Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,500 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

Mind Playing Games?

7 years ago 0 15 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Ashley,

If it comes down to it and I need the quit aids I will do it. I really wanted to go cold turkey, though I'm not sure why maybe to prove something to myself? However, I will ride this rollercoaster as long as I can! My reward system for myself has gotten a little out of hand lol I have begun an obsession with the leggings from LuLaRoe. However, once I get to a month I will reward myself with a detail cleaning of the inside of my car, to make sure all the smell is out. If I make it to 6 months I promised myself a new tattoo or an apple watch because I would have saved over $650. Right now I'm just trying to save money where I can so it makes it harder to reward. 

• Quit Meter

$12,594.96

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 210 Hours: 15

Minutes: 3 Seconds: 34

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

7 years ago 0 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi WizardRae,

Congrats on 17 days! Amazing. I love your attitude. Try your best and if you have a slip try again but learn from it. Perhaps next time talking to a doctor about quit aids may help? In the mean time try to focus on one minute, one hour, one day at a time. You are in the hardest stretch it will get easier. How do you plan on rewarding yourself on the 20 day mark? Rewards are an important part of a quit - it reinforces your behaviour and gives your mood a boost. Be sure to plan out your rewards. 
Ashley, Health Educator
Hi Tim,

I guess its the pressure I feel that is making it worse. I feel like if I don't do this or if I mess up everyone who is rooting for me will be upset. I am definitely a people pleaser. I found I get depressed sometimes from this but I eventually can pull myself out of it. I just hope this doesn't continue and will subside earlier rather than later. However I am now 17 days smoke free and just trying to take it one day at a time. I realize I am only human and can't be perfect but I will try as hard as I can and if I mess up I will try try again until it sticks!

• Quit Meter

$12,594.96

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

7 years ago 0 796 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi WizardRae,
 Relearning to deal with emotions and stress, without a cigarette, is part of the quit journey too. This may sound silly or stupid but it really works. Inhale slowly through your nose and hold it for 5 seconds, then exhale slowly through your mouth. Do this five times and you would not believe how more in control you will feel. 
 Hang in there.....it does get easier. Week one is the worst for some, week four for others, it all depends on the person. 

Not One Puff Ever 

• Quit Meter

$23,177.55

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 771 Hours: 5

Minutes: 4 Seconds: 3

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Hi Ashley,

Thank you I think I am on Day 10 now and the cravings are actually worse then they were... I have been a emotional mess especially with the different medications my doctor has me on. Very unstable at times :( I know this isn't going to be a instant gratification thing however if it just keeps getting worse and worse I'm not sure if I will make it cold turkey. 
  • Quit Meter

$12,594.96

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

7 years ago 0 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi WizardRae,

Congrats on over 4 days now!

This is normal and to be expected especially early on. The more you learn to enjoy activities without smoking the easier it will become. Also, work on challenging those thoughts - what else can you enjoy at the beach other then smoking? How can you enjoy the beach MORE without smoking (example, improved smell, not disturbing other beach goers, etc.)
Ashley, Health Educator
Hi WizardRae,
 Yes fear is a great motivator isn't it?  You've almost made it through hell heck now. You should have all of the nicotine out of your system by now. Make sure you drink lots of fluids to help your system start repairing itself. You should be feeling proud of your accomplishment by now too. Are you? This is the longest you've ever gone without smoking! You need to reward yourself for making it this far. The reasons for quitting are numerous and the reasons for starting smoking again are only excuses. You're stronger that that nasty Nico-Demon and you've proved it by quitting for a week now. Stay strong and don't give in to the urge. 

Not One Puff Ever

• Quit Meter

$23,177.55

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Minutes: 4 Seconds: 3

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Thank you Timbo637, I was a smoker for 17 years. I have tried quitting before however only lasted 7 hours. This is the longest I have gone and it may be out of fear (had a medical scare) they found a blood clot in my lung. They said its not severe and was cause by my birth control however it still terrified me. 

My biggest worry is that once the fear is gone and I am better will the nicotine win and say you miss me. Like would I have quit if this didn't happen? That is my biggest fear :(  
  • Quit Meter

$12,594.96

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Hi WizardRae, Congratulations on your quit! It's not your brain trying to tell you you'll miss smoking, it's that nasty Nico-Demon trying to trick you. You're not going crazy trust me. This is a normal part of the quit. You have had a "friend" between your fingers that always "seemed" to make things better when you inhaled from it. Now you no longer have that "friend" that you depended on to "make things better". If you have not done so yet, I'd recommend going through the program at the top of the page. It can help your on your quit journey. How long did you smoke? Have you tried quitting before? Whatever you do, don't give in to that nasty Nico-Demon, stay strong. It may not seem like, but things will get easier as time goes by. Not One Puff Ever
  • Quit Meter

$23,177.55

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Minutes: 4 Seconds: 4

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Hello,

I am on day 4 of quitting and the main problem I keep running into is that for some reason my brain keeps trying to tell me I am going to miss smoking! Im not sure if I am going crazy but I will see something on tv about going to a beach and my brain will go "Whats the point if you can't smoke there, you will just get burnt" and I have had several of these things pop in my head. Almost like my brain is telling me I will never enjoy anything without it.

Has this happened to anyone else?! Is it normal? Its driving me insane and I need to know how long it may last. 
  • Quit Meter

$12,594.96

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Reading this thread: