Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,529 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou

Having a Tough Day?

15 years ago 0 101 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks for the list Rusty (and the others who contributed to more).  I quit smoking and then threw myself into a healthy eating, exercising because I am the type that needs to replace a bad habit that I'm getting rid of with a good habit.  I walk with my neighbor in the evenings and go outside and walk walk walk when I have my cravings.  It reminds me that my lungs are able to take more air in and I feel great.

Kasi

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 7/3/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 55
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 1,100
Amount Saved: $233.75
Life Gained:
Days: 5 Hrs: 0 Mins: 10 Seconds: 36

15 years ago 0 649 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Another thought to add 

This one took me a while to do but a lot of my bad cravings were associated with performing daily-routine tasks so I would avoid them.  After a while I started to force myself to do them when I was craving bad to show myself I could get through them.   They slowly got easier to do, and the association begins to weaken.

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 11/19/2007
Smoke-Free Days: 281
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 4,215
Amount Saved: $948.38
Life Gained:
Days: 45 Hrs: 5 Mins: 21 Seconds: 2

15 years ago 0 136 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Great idea, freespirit!  Thanks for adding to the list.

Rusty

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 12/13/2004
Smoke-Free Days: 1352
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 68,952
Amount Saved: $15,514.20
Life Gained:
Days: 120 Hrs: 14 Mins: 34 Seconds: 58

15 years ago 0 19 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
What I have started to do - is do like sit-ups or tummy crunches etc.  it only take about 1-2 minutes of doing this and the craving is gone. 

This way your also getting some exercise in at the same time your waiting for your craving to end.  cravings only last about 5 min tops.   So if you do some quick exercise you totally for get about your craving and when you are done you really are not thinking of a cig anymore.  And you also just helped to tighten up to muscles in your body at the same time.

"kills two birds in one stone" as the saying goes.

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 8/20/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 5
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 125
Amount Saved: $25.00
Life Gained:
Days: 0 Hrs: 14 Mins: 41 Seconds: 12

15 years ago 0 1693 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Amazing suggestions Rusty! Thank you so much

Does anybody else have anything else to add to the list?!

Breanne, Bilingual Health Educator
15 years ago 0 136 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Things to Do When You Are Having a Tough Day

1. Drink lots of water. Water keeps you hydrated, occupies your mouth, and helps push the nicotine and other harmful chemicals out of your body.
2. Eat! As the nicotine leaves, your blood sugar goes down. This can make you cross, antsy, nutso, and shaky. So keep your blood sugar up by eating something healthy every couple of hours – fruit, cheese, yogurt, raisins, crackers.
3. Breathe! Abdominal breathing can help you through a crave and fills your body with nourishing, cleansing oxygen. Count to five while you inhale deeply all the way down into your stomach and then into your chest. Hold for five, and release for five. Do this as often as necessary.
4. Relax! Lie down on the floor. Starting with your toes, consciously relax each part of your body. Move up your body, relaxing each part. If you don’t know what “relaxed” feels like, tense the body part and then let it go. Don’t forget to relax your butt, your shoulders, your jaw, your eyes, your forehead. Do abdominal breathing while you are relaxing.
5. Put on some wonderful music – music that helps you relax and quiets your mind.
6. Take a walk. Movement releases endorphins that boost your moods.
7. Take a nap. Put on your jammies, close the drapes, get under the covers, do some deep breathing and relaxation, and let yourself go to Sleepy Land.
8. Stretch. Get down on all fours and stretch your back up like a cat and then stretch it down. Lift your arms up and stretch through the fingertips.
9. Give yourself permission to do nothing. Sit on the couch and watch a movie. Sit on the computer and play a game. It’s okay. You don’t have to busy all the time.
10. Don’t get overwhelmed by all the stuff that’s not getting done. Do just one thing if you really want to. Clean your underwear drawer or your bathroom sink. Pick up the bills off the dining room table. Remember that it will all be there tomorrow and Martha Stewart probably isn’t stopping by. (Lock the door in case she does, though).
My Milage:

My Quit Date: 12/13/2004
Smoke-Free Days: 1351
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 68,901
Amount Saved: $15,502.73
Life Gained:
Days: 120 Hrs: 12 Mins: 59 Seconds: 4

Reading this thread: