Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,503 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Ww12, Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr

How do you want to quit?

16 years ago 0 1543 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Tryagain, Think about what I say often.... the "got" to..."get" to quit phrase. You, quit for health/cough reasons. Your quit was.... "I GOT to quit". That doesn't work. Never will..and it never has. Nothing excited you about your journey in terms of...I "get" to quit. You can go into smoking websites and watch videos of peole with half their faces removed from cancer and still smoking. Larnex gone...and smoking through their necks. Painful lung cancer and still smoking. They all SHOULD of quit...and they didn't. It isn't about should quit. Did you catch my post (somewhere) about the man who burned a hole in his suit and stoped smoking on the spot with NO CRAVES? He smoked right through the torment of his father's cancer and that didn't stop him. But burning his expensive suit......well...... that was another story. It may sound like a STUPID reason for that man to quit. But you know what?..... that suit was the reason that made the man say... "I GET to quit this time." It became personal. Another story of a real person. I'm trying to bring the point home and I'm having a hard time. A girl I know has two beautiful little girls. They are 4 and two. She is only 32 herself and is having some early lung problems. The doctor warned her she has the beginning of CPOD. She made a few futile attempts, but still smoked. Now....she wanted a boop job. I mean...SHE REALLY WANTED THAT BOOB JOB. The doctor in no uncertain terms would not do it till she quit smoking. Period. Guess what? ..... ... SHE QUIT. What her children could not do for her......her boobs did! It was personal. I know it sounds sick that boobs got her to quit before her little ones. But the point was....great looking boobs was her personal motivation. I'm saying this in a caring way....so please read the right voice reflection. Your quit is not personal to you. EVERYONE should quit. You should quit. I should quit. BUT....EVERYONE doesn't, because they don't have reason enough to go through it. Your reason happens not to be enough "to you". Not wanting to cough isn't enough for you. You got to find your "BOOB" REASON. Did you ever hear the phrase ...."dry alcoholic" That is when someone bites the bullet and doesn't drink for all the wrong reasons. They hang on by their teeth. Sure they aren't drinking..but... their just dry alcoholics as they were never reformed/transformed. I really do understand. Everyone here does. We've all been where you are at.....and we all know what leads to failures. Make it important and about you. Hope this makes sense. Lots of love, understanding and support Mercy [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]1/21/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 129 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,580 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $576.63 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 17 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 2 [B]Seconds:[/B] 48
16 years ago 0 932 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Try, I do understand where you are right now. Being diabetic, I knew I HAD to quit smoking. That's what made quitting so hard for me.....I kept telling myself that I HAVE to quit. That made me feel like something I enjoyed was being taken away from me. Like I was being forced to quit and the choice wasn't really mine at all. I was actually pissed about it. Not only could I not have my tater chips but I was having to give up smoking too. It sucked. Well, I still crave at times and I don't like them at all. I'm not thrilled about the idea of my britches being a wee bit too tight either. But, only after time and hanging in there, did I realize that I wanted to feel better more than I wanted to smoke. I knew I couldn't have both at the same time. I like the idea of breathing in as deep as I can without that deep breath triggering me to cough. Air is a good thing. I like the idea of being active without being out of breath. Being active and having fun doing it is a good thing. I like the idea of laughing my a@@ off without going into a coughing fit. Laughter is good for the soul. I like not smelling like smoke, having crappy breath, and the rest of those raunchy odors. Smelling good and not being embarrassed about my smell is a real good thing. Living longer is the best of all. Life is great.....a precious gift. I reckon you have to weighs the pro's and con's as you go through each smoke free day. When you feel the difference in your health and feel your health improving more and more each day, you become more and more convinced that, "Hell no, I don't want to smoke." Stay Strong. The cravings do suck but you can handle them a lot better than you can handle a coughing fit to the point of blacking out. Hang in there, Tutti [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]2/18/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 101 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 4,545 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $362.59 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 10 [B]Hrs:[/B] 18 [B]Mins:[/B] 5 [B]Seconds:[/B] 27
16 years ago 0 41 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Tryagain- You are right where I lost my last quit. It's a hard place, but I regret not working my way through it and turning down that offered cigarette. Just keep taking it day by day, and stick with these people...they're quality! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]5/29/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 1 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 25 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $6.75 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 2 [B]Mins:[/B] 24 [B]Seconds:[/B] 11
16 years ago 0 3875 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Focus on the Positiveness of your quit Tryagain. It has to feel better to breathe for you! You are saving money, less hassles, and on and on. All of the positive effects apply to you. Focus on those to help make your way to 200 days and beyond! :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/5/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 86 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,150 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $907.30 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 10 [B]Hrs:[/B] 12 [B]Mins:[/B] 53 [B]Seconds:[/B] 8
16 years ago 0 519 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
What great responses. I feel more like a quitter now. I wouldn't go back to smoking. I can't. I know some people can, they'll smoke with a hole in their throat, with one lung, with an oxygen tank hanging off their wheelchairs. I might do that, if it didn't hurt. I won't do things that hurt. Smoking hurts, it hurts really bad. No. I won't smoke. I just want not smoking to be less stressful. Martha gives me a lot of hope. As long as I know there is an end I can make it through. If I could get to a point where I wanted to quit for the sake of quitting, I'd feel better about it. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]1/27/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 123 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,690 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1,230.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 16 [B]Hrs:[/B] 3 [B]Mins:[/B] 32 [B]Seconds:[/B] 59
16 years ago 0 169 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Well I hope you don't give up. I know you are going through a tough time, and I am going to leave the encouragement to those way more eloquent than I, if that is OK, but know I do care and am sending you want to quit vibes. I think sometimes I have gotten stuck on negative thoughts, like "hey, I don't really want to quit" and my mind has seized on them. Which has been stressful for me because on the one hand I want to quit because of health & money concerns, but then I keep latching onto this "hey I don't really want to quit." The two opposing thoughts really jack me up. This time I am trying to really focus on the fact that I am having these cravings because I have smoked in the past, and smoking will not make them go away. They will just bring on the next crave. And the next. Until I try to quit again or die. If I can just grab this and ride it out, I'll be fine. After all, people who never smoked don't "need" to smoke to enjoy meals, calm down, perk up, focus, or relax. And picturing the ciggy as the gross little mucinex guy doesn't hurt either. Not to tough to turn him down. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]4/22/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 37 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,480 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $296.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 12 [B]Mins:[/B] 11 [B]Seconds:[/B] 42
16 years ago 0 2830 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
TryAgain, I totally understand where you're at right now! I did the exact same thing earlier in my quit, except I was over a year quit and decided that I didn't like being quit and wanted to go back to smoking. Now, you couln't MAKE me smoke if you tied me up, held my nose and put a cigarette in my mouth... I'd try to find SOME way to not smoke that thing... because that's how much I LOVE not smoking now. What I'm saying is that things CAN change... but you have to be open to allowing yourself to like being quit. That might be hard to do. It's a very easy excuse to say "I don't like quitting" and then go back to smoking because you don't like being quit. But the thing is, I don't think that it's that you don't like being quit... you just don't like some of the EARLY side effects that come with quitting. [b]The side effects of quitting will go away... the side effects of smoking will be there for as long as you smoke and maybe longer than that!!![/b] Think about that! The longer you are quit, the fewer cravings you will have. That one goes away with time. The weight gain can be controlled. Many have LOST weight while quitting. Also, they say that you would have to gain 100 lbs while quitting in order to equal the ill effects of smoking. Are you going to gain 100 lbs? Probably not! So you're STILL healthier by quitting! As for the disruption in your life, what disruptions does it cause? Think about that and then think about what you can do to minimize those disruptions. Quitting doesn't HAVE to turn your life upside down... but getting diagnosed with cancer will! Tryagain, I just don't believe that you truly don't want to stay quit. If that were true, you would not have been able to quit for 122 days! You wouldn't have lasted a week if you really didn't want to. I think that there are more layers to that onion. I think that the junkie in you is convincing you that you've reached the core, when in reality, you're still near the surface! Dig deeper. And answer me this question "If you REALLY didn't want to quit, then why have you been quit for 122 days?" When you answer that question for yourself, you will find the answer to your other question "How do you want to quit?" The desire is in you... it's just being masked by the cravings. Crave the Quit! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]6/17/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 711 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 17,775 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $2,936.43 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 50 [B]Hrs:[/B] 4 [B]Mins:[/B] 1 [B]Seconds:[/B] 28
16 years ago 0 231 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Tryagain, pardon me for being blunt, but your words are spoken like a true addict. That is what we are and we will seek whatever rationalization we can use to convince ourselves we really like to smoke. I copied the following and hope it helps you. The I don't really want to quit, I enjoy smoking myth: "This may be the most deeply engrained rationalization of all as it has a solid basis in the following flawed denial logic. "I don't do things that I don't like to do." "I smoke lots and lots of cigarettes." "Therefore, I must really enjoy smoking," instead of the correct conclusion, "therefore, I must really be chemically addicted to smoking nicotine." Did you enjoy being the unaddicted "you" or have you forgotten what it was like to live comfortably inside a mind that does not crave for nicotine? If you cannot remember what it was like being "you" then what basis do you have for honest comparison? If you truly enjoyed being addicted to nicotine then why are you here reading these words? Is it that you liked smoking or that you liked not having to experience what occurred when you didn't smoke - withdrawal? Studies have long ranked nicotine as a more addictive substance than either heroin or cocaine. In fact, cocaine's generally recognized addiction rate among regular users is 15% while nicotine's addiction rate of over 70% is at least five times as great. Imagine convincing your mind that it " likes " being addicted to the drug that addiction scientists now rank as the most addictive substance on all of planet earth. We are nicotine addicts . A pack a day smoker smokes 7,300 cigarettes each and every year. How many of your last 7,300 nicotine fixes did you really enjoy ? How many of the next 7,300 will bring tremendous joy to your life? Isn't it time to be honest?" You have done a great job at getting to 122 days, just do one more day again and then again and then again. You really do want to quit. So as Martha suggests keep peeling those layers back, there are more there. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/12/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 78 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,340 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $351.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 14 [B]Hrs:[/B] 22 [B]Mins:[/B] 49 [B]Seconds:[/B] 45
16 years ago 0 2462 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Here are my random thoughts. Nobody HAS to quit. Nobody. There are people who have one lung and are on their deathbeds and are still smoking. There are people whose spouses threaten to leave them and they are still smoking. See? It is always a choice. What are you giving up if you quit? What are you giving up if you don't quit? It isn't an emotional thing really. It's just, as Pat said, choosing between this or that. It is always your choice. If you choose to smoke, then you will have effects. If you choose to quit, you will also have effects. You are the only one who can weigh the pros and cons for you. Good for you for thinking this through! Rusty :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]12/13/2004 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 897 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 25,116 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $3,139.50 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 126 [B]Hrs:[/B] 12 [B]Mins:[/B] 41 [B]Seconds:[/B] 23
  • Quit Meter

$54,745.60

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 646 Hours: 13

Minutes: 7 Seconds: 38

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

16 years ago 0 1151 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi tryagain. Great job on the 122 Days - especially if they have been hard fought, that is amazing. Look at all those cigarettes you haven't smoked! [quote] I've peeled all the layers off the onion and found at the core, I don't want to quit smoking. I don't like the weight gain or the disruption in my life. I don't like cravings, or even thinking about cigarettes. [/quote] I'd like to suggest that there may be more layers to the onion. The weight gain, the disruption, and the cravings are all part of quitting - they aren't smoking and they aren't being an ex-smoker. It's sort of a transition period but they do balance out, it can take a while though. Are there things about being quit that you like? Things that you wouldn't or couldn't have done as a smoker? What do you miss about smoking? You asked "How do you want to quit?". I think for me it was in knowing even in the tough days that my life as a non-smoker is better than it ever could have been as a smoker. I'm healthier, freer, more genuine, less fearful and I smell a heck of a lot better than when I smoked. I am also heavier! But even though there is more of me, I'm still a bigger, better version of me :) I don't have craves, and haven't for some time, and smoking would be a bigger disruption in my life than my quit ended up being. I say these things not to brag but just to let you know what can happen in time. I admire your honesty tryagain. A lot of people are afraid to admit what they are really feeling and I think that takes a tougher toll down the road than confronting them straightaway. Sorry for the novel, but I hope some of it may help. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]8/5/2004 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 1027 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 20,540 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $4,621.50 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 78 [B]Hrs:[/B] 10 [B]Mins:[/B] 4 [B]Seconds:[/B] 51
  • Quit Meter

$36,933.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 638 Hours: 19

Minutes: 43 Seconds: 12

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Reading this thread: