Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,499 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

Are you quit weary?

15 years ago 0 80 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Me too, Impalla, but  if we've quit enough times, we know that lighting up after X-number of days/weeks/months inevitably makes things a ton times worse, not better.  The blood pressure skyrockets, the stress level goes through the roof, the anxiety levels spike.  Nothing good ever, ever, ever happens when we light up.

One last word -- I saw on a post of yours somewhere on this thread that you're on the path toward becoming a non-smoker.  Um, Dude, that is so NOT the case, with all due respect.  You BECAME a non-smoker when you put out your last cigarette.  You are ON a non-smoking path. The only question is how to stay on it and not turn back and resume the smoking path, which leads to nothing but failure, self-loathing, humiliation, and worst of all, PITY from the people who matter most to us.  I will NOT be pitied again by anyone for any reason.  I matter too much to myself for that.

You matter too much too, Dude.  Let's make sure we keep one another on the right path.

peteg

P.S.  I drive a Chevy too, but it's not an Impala.  It's an HHR.  Heritage High Roof, so it's a classic wanna be, just like me.

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 2/10/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 36
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 1,800
Amount Saved: $405.00
Life Gained:
Days: 6 Hrs: 17 Mins: 44 Seconds: 44

15 years ago 0 355 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I agree with Jo.  Meltdowns can be so cleansing.  I'm glad you made it through smoke-free and are doing better.  Hang in there!  You're doing so well!
Angie

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 12/30/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 44
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 528
Amount Saved: $232.32
Life Gained:
Days: 3 Hrs: 22 Mins: 16 Seconds: 26

15 years ago 0 880 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Dave:

I think you are getting the hang of this...My quit was painful too, and there where times when I wanted to give up.  I am the king of meltdowns...But do try to remember that cessation is not about NOT doing something (smoking) it is more about going about our business in a way that changes our attitude toward smoking.  

Physical withdrawal is tough...I smoked for 37 years and it was so ingrained in me that when I finally put it down, it was very difficult.  And why not, for me it was an instant mood elevator, a kind of therapy session.  But I do promise you that no matter how much you think you can't live without the squares, YOU REALLY CAN...It will not always be as intense as it is right now.  In time the allure will become more subtle.  Smoking or not smoking will eventually become a real choice, and not this over-powering obsession.  So do what ever you must right now to cleanse your system.  You can handle it, just remember to come here and post as much as you want.  Although all quits are unique, people will understand your pain and will respond in wonderful ways... Just do not give up...ever...

stay well

nonic 

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 12/25/2006
Smoke-Free Days: 779
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 23,370
Amount Saved: $8,179.50
Life Gained:
Days: 148 Hrs: 19 Mins: 10 Seconds: 34

• Quit Meter

$66,486.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1302 Hours: 1

Minutes: 9 Seconds: 5

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

15 years ago 0 67 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Dave, glad to see that you are doing well.  Absolutely nothing wrong with a melt down, it clears the air and can help with the healing process.  The main thing is that you got through it.  Good Job.  Jo
My Milage:

My Quit Date: 10/26/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 108
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 2,160
Amount Saved: $388.80
Life Gained:
Days: 14 Hrs: 9 Mins: 40 Seconds: 16

15 years ago 0 625 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I was wondering how you were doing Dave.......Glad to see you got through another bump in the road........Thank God for those Impala springs and shocks!!!
Bring it on addict........Impalamania can handle you!!.....Good Job Dave!

Bob

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 1/27/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 15
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 450
Amount Saved: $63.00
Life Gained:
Days: 3 Hrs: 4 Mins: 46 Seconds: 31

15 years ago 0 639 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you to this organization and to each one of you for your support.  Major weekend meltdown allowed me to makeup with my spouse, cleanse my tearducts and continue down the path to being an ex-smoker.  NoNic you are the BEST!  Post all your journal entries.  They hit me squarely between the eyes and have me inspired like never before!!!!

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 1/19/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 22
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 660
Amount Saved: $145.20
Life Gained:
Days: 3 Hrs: 17 Mins: 50 Seconds: 21

• Quit Meter

$50,425.88

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1123 Hours: 9

Minutes: 53 Seconds: 16

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

15 years ago 0 2534 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Angie,

It took me a long, long while to realise that "Just One" actually meant 20 a day for the rest of my life!

Penitent

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 5/18/2004
Smoke-Free Days: 1724
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 43,100
Amount Saved: �10,775.00
Life Gained:
Days: 292 Hrs: 0 Mins: 3 Seconds: 6

• Quit Meter

$56,716.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1123 Hours: 9

Minutes: 31 Seconds: 30

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

15 years ago 0 355 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Sprite - that "just one" gets us all at least once or twice doesn't it?
Angie

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 12/30/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 36
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 432
Amount Saved: $190.08
Life Gained:
Days: 3 Hrs: 6 Mins: 29 Seconds: 39

15 years ago 0 10 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Wow, I can't even begin to guess how many times I've "quit" in the past...the longest being for 3 months before I went out for drinks with some smoking friends and decided that "just one" would be okay. 

I would imagine I've attempted it more than 20 times, although a lot did not have much effort behind them. 

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 1/5/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 30
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 390
Amount Saved: $156.00
Life Gained:
Days: 2 Hrs: 3 Mins: 30 Seconds: 34

15 years ago 0 567 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Peanut--Welcome! I can tell by your determination you WILL do it this time.

I have smoked for 30+ years and am amazed at how scared I was to quit...and at how do-able it really is. Oh--there were times that were a bit rough, but keeping lots of water nearby  and the words NOPE on my lips--it passess.

Promise yourself just for today. One hour, one minute at a time--whatever you need each day. Those mnutes add up to months and longer..

Welcome to our great support center, post when you need us..
Deb

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 3/1/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 339
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 13,560
Amount Saved: $3,051.00
Life Gained:
Days: 39 Hrs: 20 Mins: 29 Seconds: 45

Reading this thread: