Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,526 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

Ackkkkkkk - dying for a smoke rigiht now!!!!

11 years ago 0 880 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
breather:

Spot on as usual...Putting an end to the cycle of addiction has a lot to do with our personal perceptions of the process.  If we approach it with the mind set of loss, we will grieve.  If, on the other hand, we see the change as a gain, we will be happy and grateful. 

stay well

nonic  
  • Quit Meter

$66,570.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1373 Hours: 16

Minutes: 29 Seconds: 53

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

11 years ago 0 816 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello Working On It , snice , etc. This post is for you. Thank you Vincenza. I was reading another post and wanted to reply but it seemed to have vanished when I logged in. The thing that we seem to lose track of is the fact that we didn't become addicted in one day. Remember that we need to take baby steps and that abstinace is a process. We're works in progress if you will. N.O.P.E. is a good concept but forever is a very long time. I prefer to digest it in smaller peices like a day at a time or 5 minutes at a time. I was at a music festival a few weeks back in another province and realised that it was over 4 years since I'd been there. I was a smoker the last time I was there. It took me back and it seemed like it was yesterday. So that was another first to add to the collection. Perhaps the next time I go I can remember the time just past because today I don't smoke. Message to self : Take the time to smell the flowers. Take small bites because it's easier to digest. Baby steps , baby steps , baby steps ..................
11 years ago 0 1853 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi breather,

That is an excellent reminder, I think especially for newbies.  If you haven't reflected honestly about your reasons for quitting smoking - you may realize you are quitting for all the right reasons, but for other people - not yourself.  This generally leads to too much pressure and relapses since the person is more likely just 'going through the motions' to please others.  

Members,
how many of you have found yourselves in the first category breather describes?  What helped you change from 'going through the motions' of being smoke-free to feeling/knowing in your gut that this is what you want and you will do what it takes to achieve it?

Vincenza, Health Educator
Hello , I wanted to elaborate on something that I previously said because I think it's too important a thought to get lost in translation and to be perfectly clear about it. " The way I see it is that stopping smoking isn't just about stopping smoking but to be happy about it in order to stay that way ". I wanted to clarify that no matter how long that anyone has been free of the smoking addiction or any other addiction if that person isn't truley happy about their change in lifestyle there is always the possibility of returning to that particular addiction. The question would be then , " Are we merely going through the motions of not doing something all the while being miserable with our situation and feeling deprived or do we feel that we are the best that we can be now and wouldn't change where we are now for anything ? Only you can answer the question for yourself and I hope the answer is the latter. Excellent for you. breather 
11 years ago 0 2778 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Beautiful Don!

Awesome stats, too Buddy!!!  6 7, 0 0 0 cancer sticks you haven't had to smoke!!!  Amazing and "Excellent" for you, my friend!!!

Have a great smoke-free weekend!!!

Jim 
  • Quit Meter

$44,280.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1059 Hours: 20

Minutes: 53 Seconds: 7

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Hey Working On It & Jim ,  Early on in the quit it was the people and the humour that got us through. We had to be able to laugh at ourselves. Sense of humour a must. When I first joined this group Lil and Miss Marples were in fine humour , I guess the only way to deal such a serious subject. At any rate I was amazed at how they seemed to have found something because it wasn't only that they weren't smoking but actually seemed happy about it. Strange ? It made me want to have some of what they had! We can only keep what we have by giving it away and Jim's been paying it forward from the start. Yes Working , I've come a long way since being curled up in the fetal position , just trying to hang on , and wishing the day to end. You've put a lot into your quit Working and with that you'll get a lot out of it. Excellent for you. For those that don't know our dear Miss Marples sadly passed away some time back. She is sorely missed by myself and many others here. She truely has her wings now. The crave cart idea of hers was surely one of the best ideas. The way I see it is that stopping smoking isn't just about stopping smoking but to be happy about it in order to stay that way. Today , I'm grateful that there's no need to smoke. Today's quote of the day can say it better than I can so I'll end with it. " Trust yourself. Create the kind of self that you will be happy to live with all your life. Make the most of yourself by fanning the tiny , inner sparks of possibility into flames of acheivement". Foster C. McClellan
Hey Don!!!

The "good ol' days", right!    I think that it is helpful for our new members to read what it was like for us back in those dark ages!  Our Forums were so active back then and people were checking in often, sometimes 10 or more times a day for support or to help everyone along on their journeys!!!  I'd really like to see more activity here, as it would definitely help even more new quitters succeed!  

Anyways, this is a great thread... right from the beginning!  Read and learn, Buddies!!!    Oh, and if you happen to read a thread that you think that will help your new-found quit buddies here, just reply to bump it forward!!!  Really good stuff on these forums!

Jim 
  • Quit Meter

$44,280.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Minutes: 53 Seconds: 8

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

11 years ago 0 1140 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
This was really good for me to read. Seeing the difference between breather back then and breather now is amazing. Today's breather seems so calm and matter-of-fact about not smoking, despite having once been strung out just like everyone is in that first week. 

I'm already way calmer than I was during hell week, but I am looking forward to being even more under control a year or some out. 
  • Quit Meter

$22,551.85

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 602 Hours: 21

Minutes: 55 Seconds: 50

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Hey Jim ,  Just happened on this post and it brought back some of the old feelings again but in a good way. I'd forgotten about some of the lowest days , the sick high feeling and the hole that couldn't be filled. Was thinking that if I was still smoking the title could be dying with a smoke instead of dying for one. A lot has happened since those early posts when just tring to make it through the day was a challenge to say the least. There is no sick high feeling anymore and the hole in me is no longer there. What a wonderful thing time is. The healer of all things. To the newbie I will say what I always do " You only have to go through this quitting busines once and you're going to thank yourself for doing it ". So yes you can do it and yes it's going to be OK. Excellent for you. breather with a small b because the Addict is bigger than I am.
Bump for all of you recent quitters!  Go back to the beginning and read through all the pages here!  There is some great support posts and words of wisdom here!  I'd like to hear your comments!

Jim 
  • Quit Meter

$44,280.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Minutes: 53 Seconds: 8

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked