Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,511 Members

Please welcome our newest members: ALAICA, JD7, Ww12, Fwcl, anonymeLouise

Recreate Me...

11 years ago 0 880 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Litsa:

I think that you are very serious about quitting and that serves you well.  For many of us here this is a time of introspection and self evaluation.  I have used smoking as a kind of self-medication.  It had been a way for me to justify, explain and in the worst of times comfort my wee tiny self in this big old universe...But I believe that when we begin to understand that by doing so we are hurting ourselves, we start the engines of self-creation. That is a very powerful tool, but it takes courage to acknowledge that we are able to change (self-create)...I think you have that courage...

stay well

nonic  

• Quit Meter

$66,538.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1302 Hours: 22

Minutes: 47 Seconds: 56

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

11 years ago 0 43 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you so much, nonic, for your understanding and your truly, truly inspiring words. I was not being facetious when I initially posted my thoughts. I do believe in being honest though and not every day is one where I can punch the air in triumph because I have succeeded in the battle with my worst enemy – in my case, my mind.

Your post has started to make me think about the reasons that I started, and continued, smoking for so long, and you are right – one of the major reasons was fear. In realizing this, and putting a word or a feeling to this unease inside me, will make it easier to unravel the reasons for fearing. I do believe that this will be a time of introspection for me and I have a long path ahead, but am feeling more confident every day and your words have helped me tremendously.

Thank you

11 years ago 0 1853 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Great Post nonic - Thank you for sharing!

Litza, How have you been doing with your quit?
Vincenza, Health Educator
11 years ago 0 880 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Litsa:

Thank you for this very honest and inquisitive post...I understand your perspective here.  When we seek cessation, we are working on changing ourselves in a significant manner.  And change can be unsettling in the least and at its extremes a source of fear.    You are right.  Cessation is a rebirthing process, or as your write a recreation of sorts. 

But I don't think that we are literally recreating ourselves.  I think of it as making the who that I am, the who that I want to be.  Once upon a time in a land far away we all made a choice to smoke.  And for many of us, that choice carried with it many unforseen consequences.  When first we walked down tobacco road, it did not occur to us how important this drug would become in our lives.  We did not know how deeply it would impact our emotional and physical well being.  How could we have known?

But many yesterdays have become today, and here we stand.  We have a new choice in front of us.  And that is a very sweet thing indeed.  How many times in our lives do we get a chance to correct a past error? 

Here is a bit out of my journal that you may find interesting.  I wrote this at a time when I was trying to explain to myself why I was going through the pains of withdrawal.  Maybe you can find some things in it that will shed light on what another sojouner thought.  If not don't worry, but please do continue searching for your own answers.  The trip to cessation is a very worthy and important goal...

stay well

nonic   

YOU ARE NOT YOUR ADDICTION

Our addiction is a many headed beast, a sort of Hydra. The
addiction itself has many elements. But of all the inter-dependent pieces of
this addiction, there is one that breaks my heart more than any of the others.
And the irony of this is that the element of which I speak is one that springs
from our own inner beings. Fear.
As I read the posts, I can almost sense, beneath the words,
a subtext of pure fear. It is understandable. While fear is indeed one of the
Hydra's heads, fear is not built into cigarettes at the factory. No, we
manufacture our own fear. In many ways fear is a trick of the addiction. And we
are the magicians.

Fear does not serve us well on our journey to cessation.
Fear, in fact, keeps us addicted. Until we begin to come to terms with our
fear, we will remain addicted. Until we desire cessation because we know that
we will regain our health, we will remain addicted. Until we want freedom more
than we are willing to accept servitude, we will remain addicted.

Perhaps one way to do this is to see that we are not our
addiction. We were not born addicted. Somewhere along the line we made a bad
choice and choose to smoke. So be it. 
That choice we made many years ago, is not who we are today. We should
celebrate cessation as a second chance, a way to correct a past error. How
often does that come along?

Fear is difficult to control. I have no illusions about
that. When we seek cessation, we seek change and change can be upsetting. Most
people do not particularly relish change and some do fear it. But in this case
there is no reason for fear. We need to take that fear and turn it into hope.
Fear will keep us addicted. Fear is the addiction's friend. Hope on the other
hand is the seed of cessation.

We are not our addiction. But if we are not careful it is
possible for us to become our fears. And if we choose to become our fears, we
will, once again choose our addiction...

nonic

• Quit Meter

$66,538.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1302 Hours: 22

Minutes: 47 Seconds: 56

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

11 years ago 0 1140 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Litza,

One of the mental exercises/ games I did with myself was to tell myself that I already was a non-smoker. My rationale was that, for most of the day, I didn't smoke. I only did it every 30 minutes-3 hours, depending on circumstances. So during the time when I wasn't lit up, I was a non smoker. So it was only a matter of getting used to being a non-smoker for the rest of the time.   Then I could focus on doing what I would be doing during those nonsmoking times.
  • Quit Meter

$22,536.40

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 602 Hours: 8

Minutes: 59 Seconds: 31

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

11 years ago 0 153 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
That is great going Litsa!  Although I haven't smoked for 2 months I'm only slowly weaning off the nicotine (NRT gum) and have about 2 months to go according to my plan before I'm nicotine free.  I'm really looking forward to the day I am at the point you now are. As far as redefining myself, I have taken several steps in personal emotional growth over the last 5 years. Each one I achieve motivates me to strive towards achieving the next one and makes it seem more attainable. However, I also agree with Eyja in that I don't think smoking defines who we are but rather it's one negative aspect of behaviour we can work on changing.  I've lost 40 lbs. (5 years ago), quit drinking alcohol (3 years ago), am now a competitive athlete and no longer require any type of prescription medication.  I find that with each goal I achieve I feel stronger and more confident but my basic values, beliefs, etc. remain the same.  I just wish I had tackled Nicodemon much much earlier.  Oh well, better now than never.
11 years ago 0 2778 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Litsa!!!

Way to go!!!  You ARE doing great so far!!!  Be sure to reward yourself for those hard earned 2 weeks!  Heck with that... reward yourself daily for remaining smoke free for every day!  Yes, that's coming from a guy that does rewards to this day... every day!  WE deserve it!!! 

I would ask yourself if you believe that you need to redefine yourself.  Of course, you are now Litsa the non-smoker, but what else do you want to be?  Do you have other goals that you want to accomplish that you couldn't as a smoker?  If so, get after them!  You don't have that ball and chain to deal with any more!    Freedom from the demon is a wonderful thing!  Go on... live!!!

Jim
  • Quit Meter

$44,257.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1059 Hours: 4

Minutes: 0 Seconds: 52

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

11 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Litsa,

First of all congratulation on getting through Heck Week. How did you celebrate? How are you reminding yourself to be present to all your hard work?

Eyja has given you some fantastic advice, spend some time thinking about her post.

To add, I encourage you to take a good look at the "Seeing Yourself as a Non Smoker" page in Milestone 2. Spend some time thinking about the questions on that page and in the buttons. The beautiful thing about right now is that you have the choice to be whoever you want to be - so create it! The more you practice being the new non smoking you the more natural it will feel.

Feel free to post your responses to the questions in "Seeing Yourself as a Non Smoker" here or in your blog.

Have fun!

Ashley, Health Educator
11 years ago 0 823 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hmm!  This sounds like Nicodemon (aka 'junkie thinking') trying to define you Litsa.  You know everything you are and all that you do as a human being is what defines you.  I believe that smoking is simply a bad habit you've picked up along the way. That's all it is! A bad habit that you've dropped now.  Good for you!  It's just that after all those years of smoking, you feel like an imposter when you try to label yourself as a non-smoker. So maybe don't worry about the label for now, and just concentrate on enjoying every day that you remain smoke free. As you work through the process of quitting, you start to realize (at least for me) that the things you care about; your morals, values, sense of humor, talents and personality all remain intact!  You don't have to recreate YOU - unless you're at a point in your life when quitting smoking is the first step in a major overhaul of your entire character and you want to forget a lot of things about yourself - which can happen too:)  you can work through these craves one at a time, learn something from each of your triggers, acknowledge them; thank you very much - and get on with your life as the same awesome person you've grown to become - just without the bad habit!  
Not sure if that helps at all Litsa - but was something I discovered through the early days of my own quit, so thought I'd share.  Yay for you for making it through Heck week!  You're on a roll now
: ) 
11 years ago 0 43 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
So, Heck Week is behind me and I am so happy that I have stayed strong and not smoked. I don't think I could have done it without the Champix - so thank you to the clever people out there who developed this drug!
I have been smoking around 20 cigarettes a day for 27 years. I have quit for two weeks, so I can safely say that I have not been a non-smoker long enough to believe that I have achieved this hallowed status - I am trying every day to get there. What I do realize though is that the past 27 years of smoking have defined me in a way that I now have to undo. I have to recreate ME as a non-smoker. The person I was must somehow be forgotten; I have to be someone else, someone who does not smoke. How do you do that?

Reading this thread: