Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,508 Members

Please welcome our newest members: ALAICA, JD7, Ww12, Fwcl, anonymeLouise

Missed a Step?

14 years ago 0 278 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Samuel,

I see that you have moved up your quit date.  Fantastic!  I hope the slip gives you the extra motivation needed to beat smoking for good.  Stay close to the boards, and you can do this!

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 4/3/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 151
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 2,265
Amount Saved: $1,132.50
Life Gained:
Days: 16 Hrs: 12 Mins: 1 Seconds: 6

14 years ago 0 639 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome Samuel,

You are embarking on a very unique, challenging and interesting journey.  Besides all the great advice you have received, I found blogging on this site very helpful for me.  It allow me to pass the time, dig deeper into my inner being and to have a record that can be valuable to others that are thinking of quitting OR helpful to those around you that don't smoke and cannot relate to the battles we are waging.

Don your armor, sharpen your pencil and kick some ash!!!

You can do this,

Dave 

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 1/19/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 224
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 6,720
Amount Saved: $1,764.00
Life Gained:
Days: 36 Hrs: 15 Mins: 12 Seconds: 38

• Quit Meter

$50,453.01

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1124 Hours: 1

Minutes: 6 Seconds: 16

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

14 years ago 0 2778 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Samuel!!!

I think it's time for you to write...  You made up your mind last night, so it's time to write your goodbye letter to that ex so-called friend!  A lot of us have done that and I think it really helps to bring closure!  Tell that stinking non-friend exactly how you feel about it and why you will never let it into your life again!!!    Then print that out  AND  your 9 reasons and read them both whenever that stinking nico-demon calls you out!

I've always loved campfires and fire in general, too, and was fortunate to end up with the job that I now have!  Maybe that's one reason that I became a smoker as such an early age!  Anyways, there are plenty of resources available to learn how to make jewelry and stuff out of glass.  If you want to IM me here during the week, I'll be happy to share some tips!

As for your questions, coping mechanisms...  the main thing that got me started was the Chantix!  It REALLY minimized the gut-wrenching cravings I had experienced on previous quits and for me that was 50% of what I needed!  The second 50% was the SSC...  learning from the program, learning from the posts on the forums and finally, logging in here when I got to work!!!  I would read and post in between jobs for the distraction instead of stepping out to smoke another coffin nail!  Then if a crave was really coming on, I'd head over to the stair well and climb 4 flights of stairs.  I would do rhythmical deep breathing to every step up those stairs, just concentrating on the breathing and telling that nico-demon NOPE!!!  Upon my return to my shop, the ice water was there! 

Another part of my coping mechanism was my reward system!!!  My long term reward is going to be a great scuba diving trip when I feel that I have saved enough "cigarette money" to do it right!  This includes taking my dive buddy (my wife), so it's going to take a while longer to accumulate for the trip!  I did have my daily rewards in the beginning, though!  I told myself that if I was a good boy and didn't smoke the whole day, I would reward myself with a beer after work!  I always have had a beer or 2 after work and I just told myself that if I slipped...  NO  BEER!!!  That was real incentive to me, because I'm a former homebrewer and have come to enjoy a specialty beer or two in the evening!  To me, it would have really sucked not to be able to have a beer, so maybe that helped to brainwash me a bit!!! 

As for the Chantix... no, I don't feel that I had any long term effects from it!  I got through 3 weeks on the drug and by then I had my mind made up that I was NOT going to ever smoke again!  I have heard all of the reports on the side effects, but I do think, like many others here, that smoking often masks some mental issues that some people have and when they quit while taking the drug, the issues are exposed.  My sister, her husband and my sister-in-law all took Chantix for maybe a week or so, because they said that they couldn't handle the side effects.  They all said that the drug was really helping in reducing their smoking that first week and that their cravings were very mild, but their complaint was either the dreams or the acid indigestion.  I experienced both, but there are ways to aleviate the acid indigestion and the dreams and sleeplessness were something that I was willing to put up with if it was going to help minimize the cravings so that I could remain a non-smoker!  BTW...  my siblings and in laws are still smoking and it just breaks my heart.   I am hoping that you can succeed and be a good role model to your parents, as I am trying to do with my loved ones!

Keep telling yourself that you can be the non-smoker you want to be!!!  Do what ever it takes to get through the first couple of weeks, one day or one minute at a time!!!  Slay the demon!!!  Post before you smoke!!!   NOPE!!!

Jim

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 3/5/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 544
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 13,600
Amount Saved: $2,244.00
Life Gained:
Days: 92 Hrs: 4 Mins: 57 Seconds: 48

• Quit Meter

$44,242.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1058 Hours: 22

Minutes: 40 Seconds: 20

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

14 years ago 0 1843 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Samuel, glad to see you jumped back on the horse with a plan in place!  Stay close to the site, and if you get that dreaded urge to smoke, post for help and wait for 5 responses before you act on any urge.  Somebody is always close by!
My Milage:

My Quit Date: 8/20/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 376
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 15,040
Amount Saved: $3,760.00
Life Gained:
Days: 56 Hrs: 2 Mins: 17 Seconds: 7

14 years ago 0 1904 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I hear you, rswfire. I count all of the attempts I made before I got this one as part of this quit. (Each of those quits prepared me for this one.) When I do so, I realize that getting this quit going really wasn't all that easy. I can not just get a 120 day quit going anytime I want to. (Woo, I'm no longer in denial!) Last time I had this many days was doing my three year quit that happened over 20 years ago. Hopefully, after blowing that one, I'll now be better prepared to not blow this one. There really is no such thing as an easy quit. Good for us. Something to cherish. A bit of a butt kicking can go a long way some times.

That said, I thought about smoking on and off today. And figure these thoughts may go on for a while. I'm stressed, and the thoughts are just a little annoying. They are just thoughts. Luckily, they don't obligate me to take any action. I don't have to smoke and can't see a reason to put those poisons back into my body. I also am coming to terms with the fact that my past actions have damaged my body. However, I am looking at the fact the I am no longer smoking and, therefore, I'm doing what I can. Yes, I should have quit sooner, but I tried and couldn't. I believe I can honestly tell that to God. Only God is perfect, and I am not God. Before I quit smoking this time, I told myself that I had to stop even if I had already done irreversible damage. I had decided that I didn't want to die addicted, if that was going to be the case. I think I won't. I also don't think I will die anytime soon.

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 5/1/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 119
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 3,332
Amount Saved: $1,291.15
Life Gained:
Days: 13 Hrs: 2 Mins: 6 Seconds: 49

14 years ago 0 29 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you PB and Rock and everyone else.  I've taken all of your advice to heart and I have set a new quit date for 09/09/09 and set my 9 reasons for wanting to be smoke-free (my benefits of quitting).  It's just a start.  I still have much to plan and do but I'm certain that I will be ready when the time comes.  :-)

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 9/9/2009
Smoke-Free Days: -11
Cigarettes Not Smoked: -242
Amount Saved: $-35.91
Life Gained:
Days: 0 Hrs: 0 Mins: 0 Seconds: -108848

14 years ago 0 363 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi rswfire,

A slip is a slip, but every attempted quit is a learning experience, and that is what is important. It has taken me several tries to get to this point in my life, some were serious, some were off the cuff and spontaneous, but all were learning experiences. From what I read in your first post, "letting go" is something you need to learn how to do. I'm not real sure how one goes about learning something like that, but I'm sure it can be done.
   Just to let you know, at 148 days, I still think about smoking, and I still have to use rigid discipline to stay smoke free. You will experience Hell week, and Heck week, and none of it will be easy, but look around you, it can be done, it is possible.

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 4/2/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 148
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 5,920
Amount Saved: $1,776.00
Life Gained:
Days: 21 Hrs: 23 Mins: 31 Seconds: 25

• Quit Meter

$37,578.45

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 988 Hours: 9

Minutes: 44 Seconds: 58

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

14 years ago 0 1843 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Samuel, I read a quote here not too long ago.  "Don't get upset at the slip, get upset at what caused the slip."  Jim's 6 Ps are the way to go.  He taught me that over a year ago and I haven't forgotten it!  Think of this as a practice round to your final quit.  And lastly, the Wright Brother's first plane didn't fly.  Ben Franklin's first kite didn't sail in the wind.  If you need a couple days to regroup, take them.  Don't jump back on the horse until you have the 6 Ps down!  And grab onto one of our hands if you need help!
My Milage:

My Quit Date: 8/20/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 373
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 14,920
Amount Saved: $3,730.00
Life Gained:
Days: 55 Hrs: 17 Mins: 36 Seconds: 18

Awe, thanks Josie.  That's sweet.  :-)
Thank you, Carlos.  You are such a nice guy.  Hard not to beat myself up, but I think it is a good sign I still feel motivated to try again.  At least I'm not just going to throw in the towel and say oh well and forget about it.  Even though the last six days were hard, there were too many good things about them that I can't so easily forget.  Sheesh, one cigarette and my lungs feel heavy.  Two days after quitting, that was gone.  Four days in, I could smell flowers.  I had no idea they smelled so good, lol.  Plus I smelled so good myself!  I've always been self-conscious about that around non-smokers and it made me feel good to know I didn't smell like an ashtray!  There are just too many good reasons to quit and they don't even take that long!!  I will definitely get the book - maybe I can read the book and take Chantix for a week and then quit again.

Jim, I know hardly anything about you but I just have so much respect and admiration for you.  Yes, I do like fire a lot, haha.  But I'm not a pyro and it has nothing to do with smoking, lol.  To me, fire is a spiritual element and I think of it in those terms - like meditating to a candle for example.  And I love campfires!!  I even love the smell of campfires.  I'd love to make some dychroic glass art though - that would be really cool actually, never really thought about it before.  Maybe I could make some kind of jewelry - bracelets and stuff, that would be fun.  I haven't tried to quit in about five years, so yes this was my first attempt in a long time.  I did not know the 6 P's!  Thanks for sharing them with me.  I wasn't prepared at all.  I quit during a time when I'm pretty financially strapped, but that is something I can resolve without too much trouble. I think the most important thing you said is making sure I have my coping mechanisms ready at any moment - clearly, I failed there.  What were your coping mechanisms?  Just keeping yourself distracted?  Do you feel like you had any long-term side effects from the Chantix?  I know it can really help, but the side-effects do concern me.  God only knows what they are doing to your brain and people have reported being suicidal while taking it.  It's hard to ignore those things.  By the way, I'm very sorry to hear about your dad.  Both of my parents live across the street from me and I'm very close to my mom.  They both smoke and my mom has a hereditary disease that has gotten to the point that she is sick a lot now.  It scares me that I may lose her and I think my slipping has made her consider quitting with me.  I could start taking the Chantix again on Sunday and quit again soon after that.  I really don't want to give up; I just need to prepare!!

Reading this thread: