Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,512 Members

Please welcome our newest members: AABBYGAIL RUTH, ALAICA, JD7, Ww12, Fwcl

I fed the wrong wolf? Or something....

15 years ago 0 80 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I was pretty happy, positive, and upbeat for most of it, and then BOOM!  I turned into Mr. Horrible Person; couldn't figure out why, then I noticed that my Rx to the happy-to-qit-smoking pills ran out.  Who knew all that happiness, sunshine, and joy came out of a little bottle!!
But things are good again.  Back at the gym, loving the sense of control that I'm slowly regaining over many different aspects of my life, not just the smoking.
And now with the warm weather coming, life is getting really good!  (I loathe cold weather.)

Hey man, if good days can come to this inveterate ex- former- non-smoker, they can come to anyone!!
Hang in there, it gets better every day!
peteg

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 2/10/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 42
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 2,100
Amount Saved: $472.50
Life Gained:
Days: 7 Hrs: 17 Mins: 49 Seconds: 54

15 years ago 0 597 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I love when a little devilishness is added!
I agree with both Pete and Q......just depends on which day you ask me about quitting
I try to be my most upbeat and positive, because it really does go faster and less painful that way.
But then, there are days when I battle the demon more often than I think I should have to, I have gloomy thoughts and say ugly things I regret later
The really odd thing is....the good days are often filled with prayer and meditation.  The bad days are rushed and stressed and prayer is an afterthought.  I've had a couple 'bad' days here lately.  Sometimes they are unavoidable because of life.....but I sure cherish the good!
Hugs to you both....Q and Pete.  You are BOTH right, in MY book!

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 10/22/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 148
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 5,920
Amount Saved: $1,184.00
Life Gained:
Days: 16 Hrs: 17 Mins: 38 Seconds: 33

• Quit Meter

$52,340.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 740 Hours: 8

Minutes: 1 Seconds: 11

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

15 years ago 0 916 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Mr Q!
Beautifully written toughts! I totally agree with you. I also feel the same way! I didn't leave a friend behind!
Marivi

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 1/23/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 55
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 825
Amount Saved: $82.50
Life Gained:
Days: 6 Hrs: 8 Mins: 8 Seconds: 23

15 years ago 0 406 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Peteg,

Thanks for pointing out that members can share any unhappiness they may experience in their quits.  Let's continue to share positive thoughts of encouragement to both happy and unhappy members whether they are ready to change or not.

Karen, Health Educator 

15 years ago 0 303 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi H2BM,

I have tried to quit plenty of times and I've been in your shoes.  The devil on my shoulder tells me to have just one and I say "I know I won't have just one" as I'm walking into the store to buy a pack.  It ain't easy but it can be.  Try taking all the information that you have read and focus on three things.

1) It's an illusion - There is no great high and smoking doesn't solve any problems.  It helps you when your stressed, it helps you relax, it helps finalize a meal, it picks you up when you are sad, it makes things better when you are happy.  A drug that cures everything doesn't cure anything.  You associate these things with smoking but smoking doesn't make them better. 
When you were a non smoker you didn't need these things to help you but now your addicted so you will tell yourself what you need to.  Smoking is like wearing tight shoes for the pleasure when you remove them.

2) We make things as easy or hard as we want them to be - I remember quitting for 3 months multiple times.  I remember everyday waking up wishing I could smoke.  I remember feeling like I was missing out.  I remember making my life miserable everyday until I finally gave in.  This time I accepted that smoking wasn't helping anything, I was not missing out, and I would eventually get back to my old self and be stronger for it.  I did and I am.  It's not so hard once you realize that you've been fooled, that there's really no benefit except what you convince yourself to keep smoking.

3) If you have chosen to fight this battle until you finally win keep going.  Giving in, knowing that you are going to start all over again just makes things harder on yourself.  Hey, I know we've all been there and it's not easy but it doesn't have to be so difficult.  You will eventually be back to your normal self and stronger.  How you view smoking will determine how long that will take.  If you can't get passed number 1 it could be years before you recover.  If you can accept the truth it could be a month.  I've done it both ways....The first time avoid anyone at all costs...3 months later I see someone smoking so I'm F*&ked....This time after quitting for a few weeks I was at a party with people smoking around me...Some even said "Let me know if this is bothering you" to which I replied "No, I'm good."

Take my advice with a grain of salt but take something from it.  I don't care what anyone says, this battle doesn't have to be
a life long struggle.  This may sound corny but the truth really will set you free.  All the best.  Your friend.

Mr Q

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 8/4/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 227
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 5,448
Amount Saved: $1,702.50
Life Gained:
Days: 25 Hrs: 7 Mins: 40 Seconds: 47

• Quit Meter

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 0 Hours: 0

Minutes: 0 Seconds: 0

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

15 years ago 0 80 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Happy to be Me?  Really?
With all due respect (whoa, I know I say this WAY too much here!!), if you were so happy to be you, would you even be here?  Here is a place where we come when we are unhappy with who we are and what we do.  That is, we come here because we are unhappy smokers who are unhappy that we smoke and are hoping to find happiness (not to mention peace, love, joy, prosperity, and  world peace) by not smoking.

No one has more failed quits under their belts than I, so I just have to suggest that if you're happy to be you, you might not be ready to become someone new and different, and believe me, becoming a non-smoker is the newest and most radically different thing we will ever do for ourselves.  I think it has to start with a certain sense of being "unhappy to be me if I am a smoker."

Hang in there with us -- we love hanging out with you.

peteg

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 2/10/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 36
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 1,800
Amount Saved: $405.00
Life Gained:
Days: 6 Hrs: 17 Mins: 49 Seconds: 37

15 years ago 0 567 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I second that MM--

Dear Happy--for most of us here--we have more than 1 quit under our belt...keep trying ..keep doing the one day, one minute at a time thing..

Eventually, you WILL turn that corner and be free..

Deb

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 3/1/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 339
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 13,560
Amount Saved: $3,051.00
Life Gained:
Days: 39 Hrs: 20 Mins: 30 Seconds: 26

15 years ago 0 597 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Never quit quitting.

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 10/22/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 99
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 3,960
Amount Saved: $792.00
Life Gained:
Days: 11 Hrs: 4 Mins: 17 Seconds: 57

• Quit Meter

$52,340.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 740 Hours: 8

Minutes: 1 Seconds: 11

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

15 years ago 0 1080 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Happy, I totally understand where you are coming from- I too could not imagine my life without smoking. It permeated every area of my life. Everything and anything had to be geared around 'it' primarily. Vacations, cinema, day trips, evenings out- I had to be able to smoke- end of.
And in those days I guess I enjoyed it, and then I didn't. I got older, people my age began to die. I started to develop smoking related health issues. I got scared. I also got angry. I hated being a smoker, I hated smokers.  I wanted more than anything else to stop. I didn't want anything else to be as a consequence of a self inflicted habit. I appreciate serious damage is already done, but I can prevent it getting any worse.

Let me just tell you this, the benefits of not smoking far far outweigh any pleasure I ever got from smoking. My life has totally changed for the better. One of my most precious gains is time- something that cannot be bought, and is no longer wasted hunting round for smoking areas to feed my habit.

Please, go over it all again, try. I know you can do it too.

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 5/10/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 264
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 6,600
Amount Saved: $3,960.00
Life Gained:
Days: 31 Hrs: 3 Mins: 57 Seconds: 48

15 years ago 0 355 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Happy, I somehow missed this post the other day.  Just happened across it or I would have responded sooner.  I second what all these great quitters have said.  You CAN do this, you WILL do this!  But you can never stop trying.  Jump up, brush off those pants and start taking some more steps forward.  Do whatever you need to do to keep moving forward.  And please, please don't be so hard on yourself.  Even if you only made it four days on this quit, that's four days that you didn't smoke!  Be very proud of those four days and be proud of yourself for continuing to quit no matter how many times you've slipped.  You deserve this - you're worth it and you will succeed.
Angie

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 12/30/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 30
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 360
Amount Saved: $158.40
Life Gained:
Days: 2 Hrs: 16 Mins: 36 Seconds: 7

Reading this thread: