Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,511 Members

Please welcome our newest members: ALAICA, JD7, Ww12, Fwcl, anonymeLouise

It?s getting worse, not better....

11 years ago 0 2778 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Gummybear!!!

I'm so glad to hear that you have a better perspective now!  This IS the place to come to when you are feeling down and out or looking for answers!  You can find them here in the Forums or by just posting and waiting for responses!  Many of us went through the stage you finally reached VERY early on in our quits... like me!  I practically lived on this site my first few months!  Reading and posting really helped to distract me from smoking and also allowed me to meet some very special new friends who all knew what I was going through.  We all have a special bond and are always ready to lend an ear or words of wit and wisdom!  

Stick close and don't forget the REWARDS!!!  You have done an excellent job battling the demon for 9 months and for that you definitely deserve many rewards!  I have found that rewarding yourself for every major milestone reached helpful and healthy for our minds!  You have a really big one coming up 3 months from now... start giving thought to what that reward should be for that milestone!  Keep looking forward... keep your eyes on the prize!  Freedom IS worth every hardship that you are now enduring... I promise! 

Jim

• Quit Meter

$44,257.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1059 Hours: 4

Minutes: 24 Seconds: 9

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

11 years ago 0 1853 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi GummyBear,

SO glad to hear you are getting the support you need right now!  You are no doubt a big inspiration for your husband, and when he is ready to quit - he'll have a great partner to walk him through it!
Keep staying strong!

Vincenza, Health Educator
11 years ago 0 816 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
GummyBear  Glad to hear that you're feeling better now. There is a book that I found extremely helpful that many have read which is called " The Easy Way To Stop Smoking" by Alan Carr. We learned how to become smokers. We didn't become addicted overnight so certain behaviours we need to unlearn. Alan explains in simple terms how we were never smokers and didn't need to be. The people that never smoked have never needed to smoke and we can be that way as well.  I look at becoming a non-smoker as learning how to live because obviously I didn't know how to live when I was sucking carbon monoxide into my lungs. Anyway I just want to sat that you've done an amazing job so keep up the good work and be proud of yourself as you should be. Going through the motions of not smoking simply isn't enough for me and I need to be happy in it. Every day we become further removed from this insanity. I make no apology to anyone. It's my life and I intend to fully enjoy it. No more coughing with a cigarette hanging out of my face and that makes me happy. Excellent for you. breather
11 years ago 0 2 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you... all of you. I didn't smoke!!! Breather helped a lot, especially telling me if I stay smoke free then I will never have to feel this way again, my husband tried to quit, but went back. He told me it doesn't help, its only a quick escape, but there are other ways to escape, we just need to figure out a healthy alternative. He wants to try again eventually... you guys have helped a lot, so has my husband, it was just really rough for me and I am glad I came here instead, now I know my escape... its here.. even talking about it for a quick 3 minutes :)
11 years ago 0 1853 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi GummyBear,

I can't put it better than your friends breather or roses did.  Know that we are here for you - especially during these challenging times.   One member that has been smoke free for over 4 years mentioned that he still sets goals for himself to keep busy and focused and then makes sure to include the rewards and continue celebrating living smoke-free.  Have you rewarded yourself for reaching 9 months? 
As roses said, you are stronger than you give yourself credit for.  Keep up the fight- you are stronger than your addiction!

Vincenza, Health Educator
11 years ago 0 2508 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hang on GummyBear..

Thats right and you said it yourself..Your are not this kind of person..and you are not that angry, irritated, aggressive person all the time..We all feel this way sometimes..I know I have and do..Sometimes it is the nicotine cravings talking and sometimes it is justified and sometime it is not..But it is ok to feel this emotions sometimes because we are human..Feeling the feelings is hard especially since we have quit smoking and using nicotine and a lot of these feeling are new to us..We never really let ourselves feel before. We covered up our feelings and emotions with a cloud of smoke..You are not alone in these feelings..I am sure there are many of us who have felt this way. You hang in there and so will I because I know that these uncomfortable feeling will pass in time. These emotions are feeling that all the people that have never smoked have felt all along...I think we will get better at handling them in time..Smoking never really helps..I know I have lost quits because of this, because I didn't think I could handle the feelings because I didn't like the way I was feeling but you know what going back to smoking didn't fix anything..I was just a Angry Smoker than and  I really hated myself for smoking again and for letting myself and everyone down who believed in me and my quit..Do Not Go Back To Smoking..It Won't fix anything..

Good for you for having the courage and strength to come here and Talk..You are a lot stronger than give yourself credit for..You have won again...

Hang in there and Never Take Another Puff Ever..

Red...
11 years ago 0 816 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello GummyBear  You've come this far now so why not go all the way. This is the place to rant and rave , get your frustrations out , cry if need be and know that others are going through and have gone through what you're going through now. It's hard enough trying to stop smoking without others ruffling our feathers. There is one thing more than anything else that will defeat us and that is to be blindsided by what we should have seen coming. If you live where there is winter snowfall find your snow shovel now so you know where it is when you need it and maybe your husband can clean your battery terminals before it gets cold as well. You're probably thinking that this guy's out of his #@"*% mind right ? The reason is when we're left without options we get angry. When the car doesn't start and we're late we get angry. What I'm saying is plan ahead. I stopped cold turkey as well and it took me a long time to get over it. I wondered if it was ever going to get any better but one day it did get better and it's been getting better ever since. Punch a pillow , write down what's bothering you on paper and then burn it or go and scream somewhere but don't smoke. I don't know when it will get better for you but I know that eventually it will get better. We're all about rewards here so reward yourself however small or inexpensive. Do something just for you. Be kind to yourself and your family. It's hard to take it back when the damage is done. Read the posts here on rewards to get some ideas on what others do to reward themselves for not smoking. The addict in us tells us that we're doing poorly when it just isn't true. The truth of the matter is that you're doing awesome. Not smoking for 9 months is amazing. I find that if I'm grateful that there's no room left for anger or a temper tantrum. Tell yourself that I never want to go through this again , that I don't want to feel like this any more and if I don't smoke I won't have to. As long as I don't smoke I never have to go through this again. Excellent for you for coming here and posting instead of smoking. Yay for you. breather
11 years ago 0 2 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I quit smoking cold turkey as a NYE resolution - it's now been 9 months and my temper is progressively getting worse. I can't stand being around anyone right now I just want people to shut up and leave me alone, I have to fight myself from wanting to smoke; I get irratated and aggitated quickly and want to lash out. I have NEVER been like this, I have always been a very loving person and generally very social, outgoing and fun to be around. Now I can't even stand to be around myself.
Everything I have read has said that people go through what I'm going through within the first 3 months, the first few months were cake for me, maybe because it was so exciting and I felt great about myself. Now, I have lack of motivation and I don't even feel like doing anything, they say to exercise or do something to take your mind off your craving, I don't even want to do that. I feel argumentative; I just want to scream.
I'm married to an amazing understanding man and have a beautiful son with him that I feel guilty when I don't even want them around me, I could never tell them that because they're my family and they are everything to me.
It makes me honestly wonder if my general overall health is really worth not wanting my own family around me because of how aggitated and frustrated I get. It's getting WORSE - I can't stress that enough, I'm not getting any better; I'm always needing to move and I can't think straight...
And don't tell me to see if there's any medication out there to help me out, because why kick one addiction for another.. it's still making your body crave something it's missing and the whole point of addiction to kick the craving, and pills are about the worst thing to do to your body, it takes a lot for me to even take tylenol for a headache. Where it stands right now I just want to start smoking to feel normal again...
I know I sound like some evil person right now - I'm actually NOT this kind of person... I don't feel like myself anymore, I just feel agressive and irrated and it's just getting worse..

Reading this thread: