Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,526 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

should I plan on a couple vacation days for withdrawal?

11 years ago 0 2778 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Shannon!!!

I quit on a Wednesday.  In my warped thinking, I thought it would be best to get a couple of smoke-free days under my belt before Friday night happy hour came around!  It worked for me, but it  may not be the best thing for you.  I also chose the middle of the week because I knew that I needed distraction and needed to keep myself busy!  Work was the perfect place to accomplish both and there no way I could smoke at work.  I knew if I was at home, I would have too many smoking reminders nearby and nothing was there to stop me from driving to the convenience store up the road!  So, the middle of the week was best for me.

Everyone's plan is different.  The imprtant thing is to have a plan!  Remember the 6-P's... Proper Planning Prevent Piss-Poor Performance!   Use the information in the Program to come up with a plan that you think will work for you!  I know you want to get this quit underway, but prepare well and you're chances for success increase!  Write down that list of coping mechanisms you are going to use to avoid smoking.  Gather up ingredients for your "crave basket"!  Psych yourself up with Positive self talk!  Then, when the time comes for you to crush that last cigarette, there will be no anxiety!!!  All that will be left is Shannon chomping at the bits... ready to kick that nico-demon's ash! 

Prepare well, read and learn your lessons well and get ready to win every battle!  You CAN do this! 

Jim
  • Quit Meter

$44,280.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1059 Hours: 20

Minutes: 53 Seconds: 0

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

11 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Great question Hopeful. Good for you for preparing for withdrawal. Having a plan in place is important.

From what I have read in the support group some members have posted about taking time off and others have opted not to do so. To find out about some of the withdrawal symptoms you might experience read Session 3. Remember that every individual is different and every individual quit is different so listen to your body and decide what you think is right for you. Your body will be healing and it may be hard for you to focus, you may be tired. If you don't take time off work do plan to be easy on yourself when you get home. I have read that some members needed the rest so they took time off others felt they wanted to work as a distraction from the cravings.

I'm interested to hear what other members thoughts are on this topic.

Ashley, Health Educator
11 years ago 0 153 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
What about planning your quit day for the 16th instead (a Friday) and that way you'll have the weekend to get through what may be the most difficult days?
11 years ago 0 86 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello -

My quit date is November 19th.  I am more than a little concerned about the withdrawals since I have not gone one day without nicotine for 16 years.  I am wondering if I should plan to take a day or two off of work? 

Thoughts?  Experiences?

Thanks for your support!

Reading this thread: