Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Emergency Happy Questions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-06-11 2:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Questions to challenge negativity

2024-06-03 3:43 PM

Depression Community

logo

Social anxiety disorder

2024-05-29 1:50 PM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Most Loved

Browse through 411.758 posts in 47.059 threads.

160,770 Members

Please welcome our newest members: MereM, browcari, Cas151, Britanica78, m_ladyschoolme

Attitude means everything.. yes?

17 years ago 0 517 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I'm so into a positive attitude and feeling quite celebratory about this quit - Even though today I'm feeling quite fatigued. Just learning through another post that I made that the fatigue is normal and that my body is simply healing itself. No wonder huh? All the abuse I've given to myself over the past 33 yrs.. Shame on me! It's only fatigue and that will not deter my resolve nor my positivity :) Thanks all.. And yes, Monica is a super woman and she's been very helpful during my quit. Have a super day and now I'm going to take a little nap..lol..ZZZZzzzzzzzzzzz... J xo [IMG]http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o304/Monica58/thumbsup-1.gif[/IMG] [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 4/4/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 4 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 115 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $41 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 12 [B]Mins:[/B] 23 [B]Seconds:[/B] 17
17 years ago 0 813 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
jean49 You are absolutely correct, no matter how you look at this journey it is all built on one component...and that is YOUR ATTITUDE...It is often said here and I will restate it one more time...Your desire to quit must be greater than your desire to smoke...Having a positive attitude is essential...You are doing a wonderful thing for yourself, your body, your soul and the soul's of all the people who love you in this life...Do not resist evil...instead create a higher good, by clearing your body and mind of the addiction that has enslaved us since we first fell into the smoking trap... Stay Well nonic [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/25/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 104 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,510 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $728 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 19 [B]Hrs:[/B] 10 [B]Mins:[/B] 19 [B]Seconds:[/B] 1
17 years ago 0 925 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Jean49, Everyone here at SSC quits in their own way, in their own time and for their own reasons...but I do think more people succeed with positive attitudes. I believe we do have a choice in how we quit smoking (and in living our lives in general) and I have chosen to have a positive and celebratory attitude in beating my addiction too. This is my final quit after at least 4 failed "tries". I must admit that once I had the knowledge of my addiction and fully embraced my committment on my quit day, the cravings were only thoughts. I think the generic Zyban prevented any physical cravings, really I didn't suffer anything I would call a physical crave. The minor discomforts of withdrawl I welcomed as a sign of my body healing. The mental cravings have lessened to the point where I only think of smoking as something I used to have to do as an addict, but now I'm free and loving my new life. I will never forget I am an addict and have adopted N.O.P.E. as I'm just one puff away from 2 packs a day. You are really doing a fabulous job in your quit. Keep your attitude going and it will take you anywhere you want to go! Use all the good people and information here to help you through any tough spots. Monica58 is a very special person and you are lucky to have such an inspirational friend to show you the way. Enjoy your new life and the freedom you deserve! Pat :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/28/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 68 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,740 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $952 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 7 [B]Hrs:[/B] 23 [B]Mins:[/B] 54 [B]Seconds:[/B] 47
  • Quit Meter

$121,881.60

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 970 Hours: 20

Minutes: 54 Seconds: 7

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 1155 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Jean - Hope you had another good walk today. Keep your positive attitude going - it's the key to success. Just look at your meter - you've already said [color=Red]NO![/color] to cigarettes/the nicodemon 57 times! And, by the end of today, all of the nicotine will be out of your system. Pretty cool stuff! I try to think of cravings as finite - meaning that I have a fixed amount of cravings left in me - so each time I get through a crave that's one less inside me and one step closer to being 100% craving free. For those of you who are visual thinkers - It's like having a bowl of jellybeans - each craving being a jellybean. So, each time you have/get through a craving, there's one less jellybean in the bowl and eventually the bowl will be empty. In this way, when I fight through a craving, it feels like an accomplishment and a step forward. Make any sense? [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/24/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 41 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,450 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $266.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 11 [B]Mins:[/B] 40 [B]Seconds:[/B] 11
  • Quit Meter

$1,136,400.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5545 Hours: 16

Minutes: 40 Seconds: 6

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 517 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Loulou I'm going to remember what you said... [quote] "A craving won't kill, a cigarette will". [/quote] Oh so true! I just cannot go into something as important as this quit with a poor attitude. I am going to be successful and fight the craves and celebrate them when I've conquered each one! And I'm also quite aware that this addiction is a horrible one, but I know that I will have great supporter's here if I hit a roadblock as well as a few good friends who will be there for me whenever I need them. Life is filled with so many up's and down's.. lots of stressful moments, but as I've been reading here - A cig will not solve those problems. I guess with so many of us we 'thought' that a cig would calm us, relax us, but in reality it was just a horrible crutch to escape the situation(s). I'm so excited about my new life as a non smoker! I can't believe that I'm in my 3rd day already and there is no lingering smell of smoke in any of the rooms in my home and I'm smelling soooooooooo good! I'm taking in all of the POSITIVES and crushing all the negatives with a huge mallet! I'm so pumped and I will do everything in my power to keep this attitude alive.. because I want to be alive and healthy for many years to come :) Thanks to all for your input.. and Loulou, I'm holding onto that quote! And as a side note: I'm Monica58's friend.. she suggested this site and I'm so pleased that she did :) She's come a long way inspite of her stresses, she's a success to me :) Have a super long Easter weekend.. Heading out for my walk now shortly :) J xo [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 4/4/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 2 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 57 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $20.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 15 [B]Seconds:[/B] 14
17 years ago 0 1151 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Jean49, Congrats on finishing Day 2! So, my short answer is yes - you are right. When I quit I wanted to be DONE. I had prepared myself, picked a day and was pretty committed. I had tried to quit the year before and the first day was miserable because I just said "no" to myself 20 times and got frustrated and angry for not getting what I wanted. I lasted 9 days. This time, I prayed a LOT. I took almost a scientific experiment approach by reading as much as I could and observed the changes my body and mind were going through. Everyday something new unfolded - some good, some bad but all of it was beneficial. It's still amazing to me the extent of the damage smoking does and what our bodies can withstand and repair. The rewards helped to keep things positive and I truly think that having a good attitude makes the biggest difference. In watching others here come and go, the ones who are really willing to invest in the journey and find the good in it are the most successful. So, it sounds like we can count you in with that group! ;) Enjoy the ride! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 8/5/2004 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 974 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 19,480 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $4383 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 75 [B]Hrs:[/B] 2 [B]Mins:[/B] 37 [B]Seconds:[/B] 26
  • Quit Meter

$37,245.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 644 Hours: 5

Minutes: 39 Seconds: 51

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 2436 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello J- The attitude that you describe, has kept me quit! Cold Turkey quit, with absolutely no slips and I'm a first-time quittor -- and I truly believe that most of it, if not all of a successful forever quit, is due to attitude. Period... that is the long and short of it! You are doing beautifully - hold on tight... I did exactly what you are doing, so I KNOW where you are headed!! Your meter is headed in the direction my meter, dear one! xxox Healer [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/5/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 396 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 13,891 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1841.4 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 51 [B]Hrs:[/B] 21 [B]Mins:[/B] 38 [B]Seconds:[/B] 16
17 years ago 0 650 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Yes it does, I really believe that attitude has to do with the quit. On all my prior attempts to quit with hubby, I was never really serious, it was always a case of who is going to break down first. And we always ended back at smoking. This time I went in it with the attitude that this is it. At the beginning of my quit, I remember someone posting: "A craving won't kill, a cigarette will". It has stayed with me all along. I have seen first hand the damage smoking can do to a person, having lost someone really dear. And I refuse to end up hooked to an oxygen tank for the rest of my life all because of smoking. I quit, this is my final quit and there is no going back. And yes this quit is so much easier. My hubby who quit with me even complains jokingly that I am too happy, I'd rather be too happy it is healthier. Loulou [IMG]http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p19/donkeylover_01/Eeyore.gif[/IMG] [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/1/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 94 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,032 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $399.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 9 [B]Hrs:[/B] 5 [B]Mins:[/B] 34 [B]Seconds:[/B] 35
17 years ago 0 2417 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
The choice is yours! Do you want to be miserable? If the answere to that question is "NO", think of each crave as more towards getting better. Once your mind and body does not get what it wants, it will quit asking. No, it won't be over night. But, you can do this if you want to. Remember that craves only last a few minutes. They will pass. Make your quit what you want it to be! :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/8/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 87 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,316 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $365.4 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 8 [B]Hrs:[/B] 2 [B]Mins:[/B] 54 [B]Seconds:[/B] 25
17 years ago 0 154 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Absolutley Jean 49, The different thing about this quit is that when I look back it is not with shudders. I ENJOYED quitting, enjoyed all the new things I experienced- looking good, smelling good, smelling the Christmas tree, not missing out on spending time with my family over the holidays to step out for a SICKarette. I celebrated every day, and looking back it was a pleasant experience, like recovering from a long long illness. Every day I got stronger and felt better and I will NEVER go back. Your attitude will ensure a successful quit, we all need to adopt it in fact!!!! Congratulations on your Second day of quitting!! Enjoy this Easter long weekend SMOKE FREE! :) :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/9/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 178 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,966 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $630.12 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 11 [B]Hrs:[/B] 19 [B]Mins:[/B] 33 [B]Seconds:[/B] 51
  • Quit Meter

$545,472.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 4206 Hours: 7

Minutes: 41 Seconds: 17

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Reading this thread: