Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,529 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou

How to strengthen lungs?

18 years ago 0 18 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Me, I'm surprisingly very fit for a smoker. Tomorrow is my butt-out day, so I think you are totally inspirational! It's great that you're a walker. Find some steps to walk up. As you're walking down concentrate on breathing deeply and pushing the breaths out slowly. If you're able climb the steps again. Listen to your body (now you're developing a mutual respect!). Keep your heartrate at a comfortable level. You can also use a step to stretch out your legs. The balloon idea is a great way to expand and strenghten your lungs. Fitness is a bit like giving up....one day at a time. Good luck Smiles Cass
18 years ago 0 23 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
It does take sometime for your lungs to keep up with what you want to do. Go slowly with the excerise and do not expect to go from 0-10 in a day. I have Asthma and on Day 2. I have always worked out, inhaler in hand, but I know that it will be a while after quitting that I can let go of that inhaler while excerising...and I am looking forward to it. As one person wrote, blowing up ballons is excerise for the lungs..just as the lung excerise thing that they sometimes give to people who have had surgery??? I do not know the name, but he said it works almost the same, just do not over do it... Carmen
18 years ago 0 81 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Me, I think one of the best way is taking up Yoga classes (yoga breathing as well as the physical poses), or pilates class. this 2 forms really works deep into the breathing. A plus point is they helps concentration and getting a sense of balance of the overall well-being. I have a lot of injuries in my body, and have taken up pilates. It has helped to strengthen my body as a whole, hence lessening the stress on the injuried area, and also it has helped mme with a better focusing. If you can try taking up one of them as a regular weekly class, then still emmbark on your running. you will see a different. na [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/14/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] -13 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 0 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $0 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 0 [B]Seconds:[/B] 0
18 years ago 0 71 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
My Doctor told me that ALL smokers have COPD! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/29/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 13 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 268 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $52 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 8 [B]Mins:[/B] 12 [B]Seconds:[/B] 9
  • Quit Meter

$272,496.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 6103 Hours: 19

Minutes: 25 Seconds: 46

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

18 years ago 0 2257 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello Me! I don't know if you are a man or woman, but if you are a man, ask your wife -- or if you're a woman and have given birth, try the relaxation "focus" breathing that you learned in LaMaze. It's pain management through breathing meditation (sort of). It's helping me with exercise now and I also used it the first week when I was about to go crazy for a smoke. I have not stopped using it for "bringing myself down a notch" and my BABY is 9! I hope this helps, it takes time for your body to "re-learn" to be healthy and react to new workouts. Best to you - Hangin In, Not Givin In, CobenFan (Christine M) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/25/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 16 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 286 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $56 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 13 [B]Mins:[/B] 24 [B]Seconds:[/B] 35
18 years ago 0 14 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Does anyone know any breathing exercises to strengthen the lungs? I started exercising and walking a lot, and my breathing is getting better, but still gasping for air after cardio. I would like to start running soon, but at this rate, I think the most I can run is a minute, or a minute and a half tops. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/12/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 29 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 596 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $246.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 1 [B]Mins:[/B] 3 [B]Seconds:[/B] 37
18 years ago 0 38 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Me and Rusty Me, allow yourself time! You didn't do all that damage to your lungs over night. They won't heal over night. Start out with some breathing exersizes (like the yoga breathing or blowing up balloons) and walking. In good time, you will be able to take deeper breathes and walk further. Also, I don't know how long you smoked but checking in with your doctor is always a good idea! [color=Red]KC[/color] [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/28/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 52 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 688 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $156 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 5 [B]Hrs:[/B] 18 [B]Mins:[/B] 42 [B]Seconds:[/B] 21
18 years ago 0 2614 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
JUJU That sounds like a generalization and every quitter is different. Just as every doctor is going to be different. Most important STOP SMOKING and get back to being healthy. :( [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/17/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 53 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,068 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $397.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 8 [B]Hrs:[/B] 16 [B]Mins:[/B] 57 [B]Seconds:[/B] 32
18 years ago 0 2614 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Every one that has respoonded to your question has given you good information. Certainly check out to see with you doctor or health care provider. Yoga breathing can help extend you capacity. Do an internet search. It is one of the things that I do to prepare and during swimming, because I smoked for 36 years and I huff and puff. For me my doctor says that this will change and the coaches where I swim are used to dealing with older people 65+ and people who have smoked. Patience, practice and perseverance. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/17/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 53 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,060 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $397.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 8 [B]Hrs:[/B] 15 [B]Mins:[/B] 23 [B]Seconds:[/B] 23
18 years ago 0 1079 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Me, I don't have any exercises to suggest, but I wanted to say I'm glad you're still smoke-free. Look at you, 30 days tomorrow!!! [color=Red]redrosie[/color] [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/1/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 99 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,397 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $821.7 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 9 [B]Hrs:[/B] 17 [B]Mins:[/B] 33 [B]Seconds:[/B] 31

Reading this thread: