Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,499 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

Well, by golly

9 years ago 0 618 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Working, Get Well Soon!  This is a great post!

Love Lolly.    
9 years ago 0 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Working on it,

OMG that sounds awful about your toe! It made me wince just reading what you wrote. Glad to hear you are healing up though. Also, fantastic to hear that you did not think of smoking! Thank you for posting this - I know so many new members dream of the day when they no longer think of smoking and now you are there. Enjoy your non smoking status. You deserve it!

Ashley, Health Educator
9 years ago 0 2534 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Great post WOI. A must read for newbies! (And oldies too!)

Enlightening realisation - a wonderful feeling!

Hope that pinkie toe heals quickly 

All The Best,
Pen

• Quit Meter

$56,716.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1123 Hours: 9

Minutes: 13 Seconds: 9

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

9 years ago 0 1140 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
hi,

Just thought I'd share a little update for the oldies, and point out something kind of cool for the newbies.

The nonsmoking life is going generally pretty well. I was having 5-6 thoughts of smoking per month for a long time. But a couple of months ago, it tapered off to 1-2 per month. So that is a happy thing.

(BTW, for newbies: As far as I can tell, my thoughts of smoking have been much more persistent than those of most quitters. It seems that most quitters get it over with and move on within a year or less. I'm OK with that, since even my random "craves" are really minimal overall. A couple of fleeting thoughts per month is nothing compared to the screaming nicotine junkie that insistently demanded 20 smokes per day when I was an active user.)

But back to today's story. I broke my pinkie toe today. Jammed it really badly to the point that it was bending in the opposite direction. Had to go to the emergency room, since I didn't have the courage to work it back into place without pain meds or medical knowledge. After all that drama, I came home, ate some food, took my pain pills, watched some TV, and then logged on here just to check in.

So here is the cool part. It wasn't until just now that I seriously thought about the fact that I was once a smoker. Back in my smoking days, I would have been sucking a bunch of cancer sticks down on the way to the emergency room, trying to figure out where to hide for a smoke on the smoke-free hospital grounds, etc. But none of that even crossed my mind tonight. In fact, they even asked me during check-in if I was a user of tobacco products. I just said, "No, I used to be, but that was over 2 years ago," and didn't have another thought about it. No triggers, no craves, no "I wish I could smoke to deal with this," no nothing. 

And now I'm just happy that my foot will heal more quickly without all that junk in my system.

...Yes, the cravings will subside. Yes, life will get better. Yes, you will get through tough events without smoking. And yes, you will even forget all about it for long periods of time.  Life without smoking will become the new normal, and that is a very good thing. 
  • Quit Meter

$22,510.65

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 601 Hours: 18

Minutes: 18 Seconds: 22

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Reading this thread: