will put him straight. Protect your quit at all costs. Knowledge is power and he needs knowledge right now. Keep Strong, Josie ______________________ The SSC Support Team.

Reading this thread: