Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,631 Members

Please welcome our newest members: RPABIA, TEBON, SJOLINE GEL, Duncan Brown, BBEA ANGELIC

**SIGH**...its time for me to come on over

15 years ago 0 955 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Jan,

Do you ever feel like you won’t make it through the day without sugary or salty snacks? Can you avoid that late afternoon or late night Cinnamon bun or do they keep calling you from the box until you feel you can’t resist? How about once you get started – is it hard to stop until you’ve eaten 3 or 4? At these times, do you feel that carrot sticks, a few grapes or an apple won’t meet your needs and only chocolates or chips will satisfy your craving? Do you ever feel this way? Join the club! It happens to many people, especially those who try to deprive themselves or take drastic or restrictive steps to lose weight.

Just like in smoking, these feelings are referred to as cravings. At these times, it often feels as if there’s nothing you can do to stop yourself from going along with your cravings. They seem to control you and get the best of you. Many people who struggle with weight can experience cravings. For some, these feelings are so intense they feel they’ll never pass. And although at times it can feel like there’s nothing you can do to stop your cravings, there are lot of techniques that’ll help you to not give in and actually feel better and more in control.

The good news is that what we’re teaching you as part of your healthy nutrition plan will go along way in helping you control your cravings. By being sure to get enough calories (from a balanced perspective nutrition-wise, including plenty of fruits, vegetables, protein, healthy fats and whole grains) your body will have the nutrition it needs. As you learned earlier, the bulk (or volume) in your diet will help you to feel satisfied. By taking in enough calories, you won’t get overly hungry, which is another major trigger for cravings. By making sure to include the types of foods you enjoy in your diet (in controlled portions) you reduce the chances of having a craving.

Members, any other advice to offer Jan? Please share your experience!

Sarah, Health Educator
  • Quit Meter

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 0 Hours: 0

Minutes: 0 Seconds: 0

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

15 years ago 0 763 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

**SIGH**...ITS TIME FOR ME COME ON OVER! 

I started this thread last August and I'm still trying to make my way over here!  I suppose that if it took extra calories to stay smoke free...then it was worth it.

I'm ready...the extra weight is making me feel uncomfortable.  I went shopping today and bought only the good stuff!!!!  Yes, even apples and tangerines(good choices by the way).  Salad stuff, veggies, low fat cheese, etc.  We can't get fat free cheeses up here in Canada.  Only in the process cheese slice form!!!!  And many recipes call for it.  Ah...well, I'll find other stuff to eat.

Just like I did when I decided to stop smoking...I WON'T GIVE UP on losing these extra pounds.

Chips anyone????  Just kidding.

Jan

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 1/27/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 427
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 10,675
Amount Saved: $3,522.75
Life Gained:
Days: 48 Hrs: 13 Mins: 42 Seconds: 48

15 years ago 0 541 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
My new junk food snacks are Apples and Tangerines

:-)

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 5/3/2007
Smoke-Free Days: 695
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 21,545
Amount Saved: $3,770.38
Life Gained:
Days: 111 Hrs: 23 Mins: 1 Seconds: 24

15 years ago 0 58 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey I'm with you Ziggy!! ... it seems a little bit unfair doesn't it ... putting on (more) weight is not a happy thought for me ... now..  not enough to keep me away from the cookie jar you understand!! ... but it's not a happy situation.  It's like a kinda double punishment ... I mean wots next ... will I have to give up all my extra marital lovers and quit with my leather fetish???

Seriously ... it's early days for me and already I have put on a bit of weight .. but the way I see it is .. I will deal with that a little later but the upside is that I can now breathe a little better and therefore excercise should not make me feel as though I am being throttled and/or suffocated whislt having a large hammer thrust repeatedly into my chest.

Hopefully, when I get a better handle on this quit - I will feel a little more motivated to 'DO' things rather than just resigning myself to a cup of coffee and a smoke AND now that I have been able to quit for a whole three weeks ... I now think that I could acheive almost anything (misguided fool that I am!!) So I figure that if I have the determination to stop smoking ... I know, I will (in time) muster up the determination to lose some weight and get a little more active ... but for me ... it's just about focusing on the most important issue right now ... and that is fighting the cravings and keeping of the smokes ... Hey! Rome was not built in a day (apparently!)

Keep me up to date with your quit and the weight gain (or lack of weight gain if you are one of the lucky ones) ... I promise I will get back to you ... but only after I have eaten several large burgers, followed by a couple of cream cakes, a multi pack of crisps and a handful or two of peanuts .... and oh! not forgetting a carrot stick or two just to keep it balanced!!!  

Well done on your 7 days ... that's hell week in the bag ... you're gonna do great.

Luv Lil x

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 10/19/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 23
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 345
Amount Saved: �101.78
Life Gained:
Days: 2 Hrs: 3 Mins: 11 Seconds: 11

15 years ago 0 823 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Ziggy,

Gaining weight when quitting smoking is a common concern. However not everyone gains weight after quitting. Some people do, but usually only five or six pounds.

Two things seem to cause this weight gain. First, your body metabolism slows down when you quit, so you don't need as much food as when you were smoking. Second, you may use food to replace cigarettes and end up eating a bit more than before.

Some helpful tips:
Eat healthy, tasty, well-balanced meals as much as possible. Avoid fad diets.
Since food may taste better after you quit, you may want bigger helpings. Try to eat the same amount as usual.
Nicotine withdrawal can cause constipation. Drink lots of fluids.
Eat low-fat snacks like crackers, fruits, veggies or toast, instead of donuts, candy, or potato chips.
Moderate your use of alcohol. Keeping your hands busy with smoking may have slowed up your drinking before. Without a cigarette, your rate and number of drinks may increase along with your weight.
Get up and get moving! Physical activity can help to counteract any weight gain.

Start with a small achievable goal. Example: Walking 10 minutes everyday. Once you’ve gotten into the routine, change the activity goal. Example: Walking 20 minutes everyday, attending a fitness class once a week, join a sports team, take up a hobby that gets you moving like rock climbing or dancing.

What is key to remember is that increasing your level of physical activity requires changing your routine, therefore selecting a goal that is in tone with your current lifestyle in the beginning makes it a more manageable change and thus more sustainable over the long-term.

Please feel free to post your thoughts and experiences on weight gain here with us, we all learn from each other.

Good luck,

Faryal, Health Educator
15 years ago 0 3 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Now I'm scared.  So I will gain weight even if I don't eat more?  This stinks.  I have just recently lost about 40 pounds and then have gained 5 back from stress/hormonal eating.  I am trying to lose those 5 and now I quit smoking.  I'm beginning to think by reading this that I am not going to lose that 5 and maybe gain more even if I don't eat more.  What is the deal people?
My Milage:

My Quit Date: 11/4/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 7
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 140
Amount Saved: $23.10
Life Gained:
Days: 0 Hrs: 18 Mins: 40 Seconds: 30

15 years ago 0 48 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
It's amazing the amount of energy I have.  I'm a lazy person....I love nothing more than to sleep in on a Saturday.  This morning however, I was up an hour early and got on the bike before even coming in to work.  I'm a new me!!  No smoking and exercising and drinking water.  Who is this person???  :)
My Milage:

My Quit Date: 4/9/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 139
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 2,780
Amount Saved: $590.75
Life Gained:
Days: 11 Hrs: 2 Mins: 19 Seconds: 19

15 years ago 0 1693 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Wow Tiffany!
Congrats on making such great progress in terms of biking! 46 miles is an amazing accomplishment!
How are your eating habits? Are you eating lots of fruits and vegetables? Drinking lots of water? I am sure that you are developing muscle, and muscle does way more than fat, so that may be why you are not noticing a difference on the scale. However, I wouldn't rely too much on the scale. I would put more of a focus on how you feel. Do you find that you have a lot more energy?

Members, what has been working for you? Any tips for Tiffany?

Breanne, Bilingual Health Educator
15 years ago 0 1693 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Good luck Jan58!
You can do it, and we're here to support you every step of the way

Breanne, Bilingual Health Educator
15 years ago 0 1160 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Nothing can stop a made up mind.
My Milage:

My Quit Date: 7/4/2007
Smoke-Free Days: 401
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 8,020
Amount Saved: $1,604.00