Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,634 Members

Please welcome our newest members: CuppaJo, GCAJULAO, RPABIA, TEBON, SJOLINE GEL

Life is no fun?

17 years ago 0 327 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
How far into your quit are you, Dee? [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/16/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 3 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 76 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $12 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 13 [B]Mins:[/B] 47 [B]Seconds:[/B] 3
17 years ago 0 13 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Tell me when can I expect to start thinking that my life can be engaging and fun without cigarettes? I am not a drinker and I say to myself "Dee, think of all the alcoholics who think they cannot have a life without a drink. That's you! You think that life without a cigarette can't make you happy. How ridiculous is that?" Now, since I am not a addictive drinker I know that I can have a full and complete life without a cocktail, so logically the same must be true of cigarettes!!! I know that eventually, life becomes interesting again (I quit for two years) but I really can't remember how long it took. I don't want to read (my passion), I don't want to be home (where 90% of my smoking took place) and I don't want to be in the car alone (the other 10% was there). That leaves work and sleep. So at about what mark did you realize that life was really good without the cigs? Dee
Dang it! I forget to activate my quit meter every time. Meister, I am on day four and have been this road before. I just need someone to remind me that life does get back to normal. Thanks, Josie! I appreciate your support. I will be okay. Like Luna (who I would love to talk to), I am a mental health professional and have worked with addictions (mainly D and A, never nicotine for obvious reasons). I know all the "tricks" and all the junkie talk. But this is ME!!! The difference because I am the junkie here! By the way, the self talk I mentioned above would mainly come after leading groups of addicts and me thinking "They really believe that life has no beauty without those drugs" Well, I can relate, I guess. Don't get me wrong, I am not kicking or screaming (yet). On a scale of 1 to 10, today was a 5. But I want to look forward to never thinking about smoking again or at least only having it cross my mind. Dee
Okay, day 6 is here! I am still up and down but I keep saying to myself... "Just take it day by day, hour by hour" [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/16/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 5 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 71 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $17.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 11 [B]Mins:[/B] 33 [B]Seconds:[/B] 13
17 years ago 0 2631 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Dee...I think you must have cut and pasted my post from my 3rd day. I was so desperated........that I caved and went out to grab one of my hubby's smokes...BUT HE WAS OUT ....so came back and posted instead. I know that some people have had easy quits and they will disagree...but my personal belief is that THERE IS NO POSSIBLE WAY TO HAVE FUN DURING THE FIRST WEEK OF YOUR QUIT! (And the second week kinda sucks too) Then you pass through elation, depression, pissed off, elated again, depressed, craving, elated, calm, cranky, calm again....and yes...happy! I have several big hurdles ahead of me including dealing with big stress, socializing with smokers and cutting down on patches. But honest...I've had some happy days already (which I am trying really really hard to press into my memory for those tough days ahead) I have to admit that I got tired of "surviving" and I wanted to live again. People kept talking about rewards and changing your schedule and I didn't really do much about it....but rewards are fun! For me coming home after work was a complete drag - so I go shopping for a little while (and sometimes I buy things!!) I have actually had a couple nights of drinking my share of wine (with non-smokers in a non-smoking atmosphere) and had fun... I have also had days when I've been miserable....I have a long road ahead of me..........but I've seen enough to know that there will be "Fun" at the other side..... Windy [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 9/11/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 38 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 778 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $190 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 16 [B]Mins:[/B] 36 [B]Seconds:[/B] 30
17 years ago 0 2631 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Dee and Dorothy - I think that many of us go through an intense period of grieving and depression when we feel like we have lost our best friend. Cigarettes have been there with me every time I was stressed, bored, lonely, depressed, excited, angry - you name it. But this "friend" also started to take over my life to the point where it was controlling me. I started to withdraw from situations where I couldn't smoke and became more stressed, bored, lonely...etc. I still know that it would be so easy for me to slip and I have a long road ahead of me....but I don't miss my "friend" anymore. I am starting to realize how much better life is without that addiction. Depression is completely normal....but it does get better and life will be so much better when we are free! Windy [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 9/11/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 40 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 808 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $200 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 20 [B]Mins:[/B] 4 [B]Seconds:[/B] 49
17 years ago 0 2039 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Dee, I understand you completely. It would be nice if I had the same thoughts about smoking as I do about alcohol. I'm not much of a drinker either, and therefore, I never think about it. I wish I never thought about smoking either, but I know that takes time. I love to read as well, but not right now because I can't concentrate. I love to knit, well forget it! And I love to cook. In one of my other threads I explained how I bought a lot of soup on sale, and how for right now, some nights will be fend for yourself. Soup and sandwich. Nothing fancy. I just can't do it right now. But just seeing the number of people who feel the same way as me makes me feel better. So hang on Dee, it all becomes normal again. Cheers, Jan
17 years ago 0 1006 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Dee, Glad to see you have found the most powerful thing to help you, right here - that is to post here whenever you're not feeling great! See how great these people are, the advice here is just the best, isn't it??!! The moment you feel bad - SSC is there! I really can't give you any advice, further than what's already written and everyone's quit is so different, as you have already gathered, I'm sure. But my own two pence worth, my own experience, was that, after the first three weeks, you start to feel a bit more in control of your emotions. It's then up to you to control the emotions! The only certain thing I can tell you is - 'Stay close to this website - and you'll succeed'. Honestly! Find your allies in us and you will feel better before you know it. Take some time to be good to yourself! Deli [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 8/1/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 80 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,211 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �240 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 6 [B]Hrs:[/B] 12 [B]Mins:[/B] 0 [B]Seconds:[/B] 23
17 years ago 0 1127 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Dee, I think it's different for everyone. I quit smoking on a saturday and by tuesday I was going out and when I grabbed my keys, I got a feeling of relief because I realized that I didn't have to smoke anymore. From that day on I felt better and better each day. Now, almost 7 months later I cannot understand that I ever smoked. My non-smoking life is sooooo much beter than my smokerslife. I know people say I'm lucky with my quit but I think it's my additude. I'm glad to be a happy non-smoker :) Bye :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 4/1/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 202 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 5,068 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �595.9 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 27 [B]Hrs:[/B] 21 [B]Mins:[/B] 13 [B]Seconds:[/B] 29
17 years ago 0 3131 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
When you realise, the benefits of the quit. No coughing, not out of breath, smelling good, better complection, nice hair, my nails are even nicer now, my eyes bluer and shinier. It feels so good. DOn't worry it will happen to you ,just be patient, as Nalu says so well :no rainbow without rain, so keep on quitting one day at a time and you will realise how good life is without the addiction. :)Marie [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/13/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 129 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,944 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $516 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 17 [B]Hrs:[/B] 2 [B]Mins:[/B] 18 [B]Seconds:[/B] 19

Reading this thread: